• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tank Crash

Accio is offline Registered User
      My status is: Buying zoas

I am:
      Awesome

Also if it was a lack of aeration we'd expect a pH on the higher end. Do you remeber what it tested op?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

If you were having low oxygen, the fish will try to pass more water over their gills to get O2. The fishes gill plates are generally beating rapidly, often with the fish breathing at the water surface where O2 exchange is higher.

If you think there is a "toxin" in the new gravel or live rock you might want to filter the tank with carbon or Poly Filter.

I assume that the tank salinity is good.

What behavior or characteristic are you describing when you say the clown isnt "looking good?"

robirwin1245 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It's been over a month and a half since the move - this started 6 days ago - lost 0 fish until more than a month went by then suddenly 1 fish a day for 5 days. No sign of ick or anything visible.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I do think I have seen the fish breathing rapidly. I do have carbon and a poly filter in then tank. I put the poly filter in today. The clown looks a little discolored and his fins aren't as perfect as they were yesterday - maybe breathing hard too.

Accio is offline Registered User
      My status is: Buying zoas

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
      If you were having low oxygen, the fish will try to pass more water over their gills to get O2. The fishes gill plates are generally beating rapidly, often with the fish breathing at the water surface where O2 exchange is higher.

If you think there is a "toxin" in the new gravel or live rock you might want to filter the tank with carbon or Poly Filter.

I assume that the tank salinity is good.

What behavior or characteristic are you describing when you say the clown isnt "looking good?"
      Ditto, I want to know what the symptomos before death are. I doubt the o2 idea as I would assume the fish would crowd the surface around the same times as ive seen when I bring larger numbers of Livebearers home in a bag. Usually when fish die in succession that fast I think very aggresive internal parasites or fungus, but the fungus would also be visible.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ph is in-line.

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

If it is low O2 they should recover very quickly. Also, Low O2 generally takes out the largest fish first.

Discoloration sounds more like a disease of the skin. Surface parasites or bacteria can cause discoloration, and they can interrupt gill functioning and make the fish breath faster the same as low O2 would. I hope this is not the case. GL

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Symptoms are - i - porcupine puffer got cloudy eyes and then rested on the floor the next day, later that day wouldn't move. dog faced puffer was laying on the floor a lot more than usual and then was upside down the next day, the yellow tang was also laying flat on the sand in the morning (night before swimming, eating, looking normal) - the tang looked to be breathing hard for a while....the clown right now appears a little discolored, fins frayed a little bit, swimming, maybe breathing a little hard. the last fish, a sail fin tang looks fine and swimming around (not problem so far)

Livinlocal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

With all due respect, and I don’t mean to offend anybody, but you guys are shooting down the idea of low oxygen without having any facts. Literally zero facts. I’m not saying It is 100% a oxygen deficiency, But to steer him away from the possibility of it being a oxygen deficiency without even knowing the symptoms of the fish before death, will do more harm then good, And ultimately we need more facts

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by apax View Post
      still a possibility.... Old stuff 100g to a new 200g... So half the Volume is new (water.. Live rock...etc) sand completely new plus no skimmer... Etc... . sounds like you overloaded the tank to quickly... But if ita cycled correctly then could be oxygen but some fish should gasp for air at the surface??? Right???? But definitely put a skimmer....

Not necessarily because we don’t know if he used Scripps water or mixed. If you use Scripps, there is no cycle time for fish.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Accio View Post
      If its a lack of oxeygen why wouldnt they die after a few days in the tank? Typical symptoms of lack of oxeygen is fish staying very close to the surface and gulping near the surface. Im thinking an internal parasite that may have taken hold due to the stress of the move?

How do you know the fish was not gasping for air? Also, the fish won’t necessarily die in a couple days, no matter what there will still be some oxygen injected into his water column from the overflow, which could be enough to sustain the fish for weeks. Think of it this way as a analogy, if you had a hourglass completely full of sand which was running out, and you kept adding teaspoons of sand to keep it going, it would Stay full longer, but would eventually run out. This is the same with oxygen in the water column. The tank could have had plenty to begin with, but slowly depleted until the fish died.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Accio View Post
      Ditto, I want to know what the symptomos before death are. I doubt the o2 idea as I would assume the fish would crowd the surface around the same times as ive seen when I bring larger numbers of Livebearers home in a bag. Usually when fish die in succession that fast I think very aggresive internal parasites or fungus, but the fungus would also be visible.

But how do you know if the fish were not crowding the surface if the question was not asked and the OP never stated so?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by robirwin1245 View Post
      Symptoms are - i - porcupine puffer got cloudy eyes and then rested on the floor the next day, later that day wouldn't move. dog faced puffer was laying on the floor a lot more than usual and then was upside down the next day, the yellow tang was also laying flat on the sand in the morning (night before swimming, eating, looking normal) - the tang looked to be breathing hard for a while....the clown right now appears a little discolored, fins frayed a little bit, swimming, maybe breathing a little hard. the last fish, a sail fin tang looks fine and swimming around (not problem so far)
      So biggest fish died first... I’m still leaning towards a o2 Deficiency, and if that’s the case it will be easily fixed. Put your powerheads right at the waterline and make a massive air storm for a couple minutes inside your tank, then lower the powerhead enough to where it doesn’t make as many bubbles. If it’s a oxygen deficiency, you will see almost immediate results (12-24hrs). It’s a very easy task to do in order to rule out a oxygen deficiency, Then you could move onto the bigger possibilities like parasites, which may also be the case but we need more information.

what have you done to the tank in the last 6 weeks before your first fish died? Did you add any new fish? Change any filtration ? Added any chemicals ? Do you use scripps water or mix your own?where do you get your top off water, Do you have a rodi filter ? What food do you feed your fish?
      Last edited by Livinlocal; 11-21-2017 at 12:00 AM.

borg is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I also think its a disease of some sort, perhaps bacterial infection. The symptoms youre describing (popeye, fins rot, rapid creathing) point to that, although discoloration and rapid breating can also mean velvet. LivinLocal asked some relevant questions that would likely confirm this.

If you added anything new to the tank (fish, coral), they couldve brought something in.

borg is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Livinlocal View Post
      Not necessarily because we don’t know if he used Scripps water or mixed. If you use Scripps, there is no cycle time for fish.
      Beneficial bacteria which is needed for a cycle lives on actual surfaces (rocks, filter media, etc), not on water. That said, Im sure it doesnt hurt, I just dont think it helps with a cycle all that much, if any at all.

Either way, I dont think its relevant here since the OP said they tested water everyday and didnt see any ammonia.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information