Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ain't cancer a b¡tch

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ain't cancer a b¡tch

So toward the end of last year I had some pain in my lower back and what I thought was pretty intense sciatica running down my left leg. A couple months ago, after a couple really bad nights (I can deal with pain pretty well, but nerve pain was a different beast) and two trips to the ER, they did another MRI and found an unidentified mass in my lower back next to my spine. Sure enough it's cancer… evidently a pretty rare one too, especially in my age group.

Long story short, after it was identified I spent about a couple weeks in the hospital getting my pain under control and starting the first round of chemo.

Before all this, to say I had a pretty full plate was a bit of an understatement. We were in the middle of working on the house doing renovations, rebuilding my motorcycle, helping a couple friends with their projects, not to mention work and taking care of all of my reefs.

By no means is this a pity party, my family and friends have been great and I know I'll get through and beat this! It's just a BIG unexpected speed bump. One of the most frustrating things is how this came out of nowhere. I went from snowboarding mammoth to laid up in the hospital getting a poison drip within a three-week span.

Now moving forward I’m working on getting all my ducks in a row. Aside from the obvious of dealing with health, I’m gonna be clearing out a lot to try and make some more elbow room. I’ve already gotten some love and support from a couple reefer friends from here. Just know that my free time can be pretty limited and I will have only certain windows to work around. Also if you’re sick and you’re coming by for some gear or some corals please let me know in advance and we can make preparations.

And remember like I said, this isn't a pity party so let's keep it light -I'm not planning on going anywhere anytime soon!

Much luv -D

Eric is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You've got this Dan! Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help you out as you beat this!

nanoreef1 is offline Registered User
      My status is: 83Reefs

I am:
      Amused

I also come from back pain bro all my life I have a pain the runs in my right leg and left leg. I'm talking about intense! Sometimes unbearable but like 2 years ago I started pain treatment I take 2 shots in my lower back. That usually helps out for one year. But it's hard sometimes but I can manage. I forgot what I have of the back pain but I'll post name when I get home. And all of us are here bro if anything needed. Keep moving forward reef on!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Sorry to hear hopefully all is better or gets better soon. Mother went through a form of cancer and since treatment has been doing better and no signs of it coming back . Wish the same for you bud.

borg is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dang, Sorry to hear Dan. Im wishing you and your family well.

OhioStreetz is offline Registered User
      My status is: Let’s the bridges you
      burn light your path

I am:
      Geeky

You got this Dan.. If you need anything let me know bud

gcristobal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

S***! Buddy sorry to hear this hope everything works out for the best

cshplumber is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Damn Dan! You've got a lot on you're plate already! You don't have time for this crap too! Leave cancer to the old farts like me! You're in my prayers bro. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

fijisrfr is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hey Dan, LMK if there's anything I can do to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thank you guys for all the kind words. For years now this community has been like a family too.

Hector it sounds like you know what's up the nerve pain, that ish can be unreal sometimes. So an interesting twist in my story is I actually found out because I got an epidural!!! They started by treating my back as a herniated disc with protruding nerve, did an epidural on me and from then on I was in incredible pain… after days of agony and on a second trip to the ER they did another MRI that's when they found the tumor. So if I hadn’t gotten the epidural then I would potentially still not know =/ It wasn’t until after that we figured out the epidural took up enough space to push on the tumor, pushing on my nerves. An interesting thought at least.

chireef is offline Registered User
      My status is: Im a Addict!

I am:
      Amused

We are here for you bro!!! You can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreef1 is offline Registered User
      My status is: 83Reefs

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by inurmind View Post
      Thank you guys for all the kind words. For years now this community has been like a family too.

Hector it sounds like you know what's up the nerve pain, that ish can be unreal sometimes. So an interesting twist in my story is I actually found out because I got an epidural!!! They started by treating my back as a herniated disc with protruding nerve, did an epidural on me and from then on I was in incredible pain… after days of agony and on a second trip to the ER they did another MRI that's when they found the tumor. So if I hadn’t gotten the epidural then I would potentially still not know =/ It wasn’t until after that we figured out the epidural took up enough space to push on the tumor, pushing on my nerves. An interesting thought at least.
      Here's few pics bro of the procedure yeah bro I get intense pain if I don't do this procedure twice a year. I can't walk literally I can move an inch my nerves are super sensitive alot of pain. Thank God I found this treatment. But luckily you found out on time. You will be find bro we have some good doctors here in SD area some of the best. Praying for you bro take care.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

cshplumber is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Wow Hector! You really know how to party!

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Helping my Mother deal w/ this as well right now, but feel free to add me to the list of people if you need help w/ anything.
      Best of luck to you!

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

I, as well, both feel your pain, literally, and am here to help if needed. My help may be limited to moral support though as I am handling my back pain, which at times is absolutely excruciating, by having surgery done in the next 6 to 8 weeks. My issue is two completely degenerated discs and the surgery I am going to have is a fusion from L3 to S1. I wish there was a quick surgical method to alleviate your condition, but since you are a young guy (I'm assuming) you will be able to beat it. You do have a great community of friends and cohorts here so definitely reach out if you need anything.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information