• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Max 2017!

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Any post that has nothing to do with suggesting changes or additions will be deleted. This is not an attack or bashing thread no matter what other members opinions may be so let's ALL be respectful.
      Last edited by jason142; 05-26-2016 at 02:51 PM.

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

I personally don't think this is the venue to discuss exhibitor and promoter issues, especially money. Those are business dealings that the folks on this forum will not light torches and carry pitchforks for, and shouldn't. Produce a great show, with great exhibitors, and the reef community will attend. How you do it, and how the exhibitors handle it, is not my problem... but don't mud sling here about it.
      Last edited by SDguy; 05-26-2016 at 02:54 PM.
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

MadMax is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
      I personally don't think this is the venue to discuss exhibitor and promoter issues, especially money. Those are business dealings that the folks on this forum will not light torches and carry pitchforks for, and shouldn't. Produce a great show, with great exhibitors, and the reef community will attend. How you do it is not my problem... don't mud sling here about it.
      Thanks Peter, you are 100% correct. (and thank you, Jason) We do what we do for the vast majority of people who love MAX, now lets find ways to make it better
      Last edited by MadMax; 05-26-2016 at 03:13 PM.

borg is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Im relatively new to the hobby and Ive never been to Max. I really wanted to go this past year but honestly, i got turned off of what happened to RG and the posts that you had on SCR. You're the promoter and I don't know what happened behind the scenes so I only know what I read on both forums. I didn't want to support the promoter so maybe shame on me.

The feedback that I'm seeing here is that attendance is decreasing. Perhaps its time to look at how you promote yourself. Obviously, I don't know you so you could be the nicest person in the world, but if you play the villain in these forums, we get to see the bad guy. From my perspective, I simply don't want to support that.

If you're looking for a suggestion, it sounds like you need to get more people to attend the event, so Id start with the way you present yourself in the forums and be more likable. More people attending will likely mean the event is more successful. If I like the promoter, I would make a point to attend. Again, one guy's opinion, but Id bet that some people think the way I do.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by borg View Post
      Im relatively new to the hobby and Ive never been to Max. I really wanted to go this past year but honestly, i got turned off of what happened to RG and the posts that you had on SCR. You're the promoter and I don't know what happened behind the scenes so I only know what I read on both forums. I didn't want to support the promoter so maybe shame on me.

The feedback that I'm seeing here is that attendance is decreasing. Perhaps its time to look at how you promote yourself. Obviously, I don't know you so you could be the nicest person in the world, but if you play the villain in these forums, we get to see the bad guy. From my perspective, I simply don't want to support that.

If you're looking for a suggestion, it sounds like you need to get more people to attend the event, so Id start with the way you present yourself in the forums and be more likable. More people attending will likely mean the event is more successful. If I like the promoter, I would make a point to attend. Again, one guy's opinion, but Id bet that some people think the way I do.
      Hi borg (sorry, I do not know your real name)
      I appreciate your advice, but with all due respect I will not discuss personal character traits and/or private business issues on the internet.
      Sorry if this seems rude but it is an unfortunate necessity.
      Last edited by MadMax; 05-27-2016 at 03:42 AM.

VW REEFS is offline Advanced Hobbyist
      My status is: reefing

I am:
      Set you mood here...

gotta say the cost is fine for the event as a vendor the problem like many events people commit and put a small down payment and don't pay there bills on time, and for putting on a event its not cheap and commitments have to be paid in advanced. there is always two sides to every story its best to put yourself in the shoes of others to realize there's more than meets the eye. Kevin is straight forward not a lot of BS there.

russ13 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I've been to a few shows in my time. I went to the first or second max show. I think it was in 2009 or 2010. So I may not be up to date. When I was there I didn't see a lot of big venders showing of there new equipment. I would like to see Neptune systems, Tunze, and ecosystems with spots showing there newest products. I helped a friend work a booth and got to meet a lot of cool people. I even met people who flew in from out of state just to attend the show. It was a great experience and I would recommend checking it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by tuna_bullet View Post
      gotta say the cost is fine for the event as a vendor the problem like many events people commit and put a small down payment and don't pay there bills on time, and for putting on a event its not cheap and commitments have to be paid in advanced. there is always two sides to every story its best to put yourself in the shoes of others to realize there's more than meets the eye. Kevin is straight forward not a lot of BS there.
      Thank you very much Vance, you pretty much hit the nail on the head! Very few people realize what all is involved.
      Last edited by MadMax; 05-27-2016 at 06:35 PM.

chireef is offline Registered User
      My status is: Im a Addict!

