• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Closed Thread
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who wants a MAX show this April????

inthedeep2 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

if you promote more before this close to a deadline then it may have a better chance at happening.

jessegarcia28 is offline Registered User
      My status is: @work

I am:
      Sneaky

That sucks bro.
      Me and the Fam. Love Max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadMax is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by inthedeep2 View Post
      if you promote more before this close to a deadline then it may have a better chance at happening.
      Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking too.
      Ironically, this may actually have been a godsend to me as I just had spine surgery 7-days ago and its is the most challenging thing I've ever faced.
      I can't imagine the stress of facing a MAX show just weeks after going under the knife.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by jessegarcia28 View Post
      That sucks bro.
      Me and the Fam. Love Max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      People like you are the only reason I would consider a MAX next year, my friend

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

We are still working on the details, but it looks like we are going to give this another try next year (assuming we get enough participation)

The next Marine Aquarium Expo is tentatively set for April 7 - 8, 2018 at the OC Fair & Event Center

For those of you who liked the show, now is the time to lend us a hand by spreading a good word to your favorite vendors.
      Last edited by MadMax; 03-04-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Just to reiterate (since we are receiving so many inquiries) there will be NO Marine Aquarium Expo this year (2017)

coralcoral is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Idea

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
      Just to reiterate (since we are receiving so many inquiries) there will be NO Marine Aquarium Expo this year (2017)
      I think i can help with the organization of this. Nothing brings people together quite like good food and a good excuse. We all want to let loose every now and then and most of us are just looking for an excuse to do so. I don't think nearly enough of us were reached out to via social media Facebook, instagram etc. I guess my point here is that many of want to help and are excited about the idea of getting together with buddies, have a crisp cold beer while eating tacos, hot dogs, jalapeņo poppers- you name it and at the end go home with a new critter or new information and sometimes a new friend.. I know that Mad Max is something bigger than this but at the fundamentals its all the same.
      I remember when we used to have frag swaps years ago- not sure at what point this stopped being a thing, I was 17 when i went to my first one and the host at the time opened up his home for us, there were guest speakers and almost certainly someone was always cooking. It was that sense of brotherhood that hooked young reefers like me. Anyway, like i said, I think I can help in one way or another.. even if just a bit. I want my children to enjoy this hobby, if so they choose, as much as I do.

Best,

Vick

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by coralcoral View Post
      I think i can help with the organization of this. Nothing brings people together quite like good food and a good excuse. We all want to let loose every now and then and most of us are just looking for an excuse to do so. I don't think nearly enough of us were reached out to via social media Facebook, instagram etc. I guess my point here is that many of want to help and are excited about the idea of getting together with buddies, have a crisp cold beer while eating tacos, hot dogs, jalapeņo poppers- you name it and at the end go home with a new critter or new information and sometimes a new friend.. I know that Mad Max is something bigger than this but at the fundamentals its all the same.
      I remember when we used to have frag swaps years ago- not sure at what point this stopped being a thing, I was 17 when i went to my first one and the host at the time opened up his home for us, there were guest speakers and almost certainly someone was always cooking. It was that sense of brotherhood that hooked young reefers like me. Anyway, like i said, I think I can help in one way or another.. even if just a bit. I want my children to enjoy this hobby, if so they choose, as much as I do.
      Best,
      Vick
      Ironically, MAX has always been a very special event for kids, something we have spent considerable effort and expense. Unfortunately most businesses are either unable or unwilling to realizer the obvious long-term benefits. I have thus funded (to the tens of thousands of dollars) every single contest, prize, entertainer, educator, material, supply, give-away, apparel, ect. out of my own pocket. The list of things that we implemented (in the name of good will) is long and complex, but I learned early on that anything new to the show...if we really wanted to add it then it was our responsibility to fund too. The problem is that we simply don't have the finances anymore to carry this burden ourselves. Tammy and I have been doing this for 10 years now and to tell you the truth? A good moment is one where we are not catching someone trying to sabotage the show in one form or another. I really wish this were an exageration.
      IMO, Starting up the ole backyard frag swaps again is a wonderful idea
      Last edited by MadMax; 04-03-2017 at 01:35 AM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

We just posted a quick photo spread of MAX 2014 (and startling reminder of what was lost this year)

https://www.facebook.com/13336560093...type=3&theater

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Let's be positive from here on out. Pump it up, MAX2018!!!!!!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Please note that MAX 2018 will be 100% dependent upon you vendors, sponsors, and hobbyists supporting the event.
      I cannot emphasize this enough.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The following comments are for the sake of transparency and accuracy of information:

Someone had spouted off recently in another thread about us being "banned" from SoCaliReefs, evidently hoping this would shame us.

