• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anything I should keep in mind for first naner?

sushi is offline Registered User
      My status is: pee in tank

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Anything I should keep in mind for first naner?

Hello, I am posting this here in hopes of avoiding everyone telling me not to try a nano tank for my first reef tank. To get this out of the way:

I like a challenge
      Size is a factor for where I live
      I am stubborn
      I am dumb

So, I have been looking more and more at a 14g nano cube. I just want to make sure I am thinking of everything I will need. Nano cubes have a sort of sump and overflow built into the back, I believe, that I can put a filter, heater, and other stuff into. So what exactly do I need? I see some people say they are running without any filtration. I also see some tanks with water dripping down over plastic balls, ceramic rings, and charcoal.

I am planning to buy or make an ATO with an arduino. This is all for fun, I want to eventually make an arduino web based controller for my whole tank.

What things should I be thinking of before I start buying stuff?

Thank you

scubasteve is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Chillin and helpful

I am:
      Cool

Get a Protien skimmer for sure!

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

heating cooling light mechanical filtration live rock (Natural filtration) live sand
      all you need
      sincerely
      another dumb guy who started with a 10gal reef from petco
      Last edited by crabbysd; 07-23-2015 at 12:50 PM.

I am:
      Geeky

ps mechanical atos are WAYYYY easier. build it for $10 buy for $35 ebay or $60 -75 here
      get the fancy stuff later

leonel619 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

There's nothing wrong with starting with a nano as your fist reef tank. My first reef tank was a 10g with a hang on back filter. Just keep it simple. Just make sure you cycle the rock and sand, don't overstock, have good flow and maybe throw some chemipure in the back chambers or something similar to help with water clarity.
      You won't necessarily need a skimmer (water changes should be enough) most small skimmers suck anyways.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by leonel619 View Post
      There's nothing wrong with starting with a nano as your fist reef tank. My first reef tank was a 10g with a hang on back filter. Just keep it simple. Just make sure you cycle the rock and sand, don't overstock, have good flow and maybe throw some chemipure in the back chambers or something similar to help with water clarity.

yea I love my 28g jbj. came with all the basics. wish Id started there.

I do miss my hob filter. the jbj skimmer is not so good.

and if you buy used you may need new bulbs

leonel619 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by crabbysd View Post
      yea I love my 28g jbj. came with all the basics. wish Id started there.

I do miss my hob filter. the jbj skimmer is not so good.

and if you buy used you may need new bulbs
      Yeah I love the jbj tanks. Or all the AIO lol I just got a jbj 28g from a friend and it's where I'm holding all my rock and corals till I build a stand for another more long term tank.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks for the encouragement! This place is pretty active!

So is there any advantage to having one of those cubes with the separate filter chamber in the back instead of a hang on the back filter system?

I will look into mechanical versus arduino ATO. I really want to play with the arduino, so that is a factor here

Speaking of ATO - is it imperative that I use RO water? My old buddy years ago used to top off with straight tap water, chlorine and all. I think the accumulation of minerals over time is probably not the best.

Also, why do a lot of tanks have no glass cover on top? Can't that make more water evaporate or is there some benefit I am unaware of?

Thanks for the help everyone, I've been wanting to buy a reef tank for 10 years... now is the time.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by leonel619 View Post
      Yeah I love the jbj tanks. Or all the AIO lol I just got a jbj 28g from a friend and it's where I'm holding all my rock and corals till I build a stand for another more long term tank.
      Swwweet! bout time. we want pics in the new thread.

Last thing for you sushi, think about what you want in your tank. SPS(hardest) LPS Softies. What kind of fish. Not all fish get along, not all corals get along. and most like different flow and water conditions.
      My JBJ has 2 1200 maxijets for flow and upgraded leds. If I went softie Id go down to 2 600 or 900 maxies and cover half the leds w gel to cut the lights.
      My first tanks were Mandarin dragonette specific so I chose non agressive corals and fish as tank mates.
      Dont spend a ton on livestock at first buy from the LFS mainly because quarantining and dipping is still part of the learning curve.
      You tank will take on a personality of sorts and will grow some thing like crazy and others will just wither. Still happens to us all.