I am:
      Amused

So isn't this thread finished because everything that goes on at MAX is only things taken care of behind the scenes? It doesn't really matter what the locals think we are just hoping to get a good impression of it and make our choice whether we want to show or not. So I wish next years Max good luck.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by chireef View Post
      So isn't this thread finished because everything that goes on at MAX is only things taken care of behind the scenes? It doesn't really matter what the locals think we are just hoping to get a good impression of it and make our choice whether we want to show or not. So I wish next years Max good luck.

The purpose of this thread is to brain-storm ideas that might help make MAX a better show.

After 10 years it is very difficult to keep things fresh and exciting for any show in any industry; such problem is only magnified further in one as niche and specialized as ours.

Simply presenting a good impression and hoping for the best is no longer sufficient. We have much more research to conduct before making any final decisions.

I do hope we can bring all of you a 10th anniversary show but this is no where near guaranteed at this point in time. I am personally neutral either way.
      Last edited by MadMax; 05-27-2016 at 10:47 PM.

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It sounds like a lot of people want to see a lot of equipment vendors there to show their newest stuff, which I would also be interested in. Frags I can get anywhere, and I'd rather get 'em from people here who have a good reputation, but seeing new equipment and tanks and all that would be something interesting and new to me. That's just my feeling, I am sure others enjoy buying corals and such as well. If you can snag people from the manufacturers we all know and see on sites like Marine Depot and they show their latest innovations it would be quite an interesting exhibition indeed.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
      It sounds like a lot of people want to see a lot of equipment vendors there to show their newest stuff, which I would also be interested in. Frags I can get anywhere, and I'd rather get 'em from people here who have a good reputation, but seeing new equipment and tanks and all that would be something interesting and new to me. That's just my feeling, I am sure others enjoy buying corals and such as well. If you can snag people from the manufacturers we all know and see on sites like Marine Depot and they show their latest innovations it would be quite an interesting exhibition indeed.
      Thanks Sushi,
      I agree with you 100%, and thus far this is my favorite post (sorry Vince, gotta knock you into 2nd place, man, LOL)
      I too personally find the most value in seeing "the latest and greatest" from our manufacturers. I'd also like to see more live demonstrations and workshops hosted by company reps in their booths.
      Then seeing the products available for sale at significant "show discount" would just be the cherry on top! Such is alot to ask though given that these companies cannot normally sell direct to the public without cannibalizing their own distribution channels, so what we normally see are showcasing of new product instead of sales.

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
      Thanks Sushi,
      I agree with you 100%, and thus far this is my favorite post (sorry Vince, gotta knock you into 2nd place, man, LOL)
      I too personally find the most value in seeing "the latest and greatest" from our manufacturers. I'd also like to see more live demonstrations and workshops hosted by company reps in their booths.
      Then seeing the products available for sale at significant "show discount" would just be the cherry on top! Such is alot to ask though given that these companies cannot normally sell direct to the public without cannibalizing their own distribution channels, so what we normally see are showcasing of new product instead of sales.
      That definitely makes sense. If the manufacturers gave big discounts no one would buy from the distributors anymore. They would just wait for MAX like people wait for cyber Monday

Distributors like Marine Depot and BRS could give discounts without much harm, but I am pretty new to the hobby and have no idea if many retailers go to these shows. As for wants and needs, in my fantasy world it would be cool to see manufacturers showcasing new products and retailers there with nice sales. That's surely difficult to orchestrate if not impossible, but I do think that'd get people excited.

russ13 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Is that what the MAcNA show is???

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by russ13 View Post
      Is that what the MAcNA show is???

The same issues apply for the MACNA conference. I should point out that sometimes (all shows) a manufacturer may team up with an exhibiting retailer to sell a particular product. This is on rare occasion though.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information