• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Return Pump GPH question

seesquared is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Another Return Pump GPH question

Okay so this has been asked at least a thousand times on a thousand different forums but I still don't know which pump size to get. I'm in the process of setting up a 150 tall (4x2x2) that came on a 36 inch stand.

I'm cheaping out and getting a Jebao DC return pump because I had good luck with my last one and amazon prime ships one day.

This is what I'm getting: https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Jecod-M...rn%2Bpump&th=1

I am just unsure of which model to get. The tank is going to be a FLOWR tank and I will only be using one return. I have not decided on hard plumbing or soft. The tank is euro-braced at the top with one return hole so I know I will need to put at least a few elbows in three to get up and over the top of the tank for the return nozzle. My current thought process is just get the biggest one and dial it down but having almost 4000GPH sounds like it could be way over kill and I don't need to be using all of the wattage. If I turn the pump down logically that saves power correct?!?

Does anyone have any sound advise? I don't want super high flow though the sump so my skimmer can do its job and avoid micro bubbles at the same time. Sump is a 40 breeder. Nothing is set in stone on the build so I'm open for opinions!

Thanks!

unbereefable is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

This is a tough decision. And is more of an opinion than anything else. Some like fords, some like chevys. Some like high flow sumps, other like low flow. I'd say if your return is being used only as way to get water back into tank from sump, I'd go 3-5x tank volume for GPH turnover. If your trying to use the return as a return, and a means of flow for the tank, then of course go higher. But that's what powerheads are for. Ive got a 260 and maybe push 800gph thru my sump.

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

About 5x turnover is what I do.

seesquared is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

thanks guys for the feedback and i fully agree that its more of an opinion. I am leaning towards buying the highest flow and dialing it back. its not much more $$

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information