• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Programming to avoid peak power expenses

alexwbush is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Programming to avoid peak power expenses

I am moving to Monterey in less than a month and operating on a time based model where mid day costs more than off hours and 2-7pm is peak expense. Honestly, I don't pay for power here as it's included in my rent, but maybe it's the same.

What I am thinking of doing is splitting the light cycle before and after peak and allowing the tank wider temperature ranges, and turn off some pumps during peak hours. Any issues with splitting the light cycle? And other ideas to conserve? I already use radions (LEDs).

knightnsd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

I would move your light cycle to 7-8 normal hours outside of peak before I would split it. I am not sure your power will be as bad there anyway, SDGE is about the worst in the country and your cooling costs are likely less up north I am guessing so less AC may be plenty to offset your power use anyway. I think fish may adapt to it but the corals may be an issue as there normal lighting is a constant night versus schedule rather than 4 on and 4 off type of program but it might be interesting as an experiment. I am thinking of shortening my light cycle during the summer days to maybe 6 hours though and will slowly change the on-off time of the cycle to evenings to reduce tank temp as well so the day's heat and the lighting heat are not both on the tank at the same time.

acbaldwin is offline Registered User
      My status is: butt stuff

I am:
      Enraged

I agree - I'd do a night light cycle, which will offset your heating *and* cooling costs, and I think is less likely to freak out your corals.
      Fan cooling with ATO is a big energy saver, and get a temp controller so your fans and heaters aren't fighting each other.
      You could also do intense lighting for only six hours a day, with sunrise/sunset and blues taking up more time.
      Depending on where you are in Monterey (eg, not Salinas), your temp will probably be more stable.

alexwbush is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks for the inputs!

Monterey will definitely be cooler.

It looks like the Time of Use Plan runs:
      May-Oct Weekdays
      Low Demand: 9pm-10am
      Medium Demand: 10am-1pm, 7pm-9pm
      High Demand: 1pm-7pm
      http://www.pge.com/en/myhome/saveene...tou/index.page

I will consider running a night cycle. I had also heard that running two daylight cycles can help improve growth as it tricks the coral into two cycles per day (versus one). I would consider 6am-10am and then 9pm-1am. I know it's not even (i.e. 4 on, 8 off, repeat). Winter (Nov-Apr) I can run things more normal since there isn't really a high demand period.

I can program this all in my Reef Angel, I believe. I'd run very minimal equipment during medium and high demand periods (10am-9pm).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information