• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help!

ZaxSaid is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You could do what Jason said drop a few chromis in there and see how they do, I want to say do the ammonia drops and see what happens after 24 hours if your ammonia reads along 0-.25 and nitrite is also reading around the same you should have a nitrate spike definitely you would know then then you would do a water change to remove nitrate both ways work it's all personal preference if you go with the ammonia drops You have to get pure ammonia with no additives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivanbmwe46 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by jason142 View Post
      I personally would not add ammonia drops but that is just me. I have cycle both of my tanks with chromis. You could take you water in to get tested but the majority of LFS use API test kits. I know some people have done fishless cycle by putting a piece of shrimp in the tank.
      Sorry I should have added that since the beginning but I already added 1 week ago a raw piece of shrimp

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ZaxSaid View Post
      You could do what Jason said drop a few chromis in there and see how they do, I want to say do the ammonia drops and see what happens after 24 hours if your ammonia reads along 0-.25 and nitrite is also reading around the same you should have a nitrate spike definitely you would know then then you would do a water change to remove nitrate both ways work it's all personal preference if you go with the ammonia drops You have to get pure ammonia with no additives

Question on the water change. Should I be doing a 5% water change every week? Or wait until my tank is completely cycled?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Don't do water changes until your cycle is complete though it might already be complete so I'll change what I said to don't do water changes until you are sure your tank is done cycling

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ok. Thanks everyone for your time really appreciate your help. I will keep you all posted with any updates. 😀😄

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If you're adding chromis you should do a water change remember nitrate is harmless at low levels

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Since you added a piece of shrimp you are most likely on the down side of your cycle. I would say that you are safe to start adding livestock slowly. Your nitrates are good, although i would never recommend letting your nitrates get this high mine sometimes get to up around 80ppm. What are your plans as far as livestock goes?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by jason142 View Post
      Since you added a piece of shrimp you are most likely on the down side of your cycle. I would say that you are safe to start adding livestock slowly. Your nitrates are good, although i would never recommend letting your nitrates get this high mine sometimes get to up around 80ppm. What are your plans as far as livestock goes?
      I plan on putting a couple clown fish and maybe some zoas

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

The ammonia method is spelled out on the dr tims website. Live sand live rock it is cycling. Nitrate and nitrite are high because the cycle just started and is still weak and the bacteria has only had a couple weeks to start eating and coming up to strength, you'll notice algae and cyano probably soon because of this ( ugly phase).
      A ten percent water change every two weeks is fine. Maybe a slightly larger one a week before you add fish. Add some clean up crew now butt not too much. The ugly phase should be coming soon and they'll help process it. Too many too soon and they'll starve.

In theory adding fish right now is fine. I'd go slow and get cheap ones for a bit as they may not like some of your higher number and depending on the health of the fish they may not acclimate well to that.

But over all. I'd say way to go. Healthy tank. Congratulations.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information