• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Had this little tank laying around

Leonard is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Had this little tank laying around

Thought i would give you reefers something to read.

Well i had to take down that 48 gallon long nano because i have no room with where i moved to. that is why am selling off stuff. I could not interest anyone to buy the corals for what i paid for and also some corals during tear down and transfer did not look to healthy. So i did not feel comfortable selling them. So in all my storage boxes i found this tank and a hang on filter so i set it up like i did with my others to see if I could make it work.

Some people frown on what i do for a sand bed. But it has worked and kept things alive and growing corals faster than using some of the more common ways.

I believe in deep sand beds. What I choose to do though is layer the sand bed. First I use refugium mud on the bottom like 2 - 2 1/2 inches deep.Then I use local beach sand, about a 1 inch to 1 1/2 on top. I then turn on pumps after putting things in the locations i like and watch to see where the sand is stirred up the most. Then I adjust the flow and pumps. I then place the very course "Caribbean sea crushed coral" in the areas where the sand stirred up the most.

About the local sand. Yes I get it knowing that the sand is filthy on the beaches. BUT i get a 5 gallon bucket and fill only a 1/4 of the bucket at a time with sand. I then wash it out with the hose on a heavy stream (on the grass) as I stir it with my hands continuously as it slowly over flows, and continue until it is clear. I then have a clear long bin that i pour it in to dry. The next day ill take a big strong magnet and wrap a white shirt (just one layer) over the magnet and run it through the sand until all the iron is no longer sticking to the magnet. Using the shirt makes it easier to keep the magnet clean as you sift and stir through the sand. You just turn it inside out as you pull it off the magnet and all the iron shakes off the shirt easily.

More pictures later and more coral placement after they start to become happy in their new home.

[IMG][/IMG]
      Last edited by Leonard; 06-05-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

not to sure where to post a discussion about opinions regarding new products. I am getting a deal on the New "AI prime led module" for this tank and was wondering if anyone had their opinions on the particular light ? Its has built in WiFi from what i read that allows you to adjust full color spectrum settings from phone or computer with other fetures. These only retail at 199.00.

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

Hi Leonard. Post this kinda stuff in Reef discussion or member tanks. Personally I love your work. It seems to be modified Berlin method really. There is a lot of new school confusion nowadays and all boys like chrome side pipes and horse power(I do) and those methods work too.
      Yours is actually a proven method. Keep updating.
      There is also an interesting read on reef to reef called "the 40 year old Reef tank". It tracks a hobbyist as times change and technology moves forward. Getting his water from the bay near his house. Bringing back live rock on the plane. All the things you "cant do"
      40 year old tank, I wonder how long the 70's Coors beer can has been in there.
      Last edited by crabbysd; 06-05-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Supermoto is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
      not to sure where to post a discussion about opinions regarding new products. I am getting a deal on the New "AI prime led module" for this tank and was wondering if anyone had their opinions on the particular light ? Its has built in WiFi from what i read that allows you to adjust full color spectrum settings from phone or computer with other fetures. These only retail at 199.00.
      I have been using the prime for a few months now. I love it. The app to control it from your phone is amazing.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by crabbysd View Post
      Hi Leonard. Post this kinda stuff in Reef discussion or member tanks. Personally I love your work. It seems to be modified Berlin method really. There is a lot of new school confusion nowadays and all boys like chrome side pipes and horse power(I do) and those methods work too.
      Yours is actually a proven method. Keep updating.
      There is also an interesting read on reef to reef called "the 40 year old Reef tank". It tracks a hobbyist as times change and technology moves forward. Getting his water from the bay near his house. Bringing back live rock on the plane. All the things you "cant do"
      40 year old tank, I wonder how long the 70's Coors beer can has been in there.
      Ok. will do. and thanks for the info. i enjoy reading so i am definitely going to check our "the 40 year old reef tank"

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoto View Post
      I have been using the prime for a few months now. I love it. The app to control it from your phone is amazing.
      Glad to hear. i was not to sure about it. mine should be here monday.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information