• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark's 80 gallon build

pellikan is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Mark's 80 gallon build

I started my tank build in the “Nano” section. If you read that you’ll see I was taken by surprise by a crack in the back of my Biocube and had to order a new tank. Since I made the stand oversized it is able to accommodate a tank 48” wide I decided to upgrade the size to 80 gallons. Now I figure I don’t belong in the nano section any more so I’m starting the build thread over again. You can read about the stand construction here: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...rst-SW-attempt

Recent progress in my build includes running a dedicated 15A circuit for the tank. That took 2 full days of my Memorial Day weekend and blood, sweat and Fix-It-All. I did have all the parts needed to add the circuit so it was only a matter of doing the labor. The job was a PITA though.

The tank I ordered is supposed to arrive by this weekend. I got an 80 gallon, drilled in the back w/trapezoidal overflow. I think I have 90% of the hardware I need to plumb it. (there’s always something you forgot, that’s why HD is open late) I have a 20G home-made sump, 1” and 3/4” pipe, unions, valves and various fittings. A BRS dual reactor is on order and soon to arrive too. I plan to run it off the return. My sump will have 3 sections, from left to right; drain w/skimmer and heaters, return and finally refugium. I want to split the return to run the reactor and refugium at a relatively low flow.
      Meanwhile, I started cycling a 10 gallon tank with a few rocks in it. My thought is to get the rocks cycled and ready to go so I have a jump start on cycling the new 80G tank. Then, I’ll also have a cycled HOB filter on the 10G and will be able to use that as a QT while my big tank completes its cycle. Has anyone tried anything like this? Is it a good idea?

I welcome any input to my plans, both negative and positive. I’m new to this so I may be overlooking something or making big mistakes out of ignorance so speak up, don’t let me live in a world of ignorance!

nanoreef1 is offline Registered User
      My status is: 83Reefs

I am:
      Amused

Are you thinking about going with scripps water or are you going to be mixing your own salt. Also you can cure the rock in a tank depending on if it was dead rock or established rock. Also looking forward to your build and most IMPORTANT PICS. lol

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
      Last edited by nanoreef1; 06-01-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I went to Scripps this weekend, that's what's in the 10G. I do also have a bucket of Reef Crystals since it's a long drive to Scripp's Pier. I'd hate to postpone a water change because I don't want to make the drive.

I've only got a few pieces of dead rock right now, they fit in the 10G without touching the sides. I'll be needing a lot more for the bigger tank! I'm hoping that the dead rock will have a nice bacteria colony by the time I'm getting the big tank wet and it'll help with the cycle.

Ok, OK I hear you. Here's a couple pics. One of the sump and one of the stand with the sadly cracked Biocube.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sump.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	40231Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	40232

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

The new tank is here! 80 gallon. I know for some of you that is smallish. But it's the biggest tank I've ever had. I had to ask my neighbor to help carry it into the house and I can barely remember his name. Likewise, I'll need help again to get it up on the stand.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by pellikan View Post
      The new tank is here! 80 gallon. I know for some of you that is smallish. But it's the biggest tank I've ever had. I had to ask my neighbor to help carry it into the house and I can barely remember his name. Likewise, I'll need help again to get it up on the stand.

Looking good bro!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I'm trying to cycle a 10 gallon tank with a few pieces of dead live rock in it. I figured I would need a qt tank once I get the big tank going and I could use the live rock, once cycled, to help seed the tank. The 10g also has a hob filter so it'll have bacteria as well. I've been ghost feeding as my cycling method. The parameters have me a little confused though. I've got .5 ammonia, 4 nitrite and 100 nitrate.

I've only been putting a small pinch of food a day, I'm using Scripps water (I tested the water going in and it had about 5 nitrate). Where did all that nitrate come from? Should I do a water change? It isn't going to hurt any fish, there's only rock in the tank. The tank has been wet about 2 weeks.

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

I'm trying to cycle a 10 gallon tank with a few pieces of dead live rock in it. I figured I would need a qt tank once I get the big tank going and I could use the live rock, once cycled, to help seed the tank. The 10g also has a hob filter so it'll have bacteria as well. I've been ghost feeding as my cycling method. The parameters have me a little confused though. I've got .5 ammonia, 4 nitrite and 100 nitrate.

I've only been putting a small pinch of food a day, I'm using Scripps water (I tested the water going in and it had about 5 nitrate). Where did all that nitrate come from? Should I do a water change? It isn't going to hurt any fish, there's only rock in the tank. The tank has been wet about 2 weeks.
      Should be stinky. Its fine. dont do nothing IMO. The Am should start dropping this week and be gone in one or two. Prob stop feeding. Let the magic happen.
      If the Am doesnt drop in the next week or two Youll need to add a bacteria booster. You could add one now, but what fun would that be really?

Nitrate
      http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/8/chemistry
      You put food in, nothing to eat it yet. Tank has indigestion. You are giving birth to a population of hungry things. Once they eat the Am and its zero, do a big wc and clear the excess.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Cool, thanks crabby. Although I gotta say I haven't smelled anything off. I'm not gonna add bacteria boost. I've got lots of time. I haven't even done the plumbing for the big tank yet, or buy rock (or even make up my mind where to buy the rock), Gah!

Just having one of those revelations where it suddenly hits me how far I've yet to go. Good thing I'm sitting down, woah! I'll be ok, just give me a minute.

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

Cool, thanks crabby. Although I gotta say I haven't smelled anything off. I'm not gonna add bacteria boost. I've got lots of time. I haven't even done the plumbing for the big tank yet, or buy rock (or even make up my mind where to buy the rock), Gah!

Just having one of those revelations where it suddenly hits me how far I've yet to go. Good thing I'm sitting down, woah! I'll be ok, just give me a minute.
      lol. yea breathe sit down. have a beer. if you dont drink i'll have it.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Two beers coming up! What do you want crabby?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Got the back of the tank painted black.

And the internal plumbing done.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I installed this diy electrical box in my stand. Most of the plugs are wired through the relays seen mounted inside the box. For now they're all default to on so I can get this tank started whilst I work out the programming for my raspberry pi controller. I also wired in a couple light switches that override the relays and can turn off all the pumps or completely shut everything off. All wiring is also run through a GFI plug for safety. The box is mounted on a piano hinge so I can swing it out to work on it. Fitting since the whole stand was made from piano wood.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Made some progress. The tank is up on the stand! Woo hoo!

Also, DC the skimmer is in and the control box mounted. Light for the fuge is in too.

A couple other pics. The electrical box mounted inside the stand.

The GFI plug everything runs through to make sure everything is safe.

And finally, the official inspector checking everything out.

I am:
      Amused

Looking good bro keep the pics coming!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I think my plumbing is done! I have the drain set up with a durso overflow, a gate valve and 1"pipe. The return splits three ways; one to the dt as usual, second to a brs dual reactor and third to a fuge section of the sump. The reactor and fuge sections have gate valves and the dt part has a ball valve and check valve. It's difficult to get a good pic as the whole setup is rather close to the wall.

Next steps will be testing the plumbing for leaks and flow issues. Also, cable management. There's some crazy long cables! One cable is about 18' long but only needs to go 2'! So, that leads me to a question; what do you all do for cable management? Something that looks nice too.

Last edited by pellikan; 06-30-2016 at 08:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information