Response:
      He is absolutely correct. After more than 10 years of heavily supporting SCR and practically being our home forum, etc. etc. we ARE in effect permanently banned.

Now for the facts:
      - The "mod" who banned us is in his mid twenties
      - The "reason" for the ban was supposedly for using a racial slur
      - To this day I still not heard what exact slur he is/was referring too (entire post was immediately erased)
      - No response was returned when we made an inquiry about the matter. Only that we were gone.

Anyone with half a capacity for reason can see right through this scenario.
      I wish SCR no ill will or anything negative, there are alot of good people on that site.
      This is the actions of one individual and nothing more, so we will not give it any more credibility than that.
      The only sad thing is what this type of thing does to the hobby as a whole.

Please do not respond to this post as is was placed hear only for informative purposes.
      I do not with to spar with anyone over anything relating to this.
      the only reason I bring it up in the first place is to counter rumors and misinformation

thanks,
      Last edited by MadMax; 04-25-2017 at 09:56 AM.

d-man is offline Registered User
      My status is: Just snorkeling in my tank

I am:
      Amused

Madmax,
      My opinion/ experience (which is just my mine, I speak for no one else, so take it for what you want) is that the show has been declining greatly over the past 8-9 yrs since I've been going. The first one was great back as RAP but when the split happened it almost seemed like the slow death of the new max and the increasing rise of RAP. I for one, am more of a fish guy, but also love corals. I used to see a few more vendors with higher end fish as well as some general stuff to go along with the corals of the month.

Now all I see really is 1 fish vendor, many, many coral vendors(which I'm completely ok with) and more and more product vendors. All of this is fine and dandy but RAP has the same thing, with more of them and cheaper admission.

When people go up there from SD and have to pay gas, and a higher admission fee plus a declining event agenda it just equals less and less people. Something needs to give for it to succeed again. Either more vendors with better selection and cheaper prices than lfs, cheaper entry fee, better speakers, or free beer!!!!(get everyone drinking to spend more$$$$), lol.

I don't know the answer obviously, I couldn't imagine taking on a task like this, but as a hobbyist these were my viewpoints on why I stopped going to MAX(even though it falls on my BDAY(4/7) a lot and continue to go to RAP.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by d-man View Post
      Madmax,
      My opinion/ experience (which is just my mine, I speak for no one else, so take it for what you want) is that the show has been declining greatly over the past 8-9 yrs since I've been going. The first one was great back as RAP but when the split happened it almost seemed like the slow death of the new max and the increasing rise of RAP. I for one, am more of a fish guy, but also love corals. I used to see a few more vendors with higher end fish as well as some general stuff to go along with the corals of the month.

Now all I see really is 1 fish vendor, many, many coral vendors(which I'm completely ok with) and more and more product vendors. All of this is fine and dandy but RAP has the same thing, with more of them and cheaper admission.

When people go up there from SD and have to pay gas, and a higher admission fee plus a declining event agenda it just equals less and less people. Something needs to give for it to succeed again. Either more vendors with better selection and cheaper prices than lfs, cheaper entry fee, better speakers, or free beer!!!!(get everyone drinking to spend more$$$$), lol.

I don't know the answer obviously, I couldn't imagine taking on a task like this, but as a hobbyist these were my viewpoints on why I stopped going to MAX(even though it falls on my BDAY(4/7) a lot and continue to go to RAP.
      Thank you for a well-though out response. (and very respectful, thankyou)

I have but two rhetorical questions: 1) When did this become a race? Do people compare RAP with Coral Farmer's Market? or with MACNA for that matter?

2) Why does it even matter? We have very different shows and very different goals, and six months apart

thank you again for your thoughts and I do hope to see you at MAX again some day in the future
      Last edited by MadMax; 04-25-2017 at 11:13 AM.

pirate2876 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Poorly

Closed Thread

Thread Information