• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wed Meeting Feb 10th

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

I did do the leg work on this one, over heard the owner of encinitas tropicals talking to someone and said he was surprised no one from here had tried to work w/ him as a local fish store, and I interupted and said I know we are always seeking a host and would be nice to have some support in the North county.

I'm the one that suggested this LFS and made the connection.

It was by accident I even looked at the site news post just to double check time, I assumed as always anything new posted day of was just a reminder, not a cancellation.

I would have called the owner myself had I not seen the post that said yes the next meet would still be at Encinitas Tropicals, figured communication had to have come w/ permission on the postponment.

It did cross my mind that this is not the way we should be treating hosts that have gone out of their way as we approach even bigger events.

VW REEFS is offline Advanced Hobbyist
      My status is: reefing

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Things getting a little heated, I sent a pm to Encinitas Tropical on Tues telling them we would have to postpone, and posted a thread on the boards, we could not get the raffle prizes quick enough due to only 10 days between meetings, that and the site going down for a few days didn't help any. I chatted with Jeff about it also, as far as emailing people first I have no access, lesson learned here, will not schedule meetings so close, so much for trying to do a good thing. As far as bashing the club this is on me, would I like help of course but we know everyone works there butts off and do not always have the time to volunteer for SD Reefs events. that being said lets move on and fix the issues. Thanks Vance

I am:
      Amused

To place blame on yourself alone is not right either, sdmas is more than one person, there should be some sort of protocol and notifying someone gracious enough to prepare for what they were told would be 60 people showing up and keeping employees late that a meeting is canceled should be first priority, and cancelled should have been bannered on the site so it would be obvious to all members looking.
      But I agree, too late now and hopefully the site can be brought back to snuff soon and a lesson learned.
      I feel bad for both members that showed, and our host went much more out of his way than just ordering pizzas, that guy deserves an apology and hopefully will be open to future meets.
      Good luck w/ site issues.

unbereefable is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

That's why I like Vance. Steps up when others won't. Always been there to help, even though his VW reefs is blowing up. I'll bite the bullet and become sole planner of the meetings. I'm busy too, but I can still pitch in and help. There should be someone appointed to planning meetings, location and time, and only 1 person. Then others should be given other task that take place at the meeting, like food, prizes, etc. that way one person isn't overwhelmed with several tasks. Split it up and everyone takes a little piece of the headache for the greater good. I just tossed in my hat, will others...
      Last edited by unbereefable; 02-12-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Sancho is offline Premium Member
      My status is: yo mama

I am:
      Piratey

I was really looking forward to this meeting. I have been a customer of Encinitas Tropical Fish since the day they opened 20 some odd years ago. Neil and Tuan have really turned that shop around. Its a shame that this meeting was canceled at the last minute. North county has a lot of long time members of this Forum. John, and Louis have tried to get regular north county meetings and get togethers going. Its nice to not have to drive 45min to an hour to attend a meeting. Neil was more than generous with a north county meeting we put together for north county guys last year. I am sure he would have bent over backwards to make this an awesome meeting. My work schedule right now gives me a lot of free time. If you guys need any help I am always willing to step up.

stupidted is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

I'm willing to help anyway I can. I know that the guys planning Macna have to be swamped and are doing the best they can. I currently have plenty of time on my hands to contribute anyway that I can. Maybe we should have a separate meeting for those that can volunteer their time to figure out a game plan for the club and meetings moving forward. Feel free to reach out to me. 619.245.1358

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

I'm in. The Mrs is a master of mail chimp and mass emails. I do event work and coordination. Not usually on a scale this small. I'm ex army and was trained in those types of logistics.
      And folks will still pretend to not get it or honestly overlook it.
      There will always be bumps in the road. And email and texts are still unreliable. The Mrs is a PTA pres and it's very similar. There are a few passionate folks who wind up doing the lions share of the work.
      I for one would like to learn. We in San Diego are blessed to have Scripps and our corals are so plentiful I can't give a Xenia away.
      Maybe look back at the old ways before stupid smart phones. Take a meeting. Make some plans. The next few meet ups don't need to be fancy I don't need prizes. But I can call the jellyfish guy from Scripps.
      Jus like Reefing. Start w a lil tank get your chops. And figure out how to keep upgrading.

Thank you all for the hard work. I hope it gets going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h20poloman is offline Premium Member
      My status is: I'd rather be reefing than
      working

I am:
      Tired

Having been a part of SDMAS since it was resurrected about a decade ago I'd like to apologize for the way this was handled. We are definitely having conversations about what went wrong and putting in measures to correct anything like this from happening in the future. We will definitely be looking to make this up to Neil and Encinitas Tropical in addition to all of us hobbyists. For those that offered to help with future meetings it's definitely appreciated and some of the current SDMAS staff may be reaching out in the near future.
      187G Reef Savvy 60x30x24

00/0Feedback

reef56 is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Now were thinking and coming togather

Quote Originally Posted by stupidted View Post
      I'm willing to help anyway I can. I know that the guys planning Macna have to be swamped and are doing the best they can. I currently have plenty of time on my hands to contribute anyway that I can. Maybe we should have a separate meeting for those that can volunteer their time to figure out a game plan for the club and meetings moving forward. Feel free to reach out to me. 619.245.1358

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Maybe we should have a separate meeting for those that can volunteer their time to figure out a game plan for the club and meetings moving forward.
      I hope folks didn't take my comments wrong BUT it did what I was hoping it would do and start to pull all of us together as this is what needs to be done. THIS IS A BIG EVENT!

