• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Apex? Anybody upgrading?

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

So overall what's the real difference between the 2 ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

borg is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      So overall what's the real difference between the 2 ?

Just by glancing at the features, the big differences are:

- Built in wifi
      - Ability to connect salinity probe without the pm2 (i think)
      - Ability to connect DOS and WAV without the 1link.

lartmander is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Also the power bar have connections for 12v so you can start getting rid of those power bricks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

nanoreef1 is offline Registered User
      My status is: 83Reefs

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      Steve you have one I need one lol
      You don't need it is need it...lol

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

RussM is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by lartmander View Post
      Also the power bar have connections for 12v so you can start getting rid of those power bricks.
      The ACC ports on the EnergyBar832 output 24vdc, not 12. They will support up to a 30w load.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Folks, if you have any questions about the new Apex, about what's happening with the current Apex controller and peripherals, or anything else in a similar vein, please ask. There's a huge amount of FUD and some rather bad info being tossed about on other forums, so please take what you may read elsewhere in forums with a grain of salt.

For those of you who don't know me - I work for Neptune Systems in Engineering & IT)

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
      Folks, if you have any questions about the new Apex, about what's happening with the current Apex controller and peripherals, or anything else in a similar vein, please ask. There's a huge amount of FUD and some rather bad info being tossed about on other forums, so please take what you may read elsewhere in forums with a grain of salt.

For those of you who don't know me - I work for Neptune Systems in Engineering & IT)
      Clarify. All true info then please

borg is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post

When is the COR coming?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by borg View Post
      When is the COR coming?
      Sorry, I don't have a definitive answer to that.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Listen to Russ. We have the benefit of a true friend and insider here in this guy. He may have moved up to NorCal to work at Neptune, but I bet his heart is still here in San Diego with us.

Now being a controller geek as I am, I was very curious about this. Of course I just bought the Gold system a month ago and am a little pissed that nothing was said in advance but thats how companies make money. I'll get over it. I still haven't had time to even open the box. Many of you know that I am a Digital Aquatics beta tester and have been since 2008. I run an RKE system on my 130g tank now that runs perfect. I have had the Archon in a testing phase since before it was officially out, but it is not currently controlling my system. I still haven't decided which system will actually be "controlling" my tank going forward but I wanted the ability to compare systems side by side.

The new Apex system is continuing to be impressive, no doubt. However, I really hate the Playskool look of the components. The DoS for example is two pumps in a cute package that is bigger than the box that GHL has put four pumps in. And yes, I know the DoS pumps are badass tight pumps, but nobody would argue against the reliability and precision of the GHL products. The look of the components is a personal preference thing and to me actually has very little impact on whether or not I would buy the system. I think the EB32 is too big, but it has quite a lot of power packed into it. I'm sure if it could have been smaller, it would have been. I love the forward thinking approach of adding in the 1link outlets and the 24v accessary outlets. I am sure we all would love to get rid of all of the power bricks that clutter up our systems now.

Neptune is listening to their customers and providing innovations that address what we all want. With Tunze now releasing a controller of their own and Vertex finally releasing the Cerebra, it is going to be an interesting few months leading up to MACNA. Anybody like the idea of a controller roundtable with representatives of all of these companies? I will see if I can pull something like that together. It may be tough to get them all to cooperate, but we'll see.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Adrian1028 is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Enjoying my Moorish Idol

I am:
      Piratey

Dave, a controller roundtable would be fantastic. Getting them all in one room at same time might be hard but maybe you can do a few short rountables back to back in the same room.

There is so much competition out there right now that this can only benefit us, the consumer, in both innovation and cost.

As always, thank you so much for all of your work on SDMAS and MACNA.
      Help save our Reefs and our Hobby

Donate to PIJAC
      https://www.pijac.org/ADF

Join MASNA
      http://masna.org/joinrenew/

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks, Dave!

Yes, the EB832 does LOOK much bigger, but in reality it is a bit less wide that the EB8 and only about 2" taller than the EB8. And w/ the EB8, the Aquabus ports are on the bottom edge, so you have to allow about 2 1/2" vertical space for the cables below the EB8. so in the end, the EB832 and EB8 take up roughly the same amount of space. That angled cut on the lower left EB832 case was designed to make it easy to connect/disconnect cables yet keep the overall width comparable to that of the EB8. The EB832 is more compact than an equivalent EB8, 1LINK module, and 1LINK power supply. Another nice feature of the EB832 is that the outlets are more widely spaced than on older EnergyBars, which allows for greater use of wall-warts.

I admit that the new controller case took me some getting used to; my initial impression was similar to yours. But its a very functional design, and I quickly came around to appreciate it.

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

We are pretty fortunate to have a couple controller guru's on here for each of the top two manufacturers, I've been on the fence as to which would be best for my tank and which is most user friendly for me since this is NOT my expertise, and now I see a new choice coming out which is made by Tunze, and I love Tunze products.
      I have not seen the price tag on those yet but looks like I'll have some time to decide because I need to save a lot of pennies!

lartmander is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by davocean View Post
      We are pretty fortunate to have a couple controller guru's on here for each of the top two manufacturers, I've been on the fence as to which would be best for my tank and which is most user friendly for me since this is NOT my expertise, and now I see a new choice coming out which is made by Tunze, and I love Tunze products.
      I have not seen the price tag on those yet but looks like I'll have some time to decide because I need to save a lot of pennies!
      Apex is great, but competition is even better. Hopefully this gets the price points lowered with new and better features.

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

This is the reefbuilders write up on the new Tunze controller, looks like they are starting at $347, this is a nice price from my point of view, just curious how it will compare to the others on what all it can do.

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/05/25/...tire-aquarium/

Thread Information