• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: New frag tank on existing system- Questions

2ManyTanks is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

New frag tank on existing system- Questions

I have a 30 gallon frag tank, a 20 gallon tank, and sump plumbed together and doing great. 2 BTA's, monti's, softies, lps, several small fish. I just got a 70 gallon frag tank that I am going to plumb into the existing system.

I use scripps water and would do so with the new frag tank. If I heat the water to the same temp can I just add the 70 gallon to the existing set up? If that wouldn't be a good idea what's the best way to do this?

SmilinAvnger is offline Registered User
      My status is: Waiting for 5PM

I am:
      Friendly

Might want to cycle the new tank by itself first. Might be a bit of a shock to the system to double the water volume but still go through a small cycle.

Could be trouble for some of the more delicate corals.

I think once it cycles, hooking them all together won't be a problem.

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

Salinity, alk, & temp. Imo
      all scripps? Yea.
      if its an empty frag tank no sand rock, no cycle.

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by crabbysd View Post
      Salinity, alk, & temp. Imo
      all scripps? Yea.
      if its an empty frag tank no sand rock, no cycle.
      Oh yeah, what he said! If you are dosing your water up, want to match those numbers.

Crabby - you don't think doubling the volume of the system with scripps dirty water and the new surfaces would create a little bacteria war as the system tries to balance out again? I think you are right as far as no sand and no rocks being added. But I would imagine everything else could trigger a cycle?

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAvnger View Post
      Oh yeah, what he said! If you are dosing your water up, want to match those numbers.

Crabby - you don't think doubling the volume of the system with scripps dirty water and the new surfaces would create a little bacteria war as the system tries to balance out again? I think you are right as far as no sand and no rocks being added. But I would imagine everything else could trigger a cycle?
      Heres a thing, the cycle never stops in the tank unless you drop bleach in. So I dont like to call it a mini cycle(its exhibiting the signs of a new tank cycling yes). It starts and hopefully never ends, but it does get overwhelmed though, esp w overstocking and digging around, and my Talbot.
      Yea its possible youll kick up some gunk and get some algae , but it depends on whats in the new tank side. And yea overstocking would possibly cause issues as the cycle biofilter catches up.
      but if its just a frag tank with live sand and frags it should be fine.

Heating and cooling the system might be a challenge.

Hahah "Dirty scripps water", Im one some other boards and man we should count our blessings. Live sand from a bag and dirty scripps water you just drop a fish in. In iowa rodi red sea C P, new tank 3 months old, it gets ick. Thats what im seeing any way.

good article on water
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...est&highlight=

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yup, it's an empty tank with no new rock or sand, so just water only. I've done really well with scripps water so far, my system inhabitants like it. If all the new water may be a shock to my system I can add 20 gallons or so at a time and see how it goes.

Squid is offline Registered User
      My status is: Make like a cake

I am:
      Hungry

Doubled my water volume a couple months ago. No issues and I used "Dirty Scripps water" lol

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by crabbysd View Post
      Heres a thing, the cycle never stops in the tank unless you drop bleach in. So I dont like to call it a mini cycle(its exhibiting the signs of a new tank cycling yes). It starts and hopefully never ends, but it does get overwhelmed though, esp w overstocking and digging around, and my Talbot.
      Yea its possible youll kick up some gunk and get some algae , but it depends on whats in the new tank side. And yea overstocking would possibly cause issues as the cycle biofilter catches up.
      but if its just a frag tank with live sand and frags it should be fine.

Heating and cooling the system might be a challenge.

Hahah "Dirty scripps water", Im one some other boards and man we should count our blessings. Live sand from a bag and dirty scripps water you just drop a fish in. In iowa rodi red sea C P, new tank 3 months old, it gets ick. Thats what im seeing any way.
      Makes sense to me, thanks for explaining!

And don't get me wrong, I use Scripps water as well. Just lots of particulate matter in it at times and whatever else.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

That's good to know! I guess I'll be safe and add in batches just in case.

The system is out on my covered deck. Heating is okay so far and does well with low temps. I have a ranco controller hooked up to an 800w heater, I'll probably add a back up heater at some point as the ranco is dual. A nice breeze is always around, due to living on large hill, and I have a ceiling fan under the roof where the tank is. I'm not anticipating cooling issues but I'll see how summer goes and may have to incorporate fans/timers. The biggest issue so far is evaporation. I installed an auto top off that works brilliantly.

FDdragon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

I agree, shouldn't be an issue if no rock or sand.

Good luck

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAvnger View Post
      Makes sense to me, thanks for explaining!

And don't get me wrong, I use Scripps water as well. Just lots of particulate matter in it at times and whatever else.
      Hey was thinking about this.
      Yea dirty is actually a good word here kinda though. High nutrient, (like my tanks ), its comes from a slow, mud bottom shallow place, and yea too close to humans. So depending on where certain corals come from esp those who do really need low nutrients is not the best choice out there IMO. That goes double for maricultures from super clean waters. Much coral browning is due to high nutrients added to being brought to an environment of different and lower light intensity. Photsyntheisis slows down and the coral cant process the nutrients into usable sugars. so acetates build up making it brown.
      or so im told.

Were I to start a true low nutrient system id cycle it with scripps(in six seconds) and probably never use scrips in it again till the nutrients got tooo low or I had bacterial probs.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information