• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Biocube 29 HQI my first SW attempt

pellikan is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Cool, I got a light meter somewhere. Story of my life lately, I know it's here somewhere just can't find it! Anyway, I appreciate the input. I'm a reefing virgin.

Anyways, I've for a ways to go before it gets wet. Gotta plumb and build my sump. The overflow box I ordered arrived broken but amazon will refund. Just more time waiting. I'm not sure how the plumbing will be secured when using a hob overflow. Should i go with rigid PVC or flexible tubing? I think I'd like to do PVC with a bit of flexible hose from the pump to the inlet riser. Just a few inches to reduce vibration/sound. What's a neat and secure way to hold the plumbing?

For the sump I have a 20g high. I need to get some glass. Since the sump is a little short width-wise I was thinking only one piece of glass between the first chamber, with protein skimmer and filter sock, and the second which is for a refugium. 3 piece bubble trap into the third which houses the return pump. I hope that won't cause to many problems down the road but it seems space is somewhat short. How big a refugium do I need? Will that extra inch make that much difference?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

I think I'd like to do PVC with a bit of flexible hose
      Yea that.

I go to the glass guy on El cajon blvd about 6200. The rest sounds right. Your close to SDcorals on University, check his sumps out.They are all in plain view too. Chris there made most of them.

You can save space if you pic your skimmer too. I want with the Tunze as its compact, works great too. I have the 9001 and 9002. the 90002 in the DT. only downfall with that depth like mine you maynot get the skimming power pulling up from the bottom of the chamber. (but thats really splitting hairs IMO.)

fuge size? dealers choice really and what room you have left as long as you have good flow through the chato..

I only have one bubble wall after the inlet/skimmer chamber.

My sump is a 30 tall. here it is. The only regret I should have put the pump chamber in the right corner for flow.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...uge&highlight=

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I ordered some schedule 80 plumbing from BRS. Just waiting for it to arrive. Meanwhile, I've done a little wiring. The box is cut to fit into the upper left corner of my stand. Litte rim left over to mount the Pi controller I'm working on.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I think I got trouble. I was going to do the plumbing for the sump today when I noticed a small chip of glass in the 3rd chamber. Oh crap, there's another one! Upon inspection I find a crack in the glass on the back top left hand corner. It extends about 2 inches across and half an inch down. I feel like I'm looking at future catastrophic failure. So frustrated!

So what do you think, slap some silicone on it and hope for the best or just toss this tank? Some other option I haven't thought of?

Hard to get a picture, this is as good as it gets.

nanoreef1 is offline Registered User
      My status is: 83Reefs

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by pellikan View Post
      I think I got trouble. I was going to do the plumbing for the sump today when I noticed a small chip of glass in the 3rd chamber. Oh crap, there's another one! Upon inspection I find a crack in the glass on the back top left hand corner. It extends about 2 inches across and half an inch down. I feel like I'm looking at future catastrophic failure. So frustrated!

So what do you think, slap some silicone on it and hope for the best or just toss this tank? Some other option I haven't thought of?

Hard to get a picture, this is as good as it gets.

Cut small piece of glass add silicone you should be good to go..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I think I might trust it for freshwater patched that way. With the constant movement of water required for saltwater plus the weight of sump plumbing hanging on the back, no. I'm afraid I'll just have to get a replacement tank.

I thought I'd use the biocube as an easy beginning point into this hobby and upgrade later if it worked out. But now I'm gonna upgrade before I'm even started. I'm in too deep to stop now.

So, I went to the store and ordered a drilled 80 gallon. I guess I'll have to move this build thread out of the nano section.

nanoreef1 is offline Registered User
      My status is: 83Reefs

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by pellikan View Post
      I think I might trust it for freshwater patched that way. With the constant movement of water required for saltwater plus the weight of sump plumbing hanging on the back, no. I'm afraid I'll just have to get a replacement tank.

I thought I'd use the biocube as an easy beginning point into this hobby and upgrade later if it worked out. But now I'm gonna upgrade before I'm even started. I'm in too deep to stop now.

So, I went to the store and ordered a drilled 80 gallon. I guess I'll have to move this build thread out of the nano section.

Nice even better 80 gallon. Post some pics new thread build can't wait to see it!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information