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post

So is there any advantage to having one of those cubes with the separate filter chamber in the back instead of a hang on the back filter system?

I will look into mechanical versus arduino ATO. I really want to play with the arduino, so that is a factor here

Speaking of ATO - is it imperative that I use RO water? My old buddy years ago used to top off with straight tap water, chlorine and all. I think the accumulation of minerals over time is probably not the best.

Also, why do a lot of tanks have no glass cover on top? Can't that make more water evaporate or is there some benefit I am unaware of?

Thanks for the help everyone, I've been wanting to buy a reef tank for 10 years... now is the time.
      Tap water has very high TDS that can lead to algae issues not to mention the chlorine, chloramine, or any other heavy metal trace that can adversely effect a reef. Most of us do not have glass tops on because of heat issue plus the evaporation is just another method of cooling. I have a 6g shallow AIO that I do not run a skimmer on so I believe that if you do not have a huge bio load and do regular water changes a skimmer is not always a necessity.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post

The cube doesnt have a mech filter except a sponge. a skimmer or HOB aquaclear is more efficent.

rodi

fashion
      and no real benifit

Theres a 14g nano for sale on the boards right now.

arduino is cool, but basics first cuz we know all the headaches and hair pulling you are about to invite upon yourself.
      RODI yes, they dose chlorine at unpredictable times. start clean stay clean. new live rock new live sand.

Advanced aquarist is your friend. Boards can be full of rumor misconception and well meaning advice.
      GREAT bunch here on the boards btw. some real experts.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by jason142 View Post
      Tap water has very high TDS that can lead to algae issues not to mention the chlorine, chloramine, or any other heavy metal trace that can adversely effect a reef. Most of us do not have glass tops on because of heat issue plus the evaporation is just another method of cooling. I have a 6g shallow AIO that I do not run a skimmer on so I believe that if you do not have a huge bio load and do regular water changes a skimmer is not always a necessity.
      Shusi Meet Jason. He is one of the experts. AMAZING tank.

I am:
      Geeky

swplimited is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hello and welcome, in my experience biocubes are great I ran my 29gal biocube skimmer less with nothing more than a sponge chemipure and a fuge with live rock and cheato in the middle chamber, that tank had 2 medium maroon clowns, a lawnmower blenny, yellow watchman goby, pistol shrimp, and 5 Rainbow bubble tip anemones (started as 1 the size of a quarter), a pretty high bio load for 29 gal I am a huge believer in refugiums, and for biocubes those magnetic fuge lights work great, if you have any more questions hit me up with a pm and I can explain how I built the fuge and all, for the low low price of $FREE.99 lol ohh and +1 on defiantly don't use tap water

Here is a great deal on a 14 gal set up
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...n-BioCube.-150

Or if you are looking for a shallow reef AIO 18 gal tank
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...g-tank-225-obo

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by swplimited View Post
      Hello and welcome, in my experience biocubes are great I ran my 29gal biocube skimmer less with nothing more than a sponge chemipure and a fuge with live rock and cheato in the middle chamber, that tank had 2 medium maroon clowns, a lawnmower blenny, yellow watchman goby, pistol shrimp, and 5 Rainbow bubble tip anemones (started as 1 the size of a quarter), a pretty high bio load for 29 gal I am a huge believer in refugiums, and for biocubes those magnetic fuge lights work great, if you have any more questions hit me up with a pm and I can explain how I built the fuge and all, for the low low price of $FREE.99 lol ohh and +1 on defiantly don't use tap water

Here is a great deal on a 14 gal set up
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...n-BioCube.-150

Or if you are looking for a shallow reef AIO 18 gal tank
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...g-tank-225-obo
      Alright thank you for the URLs! I am reading now...

I emailed about the 14 gallon tank. Looks perfect!

In one of those articles it talked about siphoning off the sand during water changes. Do they mean put the tube near the sand to suck stuff off the surface, or do they mean suck up some sand so you can rinse it off and put it back in the tank?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information