• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How many of you Reefers Bbq (Gas/charcoal/wood pellet)?

moon doggy1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Check out Clark Howard .com and look under deals they have a pellet grill for a good price, cheap way to get in the hobby. I cannot speak for the quality, but for some price is right.

I have a 18" Weber Smoky Mountain.
      A 1980 all stainless Hasty Bake made in Tulsa Ok, reverse Santa Maria cooker.
      Old Smokey made in Houston Tx, I have the 22" model, cheap way to get into BBQ'ing, I would get the 18" model somewhere around 75 bucks it can do a 12 hour cook with charcoal or lump. I bought mine at Ace free shipping in store pickup.

Yoder are very nice, built to last, do a proper season on the cooker. I like there charcoal Grill it is a beast and way to big for my family, but WOW!

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeSD View Post
      Intending on the ys480, will probably get the ys640 though. I bought a Murphy bed from Costco, returned it a year later after a move and it fell apart being reinstalled, I do love their return policy.

I'm not a pitmaster but I turn out some okay meat. I've had 2 Traegers, good machines, my current model is too small for anything more than 4 people. The Louisiana I looked at was near 1k, it's nice looking but mixed reports abound, I figure a couple bills more to get one built like a tank that will last me 10+ years is a better long term investment.
      with my century 34. With the lower heating compartment I can cook. For at least 6 people 2 kids and have leftovers I'd say safely 8 adults for a meal that has to be smoked and cooked long term.
      But if flipping dogs burgers and steaks. It can feed more easily. I just like to go big on everything can it was not 1k but was still pricey any grill good quality and size is easily 750 and up to the thousands.

I'm looking for a medium affordable charcoal grill to do searing and different flavor also. Want to try sous-vide with a wifi digital controller and then once ready. Throw it on a grill sear it and enjoy it
      Last edited by CMD2213; 06-29-2018 at 07:09 PM.

BigMikeSD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Well thanks to the subliminal thought implant from CMD2213 I ended up going to Costco last night and brought home a Louisiana LG900. Cost was less than half what I was going to put into the Yoder and if I don't like it I can roll it back. 14g steel, side smoke box, sliding grate with access to direct flame and enough left over to go buy a new Apex controller.

BTW Moon Doggy, how do you like your Hasty Bake? I was really looking hard at those and the M1, I'd prefer a machine that ran lump and chunk or sticks but I was reminded that other people in the house may want to use it too so I was regulated to the pellet machines.
      Last edited by BigMikeSD; 06-30-2018 at 04:14 AM.

I am:
      Tired

Well thanks to the subliminal thought implant from CMD2213 I ended up going to Costco last night and brought home a Louisiana LG900. Cost was less than half what I was going to put into the Yoder and if I don't like it I can roll it back. 14g steel, side smoke box, sliding grate with access to direct flame and enough left over to go buy a new Apex controller.

BTW Moon Doggy, how do you like your Hasty Bake? I was really looking hard at those and the M1, I'd prefer a machine that ran lump and chunk or sticks but I was reminded that other people in the house may want to use it too so I was regulated to the pellet machines.
      Did you tell them I referred you...lol

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Good choice Big Mike make sure you season your new cooker. I bought the Hasty Bake from a guy for 100 bucks, I asked him where he got it and he said his dad, who is a Okie. The Hasty Bake works great on chicken and try tip, two out of three foods I cook the most. The problem with it is that the door does not seal as good as it should so doing a long cook makes it a little tough. The M! looks really good but they are pricey like the Hasty Bake. I do love cooking with lump, try tip is great. For Tri tip I use Pappy's Choice from Smart and Final or the the stall worth Suzie Q..

For Pork I followed Slap your Daddys recommendation on Amazon on how to season my WSM and I only cook pork on that cooker. Lots of fun and I love the new hobby.

PS all my cookers I got for 100 bucks or less. Not easy to do but patience pays off.

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by moon doggy1 View Post
      Good choice Big Mike make sure you season your new cooker. I bought the Hasty Bake from a guy for 100 bucks, I asked him where he got it and he said his dad, who is a Okie. The Hasty Bake works great on chicken and try tip, two out of three foods I cook the most. The problem with it is that the door does not seal as good as it should so doing a long cook makes it a little tough. The M! looks really good but they are pricey like the Hasty Bake. I do love cooking with lump, try tip is great. For Tri tip I use Pappy's Choice from Smart and Final or the the stall worth Suzie Q..

For Pork I followed Slap your Daddys recommendation on Amazon on how to season my WSM and I only cook pork on that cooker. Lots of fun and I love the new hobby.

PS all my cookers I got for 100 bucks or less. Not easy to do but patience pays off.
      what do you mean by season his cooker?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

There are lots of video on You Tube showing how to season your grill. Gator Pits shows how to do it. basically you heat the grill up and spray vegetable oil all over the inside of the cooker and wipe it around, this seals the pores of the metal, if you ever welded something you will always see a rust ring, you should also seal the outside unless it is powercoated or painted. Every grill is different when it comes to the external finish so most probably do not needed to be seasoned but the inside for sure.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt0N7FnJkNo Makes sure you have your volume down low.

I am:
      Tired

Dammit now I have to do a full on wipe down and season the grill I only seasoned my cast iton stuff

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

yep two 45 min burns this morning with salt pork

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Well....back to the drawing board.

I rented a uhaul trailer tonight to take the LG over to my friends for the 4th. Plan was to grab a couple butts hehe, some turkey breast, some dogs etc and treat everyone to some good ol fashioned bbq. Well the LG managed to fall apart when I arrived....got it half off the trailer, and boom the wheels busted off...they fell the hell off. The bearings gave out and it collapsed. Fortunately I had a trailer so back to Costco it went.

I am:
      Tired

Well....back to the drawing board.

I rented a uhaul trailer tonight to take the LG over to my friends for the 4th. Plan was to grab a couple butts hehe, some turkey breast, some dogs etc and treat everyone to some good ol fashioned bbq. Well the LG managed to fall apart when I arrived....got it half off the trailer, and boom the wheels busted off...they fell the hell off. The bearings gave out and it collapsed. Fortunately I had a trailer so back to Costco it went.
      lol ***.... sorry to hear that I'm rough with my traeger it hasn't fell apart yet but like you I'll take it right back

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

Following this thread has brought me to the firm resolution that if I were ever to get married again, for sure I will pick up the next bride at Costco. They have a large selection of those sample servers, maybe one of them could be the ticket? Once the wheels come off (and they always do) I'll just load her up in the u-haul and back she goes the next morning, no questions asked. I'm totally doing this. I love America!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
      Following this thread has brought me to the firm resolution that if I were ever to get married again, for sure I will pick up the next bride at Costco. They have a large selection of those sample servers, maybe one of them could be the ticket? Once the wheels come off (and they always do) I'll just load her up in the u-haul and back she goes the next morning, no questions asked. I'm totally doing this. I love America!
      Post of the week right there!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information