• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: You asked for MACNA in San Diego?? Well guess what we did......

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

You asked for MACNA in San Diego?? Well guess what we did......

It is with great excitement that we make this announcement:

MACNA XXVIII will take place in sunny San Diego!

We have been working hard for almost five years now to realize a dream that many of us have had to bring MACNA back to the West Coast. The show has not been in California since 1998 when it was in Long Beach. There has been a team of us working tirelessly to hammer out the details for this immense undertaking. This process began back in 2010 when several of us on the Board began to talk about why MACNA hasn't been on the West Coast in such a long time. A couple of us started looking into what the process involved and how it all worked. We developed a not so great plan based on limited knowledge that we had and we were unsuccessful in our first bid attempt. We immediately decided to try again with a new wealth of knowledge and experience gained from the first try. When the DC club found out that we were their only real competition for 2015, they stepped it up into high gear and developed a plan that was successful for them. Not being content to just give up, we further refined our bid, headed out to Denver, and made the push again. This time there was no way the MASNA Board could say no. And so, MACNA 2016 is ours!

This whole process was done secretly because of the rules that are put upon the bidding clubs. The city hosting MACNA is a closely guarded secret and is not officially announced until the previous year and traditionally that announcement takes place a week or so prior to the actual event. This is to ensure that vendors, sponsors and attendees will commit to attending the current year's event instead of saying "Oh I'll just wait until next year". We will enjoy the same protections for our event. There are several guidelines that we have been working under and we feel that we have developed a terrific plan for the best MACNA ever. We will be hosting the event September 9 - 11, 2016 at the Town & Country Resort. There are several reasons for choosing this venue with the two main reasons being the room rate that we were able to get at $134/night and the fact that the Great Hall at the T&C is the largest ballroom space outside of the Convention Center in San Diego. And believe me, we will be using every square inch of it and then some. We are pretty excited about what we will have going for this special event.

When the time comes, we will be looking for volunteers to help with this tremendous undertaking. Our first order of business going forward will be a team of us going out to MACNA in DC next week to staff our booth and sign up more sponsors and exhibitors. We will also have registration available on the MACNA 2016 website starting on September 4th. Keep your eyes open here for opportunities to help out as we begin to ramp up toward next September. There will be a little something for everyone. So tell your friends and spread the word...MACNA San Diego is on its way! Check out the MACNA 2016 website:

http://macnaconference.org/2016/

And be sure to download our app at the App Store and Android Marketplace on September 2nd! Just search for "MACNA 2016".

Last edited by specvjeff; 10-07-2015 at 11:24 AM.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Awesome News!
      Great to hear this has finally come to fruition, thanks for all your effort!

acbaldwin is offline Registered User
      My status is: butt stuff

I am:
      Enraged

Nice work Dave!

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Words cannot express how excited I am for this to have finally been announced. Been a long hard road to get here!
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Awesome job guys!

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Awesome! Very exciting! Amazingly, this will be the VERY FIRST aquarium show of ANY kind, that I have EVER been to!

Origami is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Congratulations, San Diego! Great job. I look forward to coming back and actually enjoying a MACNA for a change.

Tom
      MACNA 2015

Squid is offline Registered User
      My status is: Make like a cake

I am:
      Hungry

MACNA I can actually go to? Awesome, I can't wait!!!

seareef is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Sleeping... ZZZZZZ

I am:
      Cool

You guys rock!
      BFT2000 Build

hughjaas is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaFishies View Post
      Awesome! Very exciting! Amazingly, this will be the VERY FIRST aquarium show of ANY kind, that I have EVER been to!
      Same here Chris. Really looking forward to it. Great work Dave!

Shells is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

This was a lot of work for you guys! Way to go!
      Shelly
      180g Reef
      150g FO
      55G FWP
      5g FWP (office tank)
      SDMAS BOD MEMBER

Origami is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Most people have no idea just how much work it takes to get to this point: How much effort it takes to evaluate sites and events, to put together a plan and a budget and to translate that all into a winning proposal; and then to pitch the proposal. Then, once you've won, to continue the planning and to lay all of the infrastructure in place so that you're ready when the public announcement is made so you can start making the sales that underwrite the whole event. The next year will be a combination of detailed planning followed by a huge kick into high gear for execution. It'll be all hands on deck for SDMAS in the weeks before the conference. Support your club and support this endeavor. I've learned over the last couple of years that you've got great leadership and resources in both Jeff and Dave, and hope that you all recognize that. It's great to have that, but they'll need your help.

As a person with some roots in San Diego (I'm a Poway High grad from back when we were still chiseling glyphs on stone tablets), I am as pleased as punch to be able to turn the reins over to as fine a team as San Diego has put in place.

Tom Land
      MACNA 2015 / WAMAS President

sdnd is offline Registered User
      My status is: At Work

I am:
      Tired

Way to go gents! Can't wait to be a part of this!

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Thank you so much for the kind words Tom! You and the team in DC have been a pleasure to work with. Thank you so much for your support!

Quote Originally Posted by Origami View Post
      Most people have no idea just how much work it takes to get to this point: How much effort it takes to evaluate sites and events, to put together a plan and a budget and to translate that all into a winning proposal; and then to pitch the proposal. Then, once you've won, to continue the planning and to lay all of the infrastructure in place so that you're ready when the public announcement is made so you can start making the sales that underwrite the whole event. The next year will be a combination of detailed planning followed by a huge kick into high gear for execution. It'll be all hands on deck for SDMAS in the weeks before the conference. Support your club and support this endeavor. I've learned over the last couple of years that you've got great leadership and resources in both Jeff and Dave, and hope that you all recognize that. It's great to have that, but they'll need your help.

As a person with some roots in San Diego (I'm a Poway High grad from back when we were still chiseling glyphs on stone tablets), I am as pleased as punch to be able to turn the reins over to as fine a team as San Diego has put in place.

Tom Land
      MACNA 2015 / WAMAS President
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

jada1 is offline SDMAS STAFF
      My status is: chill

I am:
      Crazy

Finally it was so hard to keep it a secret . So excited we finally got it.
      My build in progress
      125gallon Leemar rimless 48x30x20 starphire, 48 Ati Hybrid, Ghl /Apex dos, powered by an Apex, ecotech, tunze for flow,
      Custom sump made by me.
      http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...ew-Beginning.-.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information