• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you Reefers Bbq (Gas/charcoal/wood pellet)?

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

How many of you Reefers Bbq (Gas/charcoal/wood pellet)?

I recently bought a Traeger Century 34 with a lower warming compartment. I am currently smoking 3 chicken breast and some veggies for the first time, past 2 times were cooked wood fire style.
      I find using a grill is more enjoyable and helps encourage me to cook more often. As time goes I'll want to try more complicated things and wanted to know how many of us reefers are grillers as well?

Share what you got?
      What type/brand of charcoal or pellets used?
      How long you been grilling?
      Favorite dishes?
      Possibly details on the dish/recipe/time cooked/etc.?
      Your thoughts on pros and cons of your type of grill?

Pretty much just a random chat about anything related.

Thanks,
      Mike
      Last edited by CMD2213; 05-24-2018 at 10:40 AM.

pirate2876 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Poorly

Oh man, I've been eye-ballin a smoker for a while now! Anyone run a Big Green Egg? It's between that and a Traeger smoker for me. Currently I have a Weber Genesis II that is a great grill.

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by pirate2876 View Post
      Oh man, I've been eye-ballin a smoker for a while now! Anyone run a Big Green Egg? It's between that and a Traeger smoker for me. Currently I have a Weber Genesis II that is a great grill.
      I was looking at the eggs but the traeger was more my style and size. I'm going to be buying a rib tack to hold 8 ribs and smoke those next week hopefully.
      I was looking at the genesis models too but eventually I'll buy another grill to try different methods. Costco has the best deals on traeger when they go there for the sales.

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Love my BGE. Use it for pizza, grilling & smoking. It is awesome for smoking & baking but less awesome for grilling because the lid doesn’t move far enough back and ends up cupping the smoke (doable tho); favorite thing done in it is lasagna but it shines when you’re smoking- it handled a 16hr brisket without running out of coal and kept it a constant 220

jetli1969 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Honey, stay away from my fish
      tank!

I am:
      Awesome

Don't share what u got, invite me over instead! Lol

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

I have an old school barrel shaped bbq grill that I fire with Kingsford briquettes ignited with a chimney (no lighter fluid) starter. No match light either.
      Hamburgers, skewers, steaks (beef, pork, barking dogs, etc) and Salmon-skin-down on the grill even if it’s raining.
      Corn & onions occasionally.
      Kingsford is on sale at Lowe’s this weekend, but Walmart has the same deal in smaller bags. I sometimes toss on some oak chips for smoke.

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyjay View Post
      Love my BGE. Use it for pizza, grilling & smoking. It is awesome for smoking & baking but less awesome for grilling because the lid doesn’t move far enough back and ends up cupping the smoke (doable tho); favorite thing done in it is lasagna but it shines when you’re smoking- it handled a 16hr brisket without running out of coal and kept it a constant 220
      Nice I haven't done anything that long yet but the hopper holds a good amount I'll find out soon enough . I definitely want to.try a pizza.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
      I have an old school barrel shaped bbq grill that I fire with Kingsford briquettes ignited with a chimney (no lighter fluid) starter. No match light either.
      Hamburgers, skewers, steaks (beef, pork, barking dogs, etc) and Salmon-skin-down on the grill even if it’s raining.
      Corn & onions occasionally.
      Kingsford is on sale at Lowe’s this weekend, but Walmart has the same deal in smaller bags. I sometimes toss on some oak chips for smoke.
      nice the wife wants to try some skewers but I'm still gauging the temps to run for cooking various things simultaneously to.get them just right so everything's hot and ready to go at the same time

slicktoppomp is offline Registered User
      My status is: So you mean i can write
      anything here??

I am:
      Down

I’ve got a small Traeger can remember the model. It’s about 3 years old and still working awesome. I use Traeger brand pellets but I’ll use whatever else the local hardware store gets to experiment. They carry all the Traeger brand stuff though which is nice.

I like the mesquite, Apple and mostly the pecan pellets. That pecan smoke is nice and sweet.

I’ll smoke anything on that thing. I use it as my grill for everything. Burgers, hot dogs carne asada. Everything turns out good. Only thing I miss sometimes is that awesome flavor you get from real charcoal.

My favorite things to do though are big pork shoulders for pulled pork. Done some long 16-18 hour sessions with some shoulders. Most fun thing I did cause it was a long process was me and a buddy did a pastrami. He brined and pickled it and I smoked it. Turned out awesome. Next big thing I wanna do eventually is a full packer brisket. Sometimes you can find a good deal on those at Costco for 70-90 bucks.

