• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: If you could start from scratch...

Gremlin is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If you could start from scratch...

Short story - I'm looking for advice on selecting fish!

Full story -
      I have had my first saltwater tank for a year. 20g cube. 2 clowns, 2 firefish, 1 Bangai, 1 watchman goby, 1 pistol shrimp, 1 pep shrimp, 1 emerald crab. Duncan, Frogspawn, GSP, Shrooms, Zoas and 1 Anem. The Anem has grown to be about 1/3 of my tank (too big). Actually, EVERYthing has been growing (very happy).

So, I am upgrading to a 150g tank (60x24x24) with refugium. Once cycled, I plan to move the anem ASAP as well as the fish over to the 150. Probably keep the 20g as a quarantine tank.

Other than the above 6, I want to add more fish over time. Goal is for color, activity and fun. I'm open to just about anything. If something gets big, I want to start with small fish & let them grow.

Let's keep the discussion going and try to come up with a 'best list' for this novice. Thank you in advance!

Grem

cutterx23 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Are you trying to stick with easier, hardier fish or are you open to some of the nicer stuff that can be a little tougher? i.e. sand dwelling wrasse species, fairy wrasse species, anthias species, tang species, angel fish species (reef safe variety)... as a general rule of thumb start with the least aggressive, most passive fish first and then add the more aggressive species (like the clown fish, which can often become aggressive as they are a damsel species).

Gremlin is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by cutterx23 View Post
      Are you trying to stick with easier, hardier fish or are you open to some of the nicer stuff that can be a little tougher? i.e. sand dwelling wrasse species, fairy wrasse species, anthias species, tang species, angel fish species (reef safe variety)... as a general rule of thumb start with the least aggressive, most passive fish first and then add the more aggressive species (like the clown fish, which can often become aggressive as they are a damsel species).
      Thanks for the quick reply.
      I'm open to new challenges! Another reason I want to start with younger fish - they are cheaper than their adult versions.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information