• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Johns RSR 525xl

JohnnyK731 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Johns RSR 525xl

A couple of weeks back I posted in search of a RSR 525xl for sale. Less than a day later I pulled the trigger to just purchase one. Plenty of good deals online being holiday time an all. Yet I still chose to give my business to some of the LFS in the area. Needless to say i could of save a few hundreds bucks by gathering all the goodies online but that doesn't bother me growing up with a family retail business it felt like the right thing to do.

Here's the list of what I've collected thus far.

Tank-RSR 525xl in black
      Skimmer- vertex omega 180i
      RTN pump- eco tech M1
      Reactors - x2 vertex 2.0 (possible carbon ,media or riophos) we will see what I really need when the time comes.
      Heater- finnex 300w titanium
      Power heads- x2 Neptune wavs
      Controller - Neptune Apex (new version with wifi/4 probes)
      Lighting- currently have 2 AI hydra 52 on my 75 gallon uni. Plus I purchased a third 52 HD also using the new AI HMS mounts (they hide the wires and lol very sleek)
      Doseing system- Neptune DOS with canisters.
      Rock- 120 pounds of real reef (shelves and round chunks)
      Sand - about 100 pounds of caribsea aragonite

Day one
      So Tuesday I got the call tank and most of the equipment was in so I picked it up (super nice shipping box the tank came in, plus very heavy) 5 of us packed in in the truck and off I went. With some help from my wife I had the stand build and leveled up in a couple hours. As plenty have said in other forums I've read about these reefers the stand is of nice quality very sturdy an easy to assemble. Once that was complete I needed assistance with tank itself. A phone call to buddy down the road and the tank was sitting nicely in its new home atop the stand in my living room. I fooled around with some of the plumbing only to find I was a few parts short to get the hard pluming complete so That was it for day one.

Day two.
      I ran around after work to gather up the real reef rock I wanted. I chose to hand pick the pieces I wanted from a couple stores intentionally buying too much just so I had the available pieces to achieve the scape I wanted. I also gathered the plumbing parts I needed. It was my goal to get the scape sand and plumbing and water in. With the help of a friend some putty and glue the scape and sand made it into the tank. After he left I finished the plumbing and added some cool features to the scape with some approval of the right kind from my wife. I spent the next few hours getting RODI and mixing up the reef crystals to 1.025. I plugged in the apex the one wav I had (awaiting the second still) linked it to the wifi turned on the return and the wav. I set up the single 52 HD that's not in use on my 75g. My heater had yet to come in so heating her up was going to have to wait until Friday.

Day 3
      Thanksgiving day gobble gobble no update other than I turned the skimmer on for the required 24 hrs with collection cup off to allow it to spill over. Plus started the dosing of micro Bactor five caps daily for two weeks starts today.
      Day 4
      The heater and DOS system have arrived at the LFS. I took this opportunity to retune 35 pounds of unused rock and pick up the equipment. When we returned home I played around with the apex, setting up the controls to my liking. I've installed the heater to the sump plus the Temp prob for the apex to allow the tank to heat to 78. With a 77.8-78.4 setting. Temp prior to heater 71 with ina few hours the tank was up to 75. ( that was daily quick) I also mounted the Apex , Neptune power bar and rtn pump controller to the inside of the dry storage cabinet. I'm waiting for the prob holder to arrive before I set up the remaining three probs. It's because of this that I'm holding off on straightening up the mess of wires in the dry cabinet. I played with the dos unit but I'm holding off on where I'm mounting that until all the wires/ probs are ran so I have a one time shot at wire organization and dos mounting. I still need my second wav pump too.

Day5
      Didn't do much other than checked up on the water temp. Sitting at 78. I'll probably test the water tomorrow to see what's going in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhioStreetz is offline Registered User
      My status is: Run with the best F()ck the
      rest!!!

I am:
      Sneaky

Man this is gonna be an awesome build

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by OhioStreetz View Post
      Man this is gonna be an awesome build
      It should be pretty cool. Bunch of navy stuff going on for the next few weeks so I won't have many updates during the cycle.

rest!!!

I am:
      Sneaky

Your in the Navy also?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

yeah buddy

Drama D is offline Registered User
      My status is: Uncertain

I am:
      Piratey

Wow, awesome set up.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Drama D View Post
      Wow, awesome set up.
      Thanks

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

John, looks great. This is going to be an awesome thread to follow.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by jason142 View Post
      John, looks great. This is going to be an awesome thread to follow.
      Finally got around to reading yours last night. Sweet tank I've got to come check it out one of these days. With that said I decided I needed to give an update on this spectacular tank. I'm taking it slow. But wanted to get it all up and running to cycle while I'm away.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ok small update. Tank has been running for a week now. Finally received the Neptune magnet probe holder while I was at sea for a couple days. So I've calibrated the PH and salinity probs plus added the ORP. Probe all to the sump along with my previously installed temp prob. All very simple to do. I watched the YouTube videos that BRS/ Neptune put up just for good measure. But all in all extremely simple.
      I also ordered a dosing tube holder which came in along with all of my salifert test kits (the works) black Friday sale 8 kits for 90 bucks sort of worth it bc it's a new tank and I need to know the info while it cycles and the few months after. Then I feel I can stick to the main four.
      Last week I picked up a pack of the API quick 5 test for hardness ph nitrate and nitrite just to see when I get a cycle started. So far no nitrite. I've been adding microbactor 7 five caps everyday an today I decided to add three cubes of brine shrimp. Playing the waiting game. I guess it's a good thing I will be gone for the next two weeks so I don't get antsy here looking at this beautiful yet empty of any livestock tank!!

