• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Questions for some reef guru's...

cmsurfr22 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have one of these http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/triple...m-digital.html

I like it because it has one for before the membrane and one for after the membrane but before the DI and one for after the DI. If what's coming out of the membrane is more than 1% of what's coming in, than it's time to replace he membrane. If what's coming out of the DI is more than 0 then it's time to replace the resin. Although with two canisters of DI that I run I don't really check the DI output

Tapio is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Your alkalinity and calcium are way too high. That can cause issues. Aim for 7-9 alkalinity and 440 calcium.

If you are relying on a pH electrode the calibration may be off or old electrode. Confirm reading with a cheap API pH test kit. Are any windows open to allow fresh air in?
      Last edited by Tapio; 10-03-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Erik2302 is offline Registered User
      My status is: http://kck.st/2PxdIM6

I am:
      Happy

I've never dosed calc, I think it may be the sw mix I'm using...reef crystals. Alk, I was mildly dosing (I've stopped) to try and raise my pH, when I though 11 was a normal alk.

The electrode is a lab grade probe purchased a couple months ago, it reads calibration solutions almost right on...

My pH test kit from Red Sea puts me at 8 to 8.2 every time I test...so I'm not sure which to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

I would believe your manual pH test kit. Even so called lab grade pH electrodes for the hobby are not real lab grade. I know I work in the industry. They work fine but like any pH electrode they are prone to degradation in performance a few months after being used. In lab settings they are cleaned with special solutions and rejuvenated using various solutions depending on the application. That way they can work for a few years.

With that said I am not sure why the electrode reads the calibration solutions right. Are you doing a two point calibration with pH 7 and another standard?

I am also not sure why the alk and calcium is so high. Reef Crystal should be more balanced, but I know that salt mixes up to a too high calcium level than necessary. Personally I use Instant Ocean and it mixes to 440-450 calcium and alkalinity 9 at least.

Erik2302 is offline Registered User
      My status is: http://kck.st/2PxdIM6

I am:
      Happy

pH 7 and pH 10...I float the solution so it's the same temp as the tank then test (the probe compensates for temp). It's 9.96 on the 10, just did that one tonight...tank reads 7.76 and the Red Sea pH test at the lowest color interpretation is 8.0 highest is 8.2...but I would say it's 8.1.

Yeah if it wasn't so accurate on the calibration solution I wouldn't worry about it and I'd just believe the test kit.

Either way everything left in the tank seems happy, phosphates still fluctuating between .08 and .16. I lost a frogspawn and a hammer at about the same time and everything else seems to be doing well.

Last test on calc was 445ppm and alk was 9.6 dkh by titration, so that has improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Yeah I don't understand the pH readings on the meter, but I still trust the manual test. It looks like your parameters are getting closer to NSW. Sometimes we loose corals though for unknown reasons too so hang in there. Sounds like things have stabilized in your tank. If there is anything more I can do let me know.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information