• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PWM LED Controller Advice

jschnepf is offline Registered User
      My status is: Happy as a clam

I am:
      Amused

Storm x has 16 channels of control, two are easily setup already for fan control. I have to look into if it has a temp input option.

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

Thanks Unbreefable That is exactly what we are looking for.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by jschnepf View Post
      Storm x has 16 channels of control, two are easily setup already for fan control. I have to look into if it has a temp input option.
      They do sell the temp probes so there must be a way they do it.
      I'd like pump controll as well . That should be easy
      Pretty stoked been looking for this for months. I even bugged some nerds about it at the maker fair at balboa last week.

I am:
      Amused

If you are looking for LED control plus more reef control features in a DIY package checkout the jarduino aquarium controller. It is an open source project and I think would already include much of what you are looking for. Doesn't offer enough channels of control for my needs, I think it is 5 or 6 LED channels.

I am:
      Geeky

Actually I had looked at that. Still too much programming for me. I'm pretty sure I can just take a channel or four for pumps instead of or in addition to the fans. They already offer speed control for fans it should be the same or similar. And I do need as many lighting channels as you do. Maybe more lol.
      Btw I did see that you plug the probe right into the board it's already programmed.

I am:
      Amused

Yeah I took a look at their instruction pages and saw the temp probe connects to a digital input and is already programmed. I wish the temp could trigger the fan but it looks like that is programmed to change based solely on their "day/night" settings,

The only problem I see with using the storm to control a pump is it only allows a preset level and ramp up/down from that point. You want a lot more variable speeds and ramps for a pump. I would guess the controls for some pwm could be modified but that would still require you to write some custom code for that portion. I'm planning on using my apex to control jebao wave makers. People have shared a lot of their pump programs so I can essentially get something similar to echotecs wave maker modes. (Reef crest, sync, anti sync, lagoon, etc)

I am:
      Geeky

It strange that they didnt write code for the fan to beswitched by the temp. If you use it for led cooling or tank water cooling fans. But maybe they did.
      I dont have other controllers so id like an all in one soloution. Im putting togeter a list of components and questions to email them, its pretty likely theyve thought about it.
      It doesnt come right out and say it but i believe storm is using standard language in tthe controller and is not proprietary. Ie you can download any code from any opensoure any where, but again, id rather not.

My wife and daughter both write some code and take arduino classes as well as some robotics.
      maybe they can halp me program my VCR. That I bult..

kinda proud of myself that my design is almost exactly what theyve done. I added a seperate relay board for fans and and a 6 channel circut for pumps powerheads.
      Last edited by crabbysd; 10-13-2015 at 12:34 PM.

I am:
      Amused

Yeah it is standard arduino programming, you can download the latest firmware code from their site, maybe you or your family can take a look at it and see if it is something we can modify to implement some of our changes we would like.

I am:
      Geeky

Really what your paying for with storm is the software, everything else is off the shelf. And im totally happy to pay for that help right there.

unbereefable is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

If needing more controller stuff, like pumps and temp control, I'd go reefangel. It's arduino. It's a pretty good controller. Mine hasn't let me down yet. Alex is kinda the same, but in a prettier, much easier to use package. If you need more dimming channels, you can add more dimming expansions, or email the owner and ask him to make an expansion module for you with how many channels you think you'll need. Roberto, the owner of reef angel is a nice guy and responds to emails usually pretty quick. But I still think the storm X is the cheapest, best bet/bang for the buck. 16 channels of dimming?! If your using more than 8 channels, seriously consider chosing other LEDs. And pls pls pls, don't use cree for the whites. Cree makes leds for parking lots. Bridglux makes a better white with a higher CRI and it's cheaper/lumin.

I am:
      Geeky

Yea I checked your thread on the led choices and your right on point with other builders if read.
      Really prob about 8 in the tank, id like to play with RGB in there, debate later, also thinking about going pendant style so x2 channels hmm, maybe x3, clouds moves left to right.
      But I also have industrial uses for the same controller box. Adding dmx override inteface and wireless. Think 16color rock and roll par or moving light. All that is is 5 buck component and more coding.
      That's another ball o wax.
      not to mention pixel mapping RGB LEDs on a strip. 3m is 512 channels.
      So this is something I'm enjoying and need to learn.

I am:
      Geeky

Pretty soon I'll be able to build a killer robot.

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by unbereefable View Post
      If needing more controller stuff, like pumps and temp control, I'd go reefangel. It's arduino. It's a pretty good controller. Mine hasn't let me down yet. Alex is kinda the same, but in a prettier, much easier to use package. If you need more dimming channels, you can add more dimming expansions, or email the owner and ask him to make an expansion module for you with how many channels you think you'll need. Roberto, the owner of reef angel is a nice guy and responds to emails usually pretty quick. But I still think the storm X is the cheapest, best bet/bang for the buck. 16 channels of dimming?! If your using more than 8 channels, seriously consider chosing other LEDs. And pls pls pls, don't use cree for the whites. Cree makes leds for parking lots. Bridglux makes a better white with a higher CRI and it's cheaper/lumin.
      We discussed color selection together a while ago. I took some of your advice and got the bridgelux vero 10 high cri chips for whites. Pretty much all philips for colored chips. You suggested the philips m multi chips for royal blues but I got the single chip stars. I will have 10 channels but one of those is for moon lights, and the red channel may be left turned off during normal use. So I am right in line with your 8 channels for normal operation. I will also use two channels for fan control. I was hoping maybe something better had appeared in the last year or so since I last did research, but I guess not. Looks like the storm x is going to be the winner.

Is anyone using a storm or storm x controller? I would love to actually see it in action before pulling the trigger. The very few youtube videos are not that informative.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information