• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Duke's 240 Gallon Reef Dream Build

Duke4130 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Duke's 240 Gallon Reef Dream Build

I haven't been as active on the boards for awhile so it is time to start contributing again to the forum that has given me so much in the past. I think this build I am doing is worthy of starting a build thread. Just to give you a little background on the build, the CEO of my company which is a dear friend to me has an empty 240gl FOWLR sitting in his den. The people that installed it 4 years ago didn't do a very good job on setting it up. For a premium price they put in an old trickle filter sump, no hard plumbing and a 2 bulb retro fit T5 set up. While he was on vacation for 2 weeks last July, the housekeeper tripped the breaker and all power went out to the system. Unknowingly, the house keeper just kept feeding the tank and when the boss came back, all of his livestock was belly up in the system. At the time he decided to break down the system. So he has an empty in-wall 240 that is turning into an eye sore. Him and his wife decided to get the tank going again. He received a bid from a local servicing company for $15,000 just to turn it into a FOWLR again. Knowing that I am in the hobby he decided to ask my opinion on the bid. I looked at it and it was a nice set up but I told him we can do better and turn it into a complete reef system for less money.

One of the issues he stated about the system is that it was very loud, that is because the original installers decided to use the trickle sump and a ASM G4 skimmer for filtration. There is a closet directly behind the tank, so we decided to put the entire filtration system behind the tank in the closet with a full mixing station and RO/DI set up. The idea is to make the system fully automated so it will be less worries for the owner. I will being building rock structures using plexi pillars and live rock. Any opinions or thoughts on any of this is very welcome.

The equipment list I have but together so far is as follows:

Lighting:
      3 - Eco-Tech Radion G3 Pro
      2 - 18" rail kits
      1- Reef Link

Flow:
      Still a little undecided on this, the tank is in the corner basically with the front and left side of the tank exposed. I am trying to make it as clean looking as possible and I am not sure if I want the Eco Tech MP pumps showing on the outside. I am seriously considering going with the Gyre XF 150 but i am not sure yet.

Sump:
      I am going to be going to Advanced Acrylics and have him build me a 24"D x 60"L x 18"T sump. Traditional style with a refugium in the middle. I am going with the red and white PVC hybrid sump purely for aesthetics.

Return:
      Since I do not like external pumps and need to make sure I can turn the 240 with 10 + feet of head, I am going to go with a DC pump. I was thinking about going with the Eco-Tech return just because I like how Eco-Tech is with their warranty in case something happens. I will also building a manifold with a secondary pump to power the chiller and reactors.

Filtration:
      This where I need some opinions. Originally I thought the tank was a 180 (I haven't seen the tanks since it was installed 4 years ago). I was going to go with a Vertex Omega 200I which would have been fine to filter the system. Yesterday I found out it was 240, so the sump is going to be bigger and I need to get a bigger skimmer now. What would you guys recommend for a tank this size?

Automation:
      Going with and APEX Gold system. This is going on a custom built pedestal with a tablet attached to monitor the system. I am going to be getting 4 of the solid surface leak detection probes to go along with it. Depending how far he is going to get into corals, I will be able to add the dosing pumps to the system as well

RO System:
      Vertex Puratek Deluxe. I will be using 2- 45 gallon water tanks. One for fresh and one for mixing/saltwater storage. The pump will be an Eheim 1262 on this.

ATO:
      Tunze Osmolator 3155. I have been running one for 4 years and have never had an issue with it. I will be using a 30 gallon water storage unit for this. The tank is going to get serviced every two weeks so I need to make sure there is enough water

I am getting ready to order everything with in the next couple of days and I will be getting some pics going when i get over to his house next week.

Let's get this build started!!!!!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

All the dry goods finally came in. I ended up ordering a Reef Octopus 220int Elite Skimmer. I never had any issues with RO in past and it says its rated up to 540 gallons. Also, I ended up getting the APEX WAV pumps for water movement. They claim it moves up to 4800gph. Can't beat that with its compact size! Headed over to the house after work today to get the dimensions for the sump. Any recommendations on the sump size i should be looking for? Like I said this is my first giant build...lol

row12 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Great choice on the Reef Octopus Skimmer! Let me know if you need help/ideas with the sump.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by row12 View Post
      Great choice on the Reef Octopus Skimmer! Let me know if you need help/ideas with the sump.
      I am trying to think of the size and design. I need this thing to be as low maintenance as possible

Eric is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Highly recommend the Ecotech - Vectra return pump. It's worth spending a little extra. If anything goes wrong with any of there products, Ecotech will be there to support and help resolve any issues. I have a Vectra on my 240, it's fully integrated with with wireless MP60s which is especially nice when using the feed mode. The pump is SUPER quiet. I also run the Nyos skimmer that Ecotech distributes.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
      Highly recommend the Ecotech - Vectra return pump. It's worth spending a little extra. If anything goes wrong with any of there products, Ecotech will be there to support and help resolve any issues. I have a Vectra on my 240, it's fully integrated with with wireless MP60s which is especially nice when using the feed mode. The pump is SUPER quiet. I also run the Nyos skimmer that Ecotech distributes.
      I did end up ordering the vectra L1. I was going to run the MP pumps but there is a wall with a narrow space where I need to put the pumps and the MP pumps won't fit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Aaron is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Can't wait to see this one. Nice having a near unlimited budget with someone else's money

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So it turns out the space for the sump is a little smaller than expected due to the available space. Myself owning a cube, i know all about space saving and this is what i came up with !!! LOL

I laid out the sump on the ground. its going to be 30"d x 36"w x 16"t. I need to have as much water as possible in the return section in order to do water changes but i need to be able to house the skimmer that has a 16.5"x 12.2" foot print. Also, you gotta run a fuge...LOL ...The fuge is going to be 7"d x 18"w..... Perfect for an 18" light fixture to sit on top .. I already spoke with John at Advanced Acrylics. The bottom will red with white walls all the way around with a red sock hold and probe holder. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Duke4130; 02-17-2016 at 05:19 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sump is ordered and is going to take 5 weeks before it is ready

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

On my AA sump i went with a red bottom, white sides, clear front, and red baffles. The good thing about the white sides is that it hides all the wires in the back so that it always looks clean and organized from the front view.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

On my AA sump i went with a red bottom, white sides, clear front, and red baffles. The good thing about the white sides is that it hides all the wires in the back so that it always looks clean and organized from the front view.
      Yea that is what I was thinking

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

John said he was going to call you for the ato... LOL

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4130 View Post
      John said he was going to call you for the ato... LOL

Hahah nice! Now i need to measure

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The sump is finally ready! I am heading to Advanced Acrylics today to pick it up. 36x30x16... We can finally kick this build into overdrive!!!

omarrubio is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Very nice sump bro!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information