Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Biocube 29 HQI my first SW attempt

pellikan is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Biocube 29 HQI my first SW attempt

Hi all,

I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself and what I'm up to, reef-wise.

I've had a freshwater tank for the past, oh, 20ish years but I've always wanted to try saltwater. Lately though I've been obsessing about it. Reading forums, websites and burning up my library card. But I've never made the jump, until now that is. I saw a Biocube on Craigslist for sale that was still in the box so I bought it. Thus begins the downward spiral of expensive mistakes in sure to make.

The tank didn't come with a stand so I'm building one. I'm building it oversized to accommodate a refugium and to have some space on the side to set a QT tank when needed. (besides, you never know, I may upgrade tanks in the future and I'm not re'doing the stand if I don't have to)

I was going to post a pic or two but it looks like I need to have them hosted somewhere rather than upload from my pc? so that'll have to wait for another time.

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by pellikan View Post
      Hi all,

I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself and what I'm up to, reef-wise.

I've had a freshwater tank for the past, oh, 20ish years but I've always wanted to try saltwater. Lately though I've been obsessing about it. Reading forums, websites and burning up my library card. But I've never made the jump, until now that is. I saw a Biocube on Craigslist for sale that was still in the box so I bought it. Thus begins the downward spiral of expensive mistakes in sure to make.

The tank didn't come with a stand so I'm building one. I'm building it oversized to accommodate a refugium and to have some space on the side to set a QT tank when needed. (besides, you never know, I may upgrade tanks in the future and I'm not re'doing the stand if I don't have to)

I was going to post a pic or two but it looks like I need to have them hosted somewhere rather than upload from my pc? so that'll have to wait for another time.
      Hello and welcome! You are like I was almost a year ago, except it seems like you read and learned more before you took the plunge!

If you want to post pictures you can upload them to www.imgur.com for free, no account needed or anything just drag n drop.

Salt water seemed intimidating to me at first, but it is really not that complicated. Sand, rock, water, light, food, water changes. Maybe some calcium and other chemicals if you want to later on. Nice and simple.

jessegarcia28 is offline Registered User
      My status is: @work

I am:
      Sneaky

Welcome to Sdr
      You can also upload your pics by using Tapatalk
      So easy IME
      Gl
      Have fun
      Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

K, I'll try Tapatalk

My Craigslist special. Dunno how long the guy had it but it was still in the box and didn't look messed with. As you see my cat is very helpful. What can you say, it's a cat & a box. Could there be any other possible outcome?

This is my plan for the stand. The light lines that take up about the center third represent the tank width.

The wood I'm using came from old, irrepairable pianos and has seen better days. But there's good wood in there somewhere.

After some milling and shaping I got the top glued up.

I'm stopping putting pictures in for now. Not sure how many/post is acceptable or even if I'm doing this right. I'm not used to Tapatalk. Thank you for the welcome BTW, appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

A craftsman!

Are you an architect or something? That looks nice, and nice wood!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Ok, not too difficult. Only 1 pic sideways. A few more pics then.

A test fit of the frame.

A week later and anotjer test fit with the panels in and top on. Nothing has been glued yet at this point, just the mortise and tennon joints holding it together. Next step is to start gluing it up and make the door. I think it's comimg out nice. I surprise myself sometimes.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Yeah, I was hoping for a "craftsman" vibe. Love that style. I actually did study architecture but that didn't end up being my profession.

Rudyg308 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Welcome to sdreefs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I got the pieces for the door cut out and stained.

This is what it looks like set into the stand.

The center panel has the shape of a pelican cut into it. I hope the refugium light will shine through nicely.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

swplimited is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Really nice work with reclaimed wood

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

HQI no more. Got an Ocean Revive T247 LED light at MAX. I kept reading about heat issues with the HQI and I was trying to work out in my head how to deal with it. After pricing chillers the LED fixture seemed the most economical solution.

swplimited is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by pellikan View Post
      HQI no more. Got an Ocean Revive T247 LED light at MAX. I kept reading about heat issues with the HQI and I was trying to work out in my head how to deal with it. After pricing chillers the LED fixture seemed the most economical solution.
      t247 is a great light, grows anything IMO, good choice. I honestly saw more growth with t247s than the radion I have now lol

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Nice to hear. I knew from reading around that the metal halide light would handle most anything but heat was the problem. I had some concerns about the led lights efficacy. Now I'm a little more confident.

Suggestions on channel percentages for starting out with softies would be appreciated. I don't want to burn anybody out.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Overall stand construction is complete. A few details to take care of. A box for electronics had been made but not installed yet and a board inside the top of the doorway to mount controllers needs to be cut and installed. I was also thinking of making a towel rack for the side. I dunno if I'll turn it from scratch or buy a ready-made one.

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

WOW man. That stand is just KILLER!!

The t 247 is pretty nice, good reviews. Im a light meter guy. if you set your intensity with a lux meter, it should be safe at about 20,000 lux at the top of the water. Should be in the neighborhood of 300 par, +/- 50. 15,000 is a bit safer(radion/AI/kessel)
      if the unit has an acclimation mode us it when you get new corals for a week or two then move the corals from the bottom to up where you want them.
      You may eventually get to 30,000 lux, but you'll likely have 150+ par on the bottom of the tank. see how it goes.
      Set the ratio by eye, IMO, and then check overall intensity.
      acclimation to light is key.

Lets get it wet!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information