• + Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 sensor ATO and light controller with Raspberry Pi

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

2 sensor ATO and light controller with Raspberry Pi

Hello,

I made an ATO system with two float sensors, a Raspberry Pi, and a solid state relay board. I wanted to log fills to a database so that irregularities could be detected and I would be notified. I also wanted more than a purely mechanical system so that I could try to prevent flooding due to stuck floats.

I have a lower and upper float. If the lower float sinks too far, the script will check the last fill time and if it was long enough ago, it will turn on the pump. Every second it will read the sensor to see if it has lifted. After it lifts up, the pump will run for one more second and stop. It is set to run no more than 10 seconds at a time, no more than once per hour (for now). If the water level goes low before an hour has passed, or the pump runs longer than 10 seconds without lifting the lower float, I am going to have it send an email to me.

The upper float switch is between the 3.3v signal to run the pump and the pump relay. This is so that if the upper float switch is lifted, it will cut off power to the relay and shut the pump off. I also ran a wire from the relay side of the switch to an input pin on the Raspberry Pi so that I can log if this occurs, telling me that the low sensor got stuck. Also if the Pi crashes and the pump gets stuck on, the upper float will cut power to the relay and shut it off.

For the lighting I can set the sunrise time, sunset time, length of sunrise, length of sunset, and maximum intensity. For instance I can set it to start sunrise at 6 am, ramp up to full intensity over 3 hours, then ramp down to 0 over 3 hours, starting at 4 pm. I also turn on the dusk/dawn lights during sunrise and sunset, and the moonlights at night. I am considering adding in the ability to retrieve sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset times from any location and have it use those. I might not do this since equatorial sunset times don't change that much. I am also planning to add in random "clouds" where the lights will dim to between 70-95% for random lengths of time. All events are logged to a database.

Here are some pictures of my setup so far, I am going to clean it up once everything is all tested and working, I know it looks like a dangerous mess at the moment.

Float switches

Power box and raspberry pi

Hood with ground + PWM signal wires added

Log from controller script

Simple wiring diagram of ATO system

The 8 outlet box is controlled by the Pi, I just found a tutorial here http://www.instructables.com/id/Web-...el-Powerstrip/ to build it, but I used a solid state relay instead of a mechanical relay.

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Lol crazy! I got a jbj low tops off full stops haha I'm a simple guy but that's pretty badass

greg619 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I did something similar. Mine logs to www.greg-web.net/openfish.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am:
      Tired

I need to get tech savy

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

FYI. Pi with wifi cuts off periodically from power issues. I run a cron job that watches for wifi connection drops and resets the interface. There's info online with a script for this. Other than that its pretty stable.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by greg619 View Post
      I did something similar. Mine logs to www.greg-web.net/openfish.php

Yeah yours is what got me thinking! I am extremely glad I used a raspberry pi instead of an arduino like I was planning.

I wanted to ask you about your database. Do you run it on the pi and run the webserver off the pi directly? I will start graphing and make it look nicer once I get my temp probe in the mail, this is just the raw first test.

I am:
      Tired

When you guys. Make sure it's 100% come make.mine lol

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by greg619 View Post
      FYI. Pi with wifi cuts off periodically from power issues. I run a cron job that watches for wifi connection drops and resets the interface. There's info online with a script for this. Other than that its pretty stable.

Thank you, I was thinking of asking you a few questions but I didn't want to bother you. The main question I had about where the data is stored and where the web server is running from, I asked above

I am embarrassed to show you my code because it will probably look like a baby wrote it

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      When you guys. Make sure it's 100% come make.mine lol
      greg619 might be working on something like that in the future! His looks very nice and well put together. I am too much of an amateur to make something for commercial use, and I don't have time, and I don't want to worry about selling a controller that boils someones fish if something goes wrong. I would not be able to sleep at night.

Maybe if I get something put together that seems really nice and cheaper than the Apex or whatever, I might consider it. It might be cool to sell my power box with the RPi inside and you just plug it in, plug your lights and stuff into it, and connect to it via wifi and set up your whole tank with a web interface. I think to go from what I have to a commercially viable product is a huge leap though.

I am:
      Tired

Sales will skyrocket label it A-PEXX

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      Sales will skyrocket label it A-PEXX
      haha! Call it Ape X and the logo will be a gorilla

I am:
      Tired

And rke rough kit example

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Well it looks like I found my marketing team. 😀 sushi I'd be happy to chat with you. Pm me and I'll give my info. As for your q: my pi talks to one of my Web servers (not hosted on the pi). I do this so that I can check remotely without vpn or tunnel into my home network (no unnecessary security holes). I'm also gonna hook it up to an app at some point so I can get push notifications. Gonna snooze now but will respond tomorrow if you have any other questions.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information