• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1st SW build

minmay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Thank you imustbenuts. So far its fun but cant wait to actually get to buying stock!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Also SDND do you use the foam block for your media? I tried going to home depot to find some egg crates but they didnt have any. So, I decided to use the foam block for now but cut out the middle so i can also use poly filter.

sdnd is offline Registered User
      My status is: At Work

I am:
      Tired

Yea I'm still using it for now until I get around to making the media basket. Skimmers been doing most of the dirty work...going to run chemi blue and filter floss once that's setup. Tanks been good so far...everything looks happy and have yet to do a water change. 🙄

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by sdnd View Post
      Yea I'm still using it for now until I get around to making the media basket. Skimmers been doing most of the dirty work...going to run chemi blue and filter floss once that's setup. Tanks been good so far...everything looks happy and have yet to do a water change. ��
      I want to use chemi pure elite, seachem purigen and poly fill. I found this website that makes a media basket for our tanks but its out of stock at the moment. http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Fluval-...3plqscsfapp005

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

I put the hood on this morning cuz I wanted to see how the lighting looks.

imustbenuts is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

@minmay the egg crate is a light diffuser. It's found with the commercial lighting. Also, you might want to do some research on sand beds. There are 2 schools of thought. A deep sand bed you don't touch or approx. 1" sand bed you vacuume. Your sand is more than an inch but less than a deep sand bed and may give you trouble in the future. I know nano systems can be unstable and requires more attention than a large aquarium. Stability is key for long term success.
      Last edited by imustbenuts; 03-07-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by imustbenuts View Post
      @minmay the egg crate is a light diffuser. It's found with the commercial lighting. Also, you might want to do some research on sand beds. There are 2 schools of thought. A deep sand bed you don't touch or approx. 1" sand bed you vacuume. Your sand is more than an inch but less than a deep sand bed and may give you trouble in the future. I know nano systems can be unstable and requires more attention than a large aquarium. Stability is key for long term success.
      Ooooo Light diffuser!!! Probably why the workers at home depot didnt know what i was talking about cuz I kept asking gor egg crates lol...i read that sand bed should be 1" -2". When I was putting the water in as slowly as i could i tried to pour the water on the larger rock so that it wouldnt disturb the sandbed but it did anyways cuz it came out all wavy. I kept it wavy cuz I liked the look of it. Should I flatten it out?

imustbenuts is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm sure wavy is fine. You just want to have a good handle on how to care for your tank and understand what to look out for. For example lots of nano guys do 100% water changes instead of the standard 10%. Do your homework so you can enjoy this hobby and not get frustrated.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by imustbenuts View Post
      I'm sure wavy is fine. You just want to have a good handle on how to care for your tank and understand what to look out for. For example lots of nano guys do 100% water changes instead of the standard 10%. Do your homework so you can enjoy this hobby and not get frustrated.
      Wow! 100%??? So its ok for the rock and corals to be exposed to air for awhile? Hmmm I'll do some more research on water changes. Thank you for your input. It really helps me to learn from experienced hobbyist.

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have a 28 gallon with a deep sand bed and do 20% water changes (because it is convenient to do one 5-gallon bucket at a time)

I never had a skimmer but I had a media basket with sponges stacked up in it for the first year and then I took it out, now I have 100% biological filtration. What I do need to do is add more blue to my lights to get my corals happier...

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
      I have a 28 gallon with a deep sand bed and do 20% water changes (because it is convenient to do one 5-gallon bucket at a time)

I never had a skimmer but I had a media basket with sponges stacked up in it for the first year and then I took it out, now I have 100% biological filtration. What I do need to do is add more blue to my lights to get my corals happier...
      I keep ready that its best to do more frequent small water changes than less frequent ones with bigger changes. I only read that ppl with pico tanks do 100% changes. I readdy dont think its necessary for my tank to have a skimmer but I do like the fact that I have that option. I'll do a refugium first and see how that works for me.

esloan is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by minmay View Post
      I keep ready that its best to do more frequent small water changes than less frequent ones with bigger changes. I only read that ppl with pico tanks do 100% changes. I readdy dont think its necessary for my tank to have a skimmer but I do like the fact that I have that option. I'll do a refugium first and see how that works for me.
      Was searching the internet and came across this thread. I am new to the whole reef thing and I also have a Fluval Evo 13.5. I was thinking of adding a refugium as well but I am not sure the best way to do it.

If I set one up in that first chamber, what all would I need to add? Some rock and chaeto? Is that it? I was thinking of using a JBJ Nano Glo LED Refugium Light for light in that chamber. Will that work? Just the light, some rock and some chaeto? Or do I need anything else?

I will run a DIY media basket for the second chamber and probably use filter floss, Seachem Phosgard and Seachem DeNitrate. Will that work okay?

Finally, I upgraded the filter in the third chamber to a Lifegard 800 to increase flow. I also added a Hydor Koralia 240 to the other side of the tank to increase flow.

I am hoping I am on the right track here!

Thanks for any advice!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by esloan View Post
      Was searching the internet and came across this thread. I am new to the whole reef thing and I also have a Fluval Evo 13.5. I was thinking of adding a refugium as well but I am not sure the best way to do it.

If I set one up in that first chamber, what all would I need to add? Some rock and chaeto? Is that it? I was thinking of using a JBJ Nano Glo LED Refugium Light for light in that chamber. Will that work? Just the light, some rock and some chaeto? Or do I need anything else?

I will run a DIY media basket for the second chamber and probably use filter floss, Seachem Phosgard and Seachem DeNitrate. Will that work okay?

Finally, I upgraded the filter in the third chamber to a Lifegard 800 to increase flow. I also added a Hydor Koralia 240 to the other side of the tank to increase flow.

I am hoping I am on the right track here!

Thanks for any advice!
      Hi there esloan. Im sorry for not responding right away. Anyways, I decided to not do refugium. The chamber is just too small and I read that in order for the chaeto to be effective that it needs to be large. So I decided to go with mangrove instead. So the 1st chamber where the skimmer was suppose to be at I have my DIY media basket with poly filter on top, purigen and phosguard on second and carbon last. The 2nd chamber I will have 1 mangrove. The 3rd is of course the stock return and my heater.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information