• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Decisions, decisions....

CGsReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Frank is going to pm you. You can get away with a eurobrace and a 72 inch tank. Score!!!!!!

goody is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by h20poloman View Post
      Hey Brian, congrats on the new house. Are you still in Carlsbad? Depending on how far you are from the coast, if you run AC and how ventilated your garage is should also factor in to whether or not you use the garage for filtration. If you have solar or plan on it then it also wouldn't likely matter as much but if the garage runs hot you could really see a crazy increase in your electricity bill. Maybe put a temp guage in your garage for a bit and see how it's running compared to the outside temp. We run our AC a lot in the summer so I didn't have to worry about a chiller on my 248g but I also had electricity bills north of $600-700 a month and that was before they have hiked rates again. My bill dropped about $300-400/month since being tankless. I love a deeper tank but it's a bit more challenging and expensive to figure out a lighting solution when you get to 36" deep so keep that in mind. If you plan on sticking with T'5s you'll likely want at least an 8 bulb up to 30" deep and you could possibly stretch it to 32" deep depending on your aquascape and coral selection. LED's don't seem to have the spread as T5's so even more challenging to figure out a solution on a deeper tank. Halides are awesome but you know the issues with electricity cost and heat they produce. If you go with the ATI T5/LED fixture or any other similar ones you probably are still looking at 30-32" deep max for light coverage.

As for MACNA, not sure what kind of deals you can get on actual tanks there but it's possible. If you wanted a Reef Savvy tank though you could possibly save on shipping they will be attending and I know some other hobbyists have had them made and delivered at MACNA (display tank you could take home after the show...they don't fill it). It would still be pricey no doubt but IMO they are the best tank manufacturer however, the price deters most. There will be some other tank manufacturers there and I'm sure they would prefer to sell their show tanks at a deal then ship or transport them home.

Either way, looking forward to having you back in the hobby. My travel is going to be nuts for a while so my build is going but slow as well since there is no urgency to get it wet yet.
      Thanks for the reply, Marlin. Good to see you're getting back in, too. We moved to San Elijo. Only about 5 miles away from old place, but further east. Much newer house so pretty energy efficient. Been in here for six months and $170 was highest electricity bill. Most are just over $100, so even though I've had solar quotes, mainly knowing a tank was in the future, still not sure if that is a good route for us. I like the idea of measuring temperature of garage. Currently no ventilation in there.

I still have my 48" 8x54w dimmable fixture, and my hope is to still be able to use it. I had it on my 60x24x24, so definitely adding more depth, but like you mentioned aquascape and coral placement key. Also thinking of adding two Reefbrite xho to cover more depth. Cornel is running a 48" t5/led hybrid on his 33" deep tank, and looks great.

May get a quote from Reef Savvy since they are coming out for MACNA. Probably more than I want to spend and not sure I can wait that long. Really starting to get that itch to get back in.
      Last edited by goody; 02-29-2016 at 09:11 PM.
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Put in a reef savvy quote just for fun. who knows, maybe I'll get a deal since they're coming out for MACNA. Wishful thinking. So, I'm now leaning towards a 65×33×24 or 72×33x24. The 72" length would require me to purchase an entire new light fixture whereas on the 65" I think I'd still use my 48" Sunpower and just add some reefbrite xho. Limited on depth unless I can take off slider in house. Even so, with an external ghost overflow, the tank might be too far off wall for my liking. I taped off the 65"x33" to see how much space I'd have on the sides and in front of the tank. Definitely leaning towards equipment in garage even if it means having a small "room "built.
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

jada1 is offline SDMAS STAFF
      My status is: chill

I am:
      Crazy

You never sold your dimmable i been looking for one.
      My build in progress
      125gallon Leemar rimless 48x30x20 starphire, 48 Ati Hybrid, Ghl /Apex dos, powered by an Apex, ecotech, tunze for flow,
      Custom sump made by me.
      http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...ew-Beginning.-.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by jada1 View Post
      You never sold your dimmable i been looking for one.
      Nope, so if it's not going to work on my new tank, I'll give you a call.

jada1 is offline SDMAS STAFF
      My status is: chill

I am:
      Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
      Nope, so if it's not going to work on my new tank, I'll give you a call.
      Ok cool...let see some pics of the progress buddy.
      My build in progress
      125gallon Leemar rimless 48x30x20 starphire, 48 Ati Hybrid, Ghl /Apex dos, powered by an Apex, ecotech, tunze for flow,
      Custom sump made by me.
      http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...ew-Beginning.-.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Update on my SLOW return.

Been purchasing new/used equipment including:

APEX Controller
      GHL doser
      Sump 48X20X20
      20" Ghost Overflow
      Skimz 253 Monster skimmer

I was having difficulties deciding on a stand and tank dimensions. Then today, my wife OK'd an in-wall build so things may be changing. This idea came about when I showed her the BRS large tank challenge winner. Awhile back I posted a thread about it and a few thought it was an office build. Well, I came across the build here and it is in fact an in-wall with tank and all equipment in garage. I'm not that handy, so I will most likely be needed the services of a plumber,electrician/contractor. I just hope all these great/high end sps I'm seeing for sale lately are available when I do get back in.
      Last edited by goody; 04-01-2017 at 06:12 PM.

garrettm is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Geeky

Any updates??

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by garrettm View Post
      Any updates??
      Not really. I'm on summer break now and would like to get things going, but I'm not sure what exactly I will need to do for an in-wall and if it's worth it. Been calling some companies to get quotes on epoxy for garages. Also been trying to determine what I need in there for any possible temp/ humidity issues. If you can provide any insight, I'd really appreciate it.

jschnepf is offline Registered User
      My status is: Happy as a clam

I am:
      Amused

Brian, you are welcome to stop by and check out my setup anytime. It isn't fancy but sounds very much like what you are looking at. I'm just about a block south of Aquatica. PM me if you don't have my number anymore.

pirate2876 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Poorly

Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
      Not really. I'm on summer break now and would like to get things going, but I'm not sure what exactly I will need to do for an in-wall and if it's worth it. Been calling some companies to get quotes on epoxy for garages. Also been trying to determine what I need in there for any possible temp/ humidity issues. If you can provide any insight, I'd really appreciate it.
      I don't have an inwall tank but, my tank is plumbed through the garage, with a frag tank as well. I have some exhaust fans our contractor installed you could check out if you want. Let me know if you want to stop by and check things out. I'm right by Lake Hodges in Esco.

And @CGsReef, come by sometime as well. I could always use constructive input.

Ray
      Last edited by pirate2876; 06-24-2017 at 08:45 AM.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by jschnepf View Post
      Brian, you are welcome to stop by and check out my setup anytime. It isn't fancy but sounds very much like what you are looking at. I'm just about a block south of Aquatica. PM me if you don't have my number anymore.
      pm coming, Jon.

I don't have an inwall tank but, my tank is plumbed through the garage, with a frag tank as well. I have some exhaust fans our contractor installed you could check out if you want. Let me know if you want to stop by and check things out. I'm right by Lake Hodges in Esco..
      Your setup is how I was originally going to set up my tank, but wife approved the in-wall. I was looking into a Nutone fan, but I wasn't sure if I had to have it with duct work. The garage where tank would go does have some vents on roof-no attic in this garage.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information