Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk great additions

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Let's talk great additions

I've had a couple conversations with other reefers about how this site has been a little Craigslisty the last few years with less in depth conversation and more just about making sales (among other reasons ...and myself included on that sales one lol). So I thought I'd start a constructive discussion.

What has been your favorite addition to this hobby that you've made? I was originally just thinking in terms of equipment but if you've added a new invert, fish or coral that has made an impact that's cool too.

I'll start things off with something that was by far my favorite addition to any system I've had over the years. Though it was short lived on my main due to other unforseen events, the addition of the canopy I built last year was a game changer for me. I put quite a bit of thought into the engineering of this thing and it made a huge difference in dealing with anything that was inside -whether it be getting in the tank for trimming corals, doing some aquascapping, messing with my lighting or just a quick feeding. Having more flexibility to access less/more of my system enabled me to make short work of what was a bit more tedious before hand. Though I'm not currently using it and do have it posted to rehome (I know, shameless plug hehe) as I don't think I'll be setting up another tank that size too soon, having built this has stirred my thought pot for future systems down the road.

What are some things you guys have added?

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Good / fun thread.

1) DC pumps - return pumps specifically. Love them. Powerful, energy efficient, long-lasting. Don’t tend to shock me like the Rio’s, Mag drives, and QuietOne’s.. lol

2) LED lights - love the color customization as less heat.

3) Pygmy Dwarf Angel - I had one in my very first ever saltwater tank and it’s been a beloved favorite ever since. I recently got one again for my current tank and was in love!... until my *****y clowns killed it...

BigMikeSD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

My favorite addition so far is my ATO... when I started in Feb it was a Fluval Evo, then a 45 AIO, figured I really didn't need an ATO as I was topping off maybe 2 cups a day in the 45 since it was covered. Moved up to a 90 with sump and now I'm between half and a full gallon a day... the ATO makes a huge difference.

Kris.C is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Geeky

Chaeto Reactor, been a game changer for nitrate control when you don’t have room for a sump underneath the display. Fish wise, my HI dwarf golden moray. Took me 7 months to find one but well worth it, model reef tank citizen and shares a cave with my super male flame wrasse at night.

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Nice thread!!! So a few things for me in order of how I added them.

1. ATO, must have for larger tanks. My evap fluctuates drastically depending on temp and these are great for maintaining water level and salinity.

2. Dosing pump. IMO either this or a calcium reactor are a must have to maintain the crucial three, mag, alk, cal.

3. GFO reactor. Even with the reactor I have a hell of a time keeping my phosphates down. I have ALOT of fish and I feed them ALOT. I run gfo and carbon together in this reactor

4. Bio-pellet reactor. This is to go along with my heavy bio load and the fact I feed a ton.

5. Waveline DC pump. Much more quite then the ocean runner I had, less heat, and lower energy consumption.

Drama D is offline Registered User
      My status is: Uncertain

I am:
      Piratey

DJ power strips. It's always great to be able to turn off just one piece of equip or add another piece. No hassle with programming a controller. Besides overloading a circuit hehehe I think they are great.
      I've been debating the filter cups and ditching the socks. Still not sold on them yet as I'd have to still clean the cups. Maybe one of those roller mats in the future, anyone that has either care to chime in?

cboltsd is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have run refugiums and reactors in the past and decided to give the algae scrubber a go. It's a DIY so I'll see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

Enjoying this thread.

I added SDReefs looking for deals, but I’ve stayed for the chatbox.

Biggest “add” over a long time of reefing has been Bayer Dips for everything that goes into the tank.

jessegarcia28 is offline Registered User
      My status is: @work

I am:
      Sneaky

Great Thread 👍🏻

Just a reminder Sdr
      I have a 30g available for sale $$$$$
      HMU

Ahhahajaha
      Jk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeaceAndFish is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

+1 on the chaeto reactor. It’s nice not to have to worry about nutrients going wild. It does take some getting used to at one point nitrates were undetectable and my corals did not like it.

An aquarium controller. Never thought I would need one and now it’s hard seeing myself without one.

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Anything wifi I feel has helped improve on the go lifestyles front adjustability, monitoring and so on.

+1 for ATO
      I've always wanted to try a chaeto reactor maybe one day.

HHN is offline Registered User
      My status is: Selling - Carlsbad - 92009 -
      six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Nice thread Dan...

I might be a bit new to meaningfully contribute (tank is 4 months old)...but...
      1) Corals
      2) Apex Jr (..the basic functions of controlling powerheads, linking fan and heaters to thermometer, real time and historical info....and the possibilities are endless)
      3) Dosing pump (...I tried the DIY route, but it required too much attention)
      4) Hanna testing kits (...especially for people that need to test a lot initially, well worth the investment, as in, cheaper in the long run).

decastro is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

My favorite addition would have to be the radions i always wanted leds cause I get suckerd in to what ever has the cool videos but im glad i mad the switch do they grow any thing better im not to sure but i love them

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Great responses guys! Yeah I gotta say I do love my algae reactors!

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

OOH! Good thread!

Yea, definitely some hardware learning curves and additions like the ato. I had a 5g Nano that taught me that years ago. It ran about 3.5 years with a CFL and some cheap RGBW leds. Once it was salinity stable, the thing grew my Blasto merletti like Mad.
      The SBreeflights on the 30 gal were a major upgrade in a way. As soon as I added it stuff just plain grew like it never did before. made me feel like a genius. The Acros and SPS I had for years just blew up literally in days in some cases. I put 2 on my 55 last year I liked em so much.

Livestock? dunno. Ive had Jelly fish, Huge carnation corals, Nudibranchs and some seriously cool strange that Vance and all our local LFS folks have hooked me up with over the years. So that's hard to pic a best from.

To be honest, and I guess a bit philosophical, the best additions always came from learning more. Buying frags and gear here in SD with ya'll, I got see dozens of tanks and kind see what folks are doing right and sometimes wrong or what they're struggling with.
      Once the boards here got a bit "Craigslisty" and the meetings waned, I got into Reef2reef and had the opportunity to talk reef with hundreds if not thousands of folks reefing from all over the place. From chemists, scientists, Growers,light and hardware manufactures to dudes who just have the knack of growing coral and have just wildly diverse backgrounds and experiences that help em in the hobby. . And at the same time I got help out a lot of looks just starting in the hobby with the little bit I know.(10 year noob)
      Im 25+ in lighting, so that's my thing, but Ive gotten some amazing help with biology by reading and getting to talk to actual biologists and scientists. (and MANY acro-holics). pretty much why i made a push for meetings a while back and hoping the new club gets more speakers and such going.

So best additions:New Knowledge and experience.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information