Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So 16.99 ug/L = 0.016 mg/L = 0.016 ppm

naso tang is offline Registered User
      My status is: clueless

I am:
      Piratey

Guys, i hate to say this because it is sad. If triton had cesium in the mix, apparently it would be detected now. Fukishima water hit the pacific coast recently. It makes me think for the first time ever that maybe we all better start mixing salt. It's not cesium itself that is the problem. It is a radioactive isotope of cesium. That cannot be good for coral. I don't know the concentrations that sea life can tolerate. But apparently fish off the west coast are showing up with more tumors than normal. Shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I will just see what happens, I am not paying for salt. All th dolphins, seals, whales, fish and other animals in the ocean seem fine and people are catching and eating them, and all the fish at the Scripps Aquarium are doing fine, so I am not too worried.

jessegarcia28 is offline Registered User
      My status is: @work

I am:
      Sneaky

Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
      I will just see what happens, I am not paying for salt. All th dolphins, seals, whales, fish and other animals in the ocean seem fine and people are catching and eating them, and all the fish at the Scripps Aquarium are doing fine, so I am not too worried.
      All the dolphins and seals, and fish, live in billions of water volume compared to our Nano tanks lol. Really no comparison there.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by jessegarcia28 View Post
      All the dolphins and seals, and fish, live in billions of water volume compared to our Nano tanks lol. Really no comparison there.

Not when it comes to the topic I was addressing - cesium in the water. Whether it is in the ocean or we take it out of the ocean to put in our tanks or the Scripps aquarium, the concentration of cesium will remain the same, and extremely low at that. The dolphins in the ocean and the coral in our tank will be exposed to the same concentration of cesium...

I am:
      Piratey

Scripps NSW Triton test

I'm sorry but are you aware japan can no longer harvest kelp in their waters for human consumption? I believe when the fish on our coast have an increase in tumors that could be related to radioactive cesium being detected on our shore. I'm not even well read on this topic but we only use radiation on humans when you have cancer. Speaking as a phd in molecular biology and biochemistry, this is not good and the point about small volume systems is spot on. While we adapt our coral to pretty harsh conditions, doping radioactive isotope into the water does not sound like a good idea. These animals are used to only exceedingly small quantities of the naturally occurring isotope. In other words, it does not matter if it's cesium, hydrogen, carbon, etc. this one lasts and you don't want it in your home or your fish or coral living in it. I hope there are impact studies already. Knowing japan, they protect what they know. And shutting down their kelp industry hurt them alot.

This was the state of affairs in 2014

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...-disaster.html

Last edited by naso tang; 02-17-2017 at 12:37 PM.

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by naso tang View Post
      I'm sorry but are you aware japan can no longer harvest kelp in their waters for human consumption? I believe when the fish on our coast have an increase in tumors that could be related to radioactive cesium being detected on our shore. I'm not even well read on this topic but we only use radiation on humans when you have cancer. Speaking as a phd in molecular biology and biochemistry, this is not good and the point about small volume systems is spot on. While we adapt our coral to pretty harsh conditions, doping radioactive isotope into the water does not sound like a good idea. These animals are used to only exceedingly small quantities of the naturally occurring isotope. In other words, it does not matter if it's cesium, hydrogen, carbon, etc. this one lasts and you don't want it in your home or your fish or coral living in it. I hope there are impact studies already. Knowing japan, they protect what they know. And shutting down their kelp industry hurt them alot.

This was the state of affairs in 2014

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...-disaster.html

And 2012

https://www.japantoday.com/smartphon...go-into-effect

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I made two points...

First, the cesium isn't that bad (which you have shown was a dumb thing to say) and I had no idea it was that bad in JP.

My second point was that the putting ocean water in our tanks will mean the cesium level in our tanks will be the same as cesium levels in the ocean and Scripps Aquarium display tanks. Just because it is a smaller volume of water doesn't mean that cesium will have a worse effect on fish in our tanks than fish in th ocean. The amount of cesium will be the same.

Let's see how the fish in th ocean and the Scripps Aquarium fare over the next few years. I didn't know cesium was at detectable levels all the way over here, what concentrations was it measured at on our coast?

PatientZero is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Cesium isn't the issue, its the particular isotope Cs-137 (134 to some degree too). Cs-133 is quite stable and probably not a significant issue.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

That's crazy. I wouldn't want to eat any fish from the ocean anywhere...

I am:
      Piratey

I don't know how significant it is yet. I'll look it up, the problem is it gets worse with time. You're totally right we aren't seeing whales wash up. The small stuff gets impacted first. I don't know how big a problem it is, but based on our lack of exposure to the risk, i think there is likely some politics involved. Lots of news about it in japan. With big gaps in timeline now. They knew this would happen eventually, i think it is still dumping waste every day. The dilution effect takes a lot out of it. I'm honestly surprised we don't have reef reports about it. But i'm sure they've been testing continuously since this happened so right now it's likely very low (ie limits of detection) compared to what they call our ld50 on this isotope. Dose at which half of us die. Probably 1000 fold difference at least in these levels. Rate of increase will determine the breakpoint if they can detect it now.

I am:
      Piratey

Not sure how easy i can find it. Take a look at this one, december last year. Not a reliable source of info, but an interesting read.
      http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/3...it-dangerously

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thank you for the info, I was being a little flippant about radioactive contamination. I know a lot of people believe the Japanese government is severely understating the magnitude of the disaster in terms of waste leaked/leaking and how dangerous the waste is as you said for political reasons (nuclear power interests, financial interests). It is no surprise, that kind of thing happens a lot. "Everything is fine, citizens, trust us..."

I am:
      Piratey

Scripps NSW Triton test

Here we go, this is a bit more accurate than my dumb ass. There was just a report out on san onofre and danger of faults nearby, we got spent rods right in our neigborhood. They are trying to be a bit more cautious now, which is a good idea i think.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...tion/95196156/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information