• + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Scripps NSW Triton test

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Maybe it will help our corals morph and have new colors

Thanks for the article I am forwarding it to my friend, we were just talking about this because we like surfing

naso tang is offline Registered User
      My status is: clueless

I am:
      Piratey

Yeah don't we all. I think we'll be ok with that for some time, just a matter of how long i guess. If it's still wasting, i don't how long it lasts. It just became too dangerous for them to be near it long enough to fix the problem. So i imagine they are keeping water circulating in as it leaks. I hope at least, we get meltdown if they don't keep it cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by naso tang View Post
      Yeah don't we all. I think we'll be ok with that for some time, just a matter of how long i guess. If it's still wasting, i don't how long it lasts. It just became too dangerous for them to be near it long enough to fix the problem. So i imagine they are keeping water circulating in as it leaks. I hope at least, we get meltdown if they don't keep it cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      It feels better typing on my computer instead of my phone. What happens if there is a meltdown? Was there a meltdown after the quake or just a fuel leak?

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/0...ginable-levels I saw this article just recently, and something like 300 tons of radioactive water are leaking out a day. Is that just the ocean tide going in and out of there washing more radioactive material into the sea? This is insane.

brandon0350 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Anyone interested in doing this again? I've been using ATI labs ICP testing for my tank because they test for nitrate and DKH. Test is also cheaper.

brandon0350 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Or possibly do ATI and Triton and compare results of the two separate ICP tests as well?

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by brandon0350 View Post
      Anyone interested in doing this again? I've been using ATI labs ICP testing for my tank because they test for nitrate and DKH. Test is also cheaper.
      I dont believe you'll see much change. I had a rusty metal crash last year(sad) , did massive scrips water changes for a month or so. Got an ATI ICP on my tank and it came back pretty much exactly like this NSW test. My alk cal mag were higher (8.1) was pretty much the only difference.

HHN is offline Registered User
      My status is: Selling - Carlsbad - 92009 -
      six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Id contribute.

v_rouge is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Has anyone tested ammonia at Scripps lately? I have been using without issues but was filling a quarantine tank. The QT had ammonia according to the API test kit so I measured the Scripps water in my jugs and they are showing ammonia levels. Is there a more reliable ammonia test or does the Scripps water test positive for ammonia?

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by v_rouge View Post
      Has anyone tested ammonia at Scripps lately? I have been using without issues but was filling a quarantine tank. The QT had ammonia according to the API test kit so I measured the Scripps water in my jugs and they are showing ammonia levels. Is there a more reliable ammonia test or does the Scripps water test positive for ammonia?
      Something to consider is, Ocean water is live. and cycling, (therefore consuming its own ammonia), so there is bacteria and other organics and organisms in the water. once those get stored in a stagnant bucket(O2 deprived), they die off and can produce ammonia , yes. the amount produced is speculative at best.
      That said, the low amounts that may be produced dont generally effect most users when they do a water change as the ammonia is consumed pretty rapidly by the tanks live water and corals as well as the rest of bio-filter.

API honestly shouldn't be able to detect that low an amount(assuming norms like the water has been stored well or is fresh from the ocean).

Hanna and Salifert are probably the better of test kits. Sadly, none of the LFS stores test users water with those.
      An easy double check to try, is to add too much Dr Tims one and only to an empty circulated bucket or tank and test with your api 24 hrs later. Its most likely there will be Zero ammonia.

you cannot do this with Seachem Prime and a couple others, BTW, as its not a bacteria consuming the ammonia , it's a chemical binder, so the ammonia is still present but now bound to certain other Ions so it cnat be absorbes by arganisims, those chemical attributes interfere with the API chemical titration method as well.

Hanna is an optical test, a colorimeter.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks crabbysd. I’ll test with the salifert test tonight and see what that shows.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I tested both my QT and fresh NSW with Salifert and both showed 0 ammonia. API showed high levels of ammonia. Which one should I trust?

I am:
      Geeky

I tested both my QT and fresh NSW with Salifert and both showed 0 ammonia. API showed high levels of ammonia. Which one should I trust?
      I would go with the Salifert myself. Based on the optical properties of the test, and the other science that it really shouldn't probably have ammonia.
      If the API is giving you .25 ammonia, id def be skeptical. .25 seems like an error code IME and the experiences of other Ive worked with.

HHN is offline Registered User
      My status is: Selling - Carlsbad - 92009 -
      six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Id go with Salifert reading too. I tested it a bunch of times initially and it was always 0. Anecdotally though, I've been surfing near there and it smells like farm fertilizer on occassion.

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

Does the water in the QT tank (or other tanks?) that test positive for ammonia look cloudy? If not, then I would believe the zero test results.

Trickman2 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Following along, debating on switching to scripps water instead of mixing salt all the time.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information