• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Unique custom IM Nuvo 38, custom sump, skimmer

RussM is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Unique custom IM Nuvo 38, custom sump, skimmer

With a move coming up, I'll be breaking down my current tank (a new tank is all ready to go : )

The tank itself is a high-modified Innovative Marine Nuvo 38. The tanks was stripped down to it's parts, the glass cleaned to remove all traces of old silicone, then rebuilt from the ground up with a new rear wall and external overflow box. I used ASI high-modulus aquarium silicone when reassembling, and I was really happy with the result - I got nice clean seams on the rear wall and tank bottom. The rear wall was given a thick sculpturing of polyurethane epoxy and black sand for a rock wall effect. This system was designed to use dual alternating return pumps, although it could easily be used with a single larger pump simply by using a Y to feed the two return lines. In the rear wall are 10 1/2" return holes split into 2 groups of 5. The rear wall has 2 distribution manifolds to distribute water being returned to the tank to each of the return holes.

Rear wall and overflow inlets

Nice clean silicone lines

Overflow box - not the heavy-duty construction

The rear, showing the return distribution manifolds during initial construction. Prior to being put into service, this was all cleaned up and painted.

A current shot, showing the rear rock wall

The overflow box has a tight-fitting cover

The sides of the overflow box extend all the way to the bottom, leaving just enough of a gap to pass wires through - it's just enough to pass through a 3-prong power cord.

The plumbing - from left to right:
      Return #1 pump line
      Emergency drain
      normal (full-siphon) drain w/ vlave for fine tuning and maintenance shut-off
      2econdary drain trickle drain
      Return #2 pump line

Sump and skimmer - you can see the built-in tubing holder for dosing, ATO, or whatever. To the left of the skimmer is a block of 3 float switches - low sump level, normal ATO control, and high sump level. Not seen is a built-in, adjustable probe holder for up to 5 probes, including one which is a bit over-sized for use with a Neptune Apex temp probe. It is behind the skimmer near the rear. To the right is the filter sock holder -made specifically for the E-Shoppes rectangular filter socks. If you look closely, you can see that the base of the skimmer (Warner Marine MF-121) has been raised - I built this sump to be deeper than usual in order to get a few more gallons of TWV. Normal water level is about 11"

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

With the external overflow and side panels, the depth is deeper than a stock Nuvo 38. The actual external dimensions are 22 3/4" wide X 19" high X 22 1/4" deep. The tank has a usable front-to-back depth of 17.5"; a stock Nuvo 38 is only 14.5"; that extra 3" depth to the tank is really nice to have!

The sump is made from 1/2" acrylic; dims are 24" W x 15" H X 13" D.

I realize that this is a highly-unusual build and there will likely be questions asked by any prospective buyer - please post any questions here, or call me @ the number below. If anyone wants to come buy to see it all in person, just ask!

What's included:

- The tank
      - The sump
      - The skimmer (Warner Marine MF-121)
      - 6 filter socks, which are only about 4 months old
      - All plumbing
      - 7 feet of additional thick-wall silicone tubing (that stuff was EXPENSIVE!!!)
      - Two Little Fishies PhosBan Reactor 150
      - one good-sized piece of base rock (if wanted - I won't be using it in my new smaller tank)

What's NOT included:

- The Tunze return pumps - these will be listed separately, but will negotiate if the buyer of the tank is interested.
      - The Maxspect Gyres
      - pump for the TLF media reactor (the Sicce pump will be used in my new tank.
      - lighting
      - the Vertex glass cleaner seen in the FTS
      - any livestock
      - cabinetry (the current cabinet is built in to a nook in my living room)

There's one catch - I will be breaking down next Friday (June 26). A wet, dirty smelly tank & sump could be picked up Friday evening. If you want it cleaned, pick up will need to be Saturday afternoon/evening. Sorry - I can't be very flexible about this, as I have a really tight schedule to meet with a new out-of-town job starting on the 29th.

Asking $350

619-eight-six-one-7851
      Last edited by RussM; 06-19-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Unique custom IM Nuvo 38, custom sump, skimmer

Open to reasonable offers... I'd like to get this out of my garage this weekend.

- The tank
      - The sump
      - The skimmer (Warner Marine MF-121)
      - 6 filter socks, which are only about 4 months old
      - All plumbing
      - 7 feet of additional thick-wall silicone tubing (that stuff was EXPENSIVE!!!)
      - Two Little Fishies PhosBan Reactor 150
      - one good-sized piece of nice base rock (if wanted - I won't be using it in my new smaller tank)
      Last edited by RussM; 07-18-2015 at 12:03 PM.

jessegarcia28 is offline Registered User
      My status is: @work

I am:
      Sneaky

wow. great DIY
      glws

Thread Information