Fun stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyK731 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Love my traeger pro 22 . I use it 5 times a week at least. I’ve had it since December and have done so many different meats and styles. I really just goto the store find something I want to try eat home type that plus traeger into google and boom dinner. I really only do that to find out what temp and the amount of time to do it at. Some times I’ll follow the recipes but often I don’t have what it’s calling for. london broil
      burgers
      chops
      easter ham
      beef Roast
      321 ribs a favorite. I have three racks I’m going to do this weekend

All pellet flavors are great I really need to do pizza and I’ve done multiple different fish from smoked tuna to bake salmon.

I am:
      Tired

@slicktoppomp
      I have only tried gourmet pellets and bought a few rubs
      Chicken rub
      Traeger rub (garlic/chili pepper) rec. Hickory pellets
      Pork & poultry rub (apple/honey) rec. Apple pellets

Recently bough Hickory pellets maybe I'll grab a few other bags. To try different flavors of smoking..
      Every meals a learning curve
      You've cooked way more things than I have I've had it almost a week made 3 meals so far.

@JohnnyK731
      Yea I use the traeger Google method as well for time frames and ideas. I have learned chicken breast is not the beat for smoking the exterior was a bit tough. But also learned a few techniques. Drying the chicken off then applying the rub prior to cooking helps avoid such rubbery exterior .

Salmon comes out just right,smoking veggies works well...wrapped asparagus in foil with butter salt and garlic powder.

Pizza is along with ribs on the next to try list.
      This weekend I'll be doing mussels,corn,flank steak, salmon, mushrooms,asparagus and whatever else I find in the fridge lol...
      Btw those ribs look great

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      @slicktoppomp
      I have only tried gourmet pellets and bought a few rubs
      Chicken rub
      Traeger rub (garlic/chili pepper) rec. Hickory pellets
      Pork & poultry rub (apple/honey) rec. Apple pellets

Recently bough Hickory pellets maybe I'll grab a few other bags. To try different flavors of smoking..
      Every meals a learning curve
      You've cooked way more things than I have I've had it almost a week made 3 meals so far.

@JohnnyK731
      Yea I use the traeger Google method as well for time frames and ideas. I have learned chicken breast is not the beat for smoking the exterior was a bit tough. But also learned a few techniques. Drying the chicken off then applying the rub prior to cooking helps avoid such rubbery exterior .

Salmon comes out just right,smoking veggies works well...wrapped asparagus in foil with butter salt and garlic powder.

Pizza is along with ribs on the next to try list.
      This weekend I'll be doing mussels,corn,flank steak, salmon, mushrooms,asparagus and whatever else I find in the fridge lol...
      Btw those ribs look great
      Oh I forgot to add I do all veggies asparagus is just amazing. I didn’t show any of the chickens I’ve done. I usual marinade it for at min two hours then use 350 for an hour and it’s perfect for any cut too. The dry off method prior a run is always best. Def don’t smoke chicken.
      If you want to smoke a chicken brine the entire chicken over night and then smoke very slow about 3-4 hours and beer can chicken oh man.

Def try the 321 ribs 3 smoke 2 tinfoil at 225 and one hour 225 with sauce. Please be sure to remove the membrane off the bone side it it’s all the difference. Best don’t when extremely cold and use butter knife to get it started.

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK731 View Post
      Oh I forgot to add I do all veggies asparagus is just amazing. I didn’t show any of the chickens I’ve done. I usual marinade it for at min two hours then use 350 for an hour and it’s perfect for any cut too. The dry off method prior a run is always best. Def don’t smoke chicken.
      If you want to smoke a chicken brine the entire chicken over night and then smoke very slow about 3-4 hours and beer can chicken oh man.

Def try the 321 ribs 3 smoke 2 tinfoil at 225 and one hour 225 with sauce. Please be sure to remove the membrane off the bone side it it’s all the difference. Best don’t when extremely cold and use butter knife to get it started.

thanks I'll try that sometime next week I actually dont mind cooking daily now haha

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sounds like you almost had bbq fish you talked me off of a cobalt ledge.

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyjay View Post
      Sounds like you almost had bbq fish you talked me off of a cobalt ledge.
      lol..I've had a tank infection that wiped me out of 3+ years of collection and growout that I literally had no space to put anymore frag plugs. Took 6 days before I figured out what it was(white fungus/aka zoa/paly death)... if the heater would have fried my tank I would have been done with the hobby. I've got a good amount of zoas and high end shrooms only thing would have made it is some stuff I left at Vance's. Just glad I caught it in time tank, currently the tank is heaterless ar 73.4°.
      I'll never buy another 1.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      lol..I've had a tank infection that wiped me out of 3+ years of collection and growout that I literally had no space to put anymore frag plugs. Took 6 days before I figured out what it was(white fungus/aka zoa/paly death)... if the heater would have fried my tank I would have been done with the hobby. I've got a good amount of zoas and high end shrooms only thing would have made it is some stuff I left at Vance's. Just glad I caught it in time tank, currently the tank is heaterless ar 73.4°.
      I'll never buy another 1.
      My finnex has been running great for 18 months

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information