• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing anymore?

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You have to give me a good deal because how am I supposed to pay for my BMW and a reef tank at the same time????

(I don't really have a BMW)

aquanicssd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Down

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
      You can find the collector crap pretty much everywhere, there's so many quality shops and hobbiest with tons of stuff for cheap that it doesn't really make sense to try and post "collector" pieces for top dollar.
      Yeah, I'm already seeing prices drop on stuff I bought a year ago. I'd have to sell 3 frags just to pay for the first frag. Also there's easily 3 shops I could go to that look fairly similar to the stuff in "high end". If I was looking for a specific type, I could easily see paying something extra... But the more frags we sell, the quicker the market will become flooded with them.

Selling of R2R would make more sense because it's not as localized, therefore less flooded that just the SD region.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

We are lucky in San Diego. People in North Dakota don't have many reef shops to go to.

Mps is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Once u get to know who has what u can contact them directly but be ready to pay what they ask. I have had people offer me 10 for a $15 coral. This is just a silly example but it says a lot as to why there is no high end stuff listed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emc is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by aquanicssd View Post
      Yeah, I'm already seeing prices drop on stuff I bought a year ago. I'd have to sell 3 frags just to pay for the first frag. Also there's easily 3 shops I could go to that look fairly similar to the stuff in "high end". If I was looking for a specific type, I could easily see paying something extra... But the more frags we sell, the quicker the market will become flooded with them.

Selling of R2R would make more sense because it's not as localized, therefore less flooded that just the SD region.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      i think this has a lot to do with it also. Not sure where people got the notion they could have a reef pay for itself because they bought some corals they felt they could profit from. This hobby will never be free for anyone. If people realized offsetting some costs is the best most can hope for they’d be better off and wouldn’t have he idea they can have the same reef they saw in someone’s pics on the mentioned Betta bowl budget...

Emc is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If you’re needing a co-signer to buy a bounce mushroom so you can sell he first baby and get out of debt, something’s very wrong

Livinlocal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Mps View Post
      Once u get to know who has what u can contact them directly but be ready to pay what they ask. I have had people offer me 10 for a $15 coral. This is just a silly example but it says a lot as to why there is no high end stuff listed here.

I have a $5 and $10 section just because of this.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I had a 3 polyp frag of Utter Chaos that took over a week to sell for $10, so that says A LOT.

d-man is offline Registered User
      My status is: Just snorkeling in my tank

I am:
      Amused

Lol. I hear you guys. Pretty silly sometimes

luckyazn6 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I think you guys are pretty fair. I've only been in the hobby for a year but enjoy browsing sdr

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by luckyazn6 View Post
      I think you guys are pretty fair. I've only been in the hobby for a year but enjoy browsing sdr

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think it’s because most of us that are collectors, don’t even post anything high end on here, so everything you see seems fair because we only post the lower priced stuff.

OCDreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Livinlocal View Post
      I think it’s because most of us that are collectors, don’t even post anything high end on here, so everything you see seems fair because we only post the lower priced stuff.
      Hahaha, I love this thread. It's all true. Livin and everyone else on here is making some excellent points. I really wish there was a healthier public market for the high end stuff here otherwise I'd be posting a lot more than I do. Keep reefing hard my friends and stay thirsty 💦🌈💙🔥💥

brandon0350 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

The collectors know who the other collectors are and we usually just send a text or pm if we're looking for something special

PresidntEvil is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I understand all the points that are being made, but isn't a bit of price gouging if you buy (for example) "Jawbreaker" mushroom for $100, put it in your tank for a while and it multiplies, soon you have 5 JB mushrooms that you frag, and sell them for $100 each?
      SPS guys, buy a "WD" coral, frag it, and sell it for the same price you bought it for? After a few frags, you already made your money, why not drop the price a bit? Is that so bad?
      Make them more available to the regular hobbyist. Everyone on SDR should have a nice reef.

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I think it’s the sellers driving the costs down more than the buyers with old fashion competition. Once someone decides they want to flood the market with their agreesively growing 100$ “branded” polyp for $8pp it’s no longer a 100$ polyp. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t post using sdreefs... it’s free- you don’t even need to pony up the $25/yr support fee. The rules and etiquette also favor the seller. If you post saying the price is firm and someone barters- then they’re a dbag that you just say “no” to and don’t invite back. Then again I’m good with 1/3 value @ my lfs and am probably just one bad experience from the same opinion. Just remember “collectors”... it’ll be that local guy you hooked up that’ll have a backup of your colony if yours goes south.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information