The omega 180i has been sitting in the sump off after I did the 24 hours with no collection cup run. Today after installing the remaining three apex probes I fooled around with the skimmer and came to conclusion the sump area it is in has 11 inches of water. That just won't do for this skimmer it needs to be in about 7 inches of water from what I've gathered from playing with it and lifting it up some so I went ahead and ordered a stand for it. I had a bunch of reward points from my rather large purchases of SWAs BF sales when I bought the third hydra 52 (which turned out to be broken I get to that in a moment) so the skimmer stand some Red Sea filter socks 225 micron and a tube of coral glue are on the way free.

I mentioned the AI hydra 52 hd I ordered last week came in with a broken cooling fan blade and the fan itself was hitting so I used the broken blade to prop up the vent so the fan would no longer it the vent. In the mean time I contacted SWA. They promptly replied with a few questions then said they are sending a replacement unit with repackaging a return instructions for the damaged unit. Great customer service very speedy replies as well. For never using them prior to now I will say it's been a pleasure. So much for a small update. Thanks for reading . Always open to any and all suggestions .

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Been a long long time since I’ve posted in this. After a bunch of ups and downs getting sent away battling some disease ick or velvet. Loosing a bunch of fish not checking my levels I’ve finally decided to take control again of this soon to be beast.

Let’s start by saying Where I’m at what’s running right now

Vertex reactor with riophos
      A small bag of carbon in the first return chamber along with a bag with half a an of phosguard. For the silicates.
      I had a little algae problem and it’s getting contained.
      Now I’m debating on getting the inline fuge back up and running and removing the other two phosphate removers or just doing one more month cycle of both the riophos and the phosguard.

I did some rescaping a little while ago I want completely happy with the left island and still feel it needs some work.

I never set up my Neptune dos and plan to do so really soon but it hasn’t really been required for in testing every other day right now and my alk has been slowly rising from 9- now 9.9 I’m assuming due to the major sowing of mg I’ve been having to do. The mg was at 1080 as of last night it’s now at 1260 that’s everyday 210 mg dose. A few weeks ago I did some major water changes both 30 percent, to see if I could fix things. It didn’t Again my fault for not testing the wc water levels which was prob way off. I read somewhere today that I should be mixing up the salt in the bucket before I scoop( never knew that) using tropic Marin. So I plan to do that with all my up coming water changes.

Another mistake made was at first trying to control the small not out of control algae issue I used a considerable amount of carbon which stripped all my trace elements. So to fix that I have started dosing 7 ml per day of aquavitro fuel to replace them.

Now I’ve decided to do away with my aqua illumination lights. I just wanted something better so I picked up a super deal on a giesemann aurora 48 inch t5/led hybrid on brs with the Black Friday 10% off. With the added rewards and cc cash back I made out really well. I used half the rewards to grab some gallon jugs of ESV two part and mg.

The lights ordered on Tuesday and showed up Friday. I just had a chance to hang them today.
      To hang them I grabbed a couple of 2x4 a measuring tape I got the middle of the tank
      Marked on each end with grease pencil (thank you navy engineering)
      Cut down the 2-4s set them on the tank i asked my wonderful wife to help me place the fixture on the top of the tank. I then centered it carefully once I had that situated I used thread and small washer to find the location I needed to screw the ceiling hanger system. Of course the ceiling beams aren’t where I needed them to be so up to attic I went. I added to

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Continued- in the attic I had to add some cross beams to screw the hangers to once that was all finished up there I proceeded to hang the fixture. And so here it is

I know I need to figure out this aurora bt app for the android tablet I had to buy bc there’s no iPhone app and won’t be according to who ever is emailing me from giesemann. So glad I can finally take decent pictures of some of the items in the tank

More to come as things progress. A lot learned a lot lost but better late than never to get myself squared away with this awesome system I have.

rest!!!

I am:
      Sneaky

Looking good and good choice on the fixture that will grow anything you want lol

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I’ve had this artfully acrylic lid for a few months not and couldn’t be happier. I was offered the tsunami sides for free upgrade due to they hadn’t been offered at the time of purchase. But it allows me to at a later time change the configuration for additions to the tank which require a change to the lid. Well worth the 6 week wait. I also did a little bit of a tractor a while back just thought I’d share.

I finally stopped using this crappy ro h20 from a water store. Now I’m almost four months into using rodi from SD corals and there mix couldn’t be happier. Still need to find time to set us the Neptune dos and build a shelf in my spaghetti mess of wires cabinet. Hopefully when the trident becomes available I’ll finally get it all squared away.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Went and saw mike @FreshSaltH2o today for some killer goodies to include this beautiful bubble.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information