Exactly what the club needs to do I for one have no problem helping but we need to have a game plan. I worked at the Reefpalooza last Sept, setting up and all day Sat helping with the raffles. I am also a member of the SCMAS and they asked at every meeting for help and email campaigns as well. The final meeting a week before show we had around 40-50 show up. Just to go over everything before the show and picked up a few more volunteers as well.

Bottom line I saw was where there was a comment that only 4-5 deal with it all.....not right or fair to them this event can't not be done by just 4-5. Is there a event chairman? If not should have a one and then fill in under him/her as to raffles,membership table,setup crew, the big one is email campaigns to membership and other clubs,stores,FB,Twitter,Instagram and so forth. Also do we have a final floor plan of show yet?

Don't forget Bob Fenner also has great ideas and has done a few of these shows.

Let's start a list of volunteers or (another thread just for this):

Mark- mark@koidepot.com 619-569-9453 cell
      ??
      ??
      ??

Let's pull together and do this!

Sancho is offline Premium Member
      My status is: yo mama

I am:
      Piratey

I am willing to volunteer my time in any capacity for this club. masonporta@icloud.com

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

I wanted to step in and apologize to those that took the time to drive to the meeting. While we did notify you that the meeting had been postponed, it wasn't with enough lead time to be effective. On Monday, I will be reaching out to Neil at Encinitas Tropical Fish to apologize and see what we can do to make things right.

As mentioned by others, we've asked for help with planning meetings in the past as we knew our attention for the most part would be on MACNA and have not received much interest. We would need the following from people looking to help with meeting planning:

-Venue coordination
      -Acquiring raffle prizes
      -Speaker liaison
      -Public relations (advertising meetings, relaying information about meetings, changes in meeting schedule etc.)

If you would like to volunteer to help coordinate meetings, send an email to jeff.saurwein@sdmas.com. Please provide your SDReefs screen name, why you'd like to help and what you'd like to help with.

On a more positive note, we have a pretty cool meeting for March planned and will be announcing details for that shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

We need to be clear on something here...we are talking about monthly meetings. Do not mix that up with MACNA. Two very different elements. MACNA is well under way any info you need on that can be found on the MACNA 2016 website. If anyone has any specific questions about MACNA please start another thread for those questions. Rest assured that over the last five years and literally thousands of hours, MACNA is coming along quite well.

I have seen several people make criticisms of how things were handled so time to put up or shut up. One of you come up with a location and date/time for all of you to get together and let's get this going. I would love to get back into the groove of regular meetings but it takes a lot of people. Several of the people that committed to help the last time we went through this have either flaked or simply had things change in their life that has taken up their time. Let's get together and get this element to the club more organized.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

reef56 is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      We need to be clear on something here...we are talking about monthly meetings. Do not mix that up with MACNA. Two very different elements. MACNA is well under way any info you need on that can be found on the MACNA 2016 website. If anyone has any specific questions about MACNA please start another thread for those questions. Rest assured that over the last five years and literally thousands of hours, MACNA is coming along quite well.

I have seen several people make criticisms of how things were handled so time to put up or shut up. One of you come up with a location and date/time for all of you to get together and let's get this going. I would love to get back into the groove of regular meetings but it takes a lot of people. Several of the people that committed to help the last time we went through this have either flaked or simply had things change in their life that has taken up their time. Let's get together and get this element to the club more organized.

Ok see your in La Mesa am in Lakeside.............so are referring to a meeting to a meet to discuss this or an actual monthly meeting for membership? Either way....... it can be done. Let me know as I can pitch in on posting meetings ectra, meeting sites, suggested website updates, and also have a mail chimp account so can send out a monthly news letter if you like. Many ways to promote SDMAS at really zero cost just time.

My resume........... https://www.linkedin.com/profile/pub...public_profile

Let me know and we can get it rolling also can work with Bob as well as he and I go way back.............

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

Not sure how spread this but, Yall see this in the chat box?
      Mr Fenner has offer.

ChatBox
      Click here to Log-in/Log-out B I U Remove Text Formatting Smilies
      Message...
      255 ►
      New [14-02, 10:33] crabbysd: Your spoiling us! but Ill take it!
      New [14-02, 10:14] Bob Fenner: Oh, If the group would like, I can/will make this (and a bunch of other topic) talks at meetings of SDMAS.
      New [14-02, 09:35] crabbysd: http://sandiegotropicalfish.com/meetings/
      New [14-02, 09:31] crabbysd: Thanks Bob!!
      New [14-02, 09:19] sushi: What sort of liveatock? fish or cattle? sorry if this is a dumb stupid question
      New [14-02, 09:17] Bob Fenner: An invite to hear my pitch/presentation on Livestock Disease (The Three Sets of Factors that Determine Livestock Health) tonight! Sunday 2/14/2016. At the San Diego Tropical Fish Society meeting in Balboa Park... Casa Del Prado, Room 104; Seven PM (the ta

I am:
      Amused

Bob Fenner is a great and interesting speaker, nice to have him involved.

I wish I could commit to helping more but my schedule is determined by my business, and running it solo robs me of certain freedoms, so I'll just try to continue to do what I can to help when time allows.

I know years ago many LFS did not appreciate sites like ours thinking it robbed business, so I support them where I can, makes us a stronger community working together and allows more choices, so it's nice to see those willing to get involved.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information