• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: SDR's TRUE O.G. ZOA'S & PALY'S I.D. GUIDE

naso tang is offline Registered User
      My status is: clueless

I am:
      Piratey

I still don't get what og really means. Somebody finds polyps in the sea. They get a chunk, name em and sell em. Who had the original sunny d? Do any of us know that?

Its like who had the original fruit loops? Those are coming in from the wild all the time...i guess it all has to do with rarity of the subspecies in the ocean?

Flaming mohicans i get. But i bet there has been more than one colony to come out of the water that bears the features of flaming mohicans...

Or, is there really just like 20-50 base subspecies in the ocean, and they morph as we culture them into these cool species that don't exist in the wild?

I think we are all treating "og" as if they are polyps that bear all the resemblance to a known subspecies and we all identify it as such. It would certainly be a cool job to genotype these suckers and study the genome diversity...

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

John just referring to the earliest forms of the zoa prior to morphing to the best of our knowledge I totally understand your point. But just trying to avoid people getting morphs labeling them as the older version

Continuation of that specific zoa is the goal
      Last edited by CMD2213; 06-02-2015 at 06:30 AM.

nanoreef1 is offline Registered User
      My status is: 83Reefs

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by naso tang View Post
      I still don't get what og really means. Somebody finds polyps in the sea. They get a chunk, name em and sell em. Who had the original sunny d? Do any of us know that?

Its like who had the original fruit loops? Those are coming in from the wild all the time...i guess it all has to do with rarity of the subspecies in the ocean?

Flaming mohicans i get. But i bet there has been more than one colony to come out of the water that bears the features of flaming mohicans...

Or, is there really just like 20-50 base subspecies in the ocean, and they morph as we culture them into these cool species that don't exist in the wild?

I think we are all treating "og" as if they are polyps that bear all the resemblance to a known subspecies and we all identify it as such. It would certainly be a cool job to genotype these suckers and study the genome diversity...
      Wow you have a point here. Very well explained no one really knows for sure. If you like it than buy it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

cutterx23 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      John just referring to the earliest forms of the zoa prior to morphing to the best of our knowledge I totally understand your point. But just trying to avoid people getting morphs labeling them as the older version

Continuation of that specific zoa is the goal
      Time out, if they morph off the "OG" then are they no longer the "OG" because they morphed? This thread doesn't make sense. You saw C post looking for what he called an "OG" species and now everything must have an "og"? ASD got in the original strats, then found another colony of them, does this make the second colony a non og while the first is OG? This doesn't make sense. Zoas are zoas. Most already have a thousand names, let's not make things even more confusing by now trying to add another moniker in front of a made up name.

naso tang is offline Registered User
      My status is: clueless

I am:
      Piratey

I still wish somebody would do some sequencing on these guys. That way you all can donate polyps to me and i'll tell you what it is genetically speaking...

nanoreef1 is offline Registered User
      My status is: 83Reefs

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by naso tang View Post
      I still wish somebody would do some sequencing on these guys. That way you all can donate polyps to me and i'll tell you what it is genetically speaking...
      Haha..I'll take some also.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Squid is offline Registered User
      My status is: Make like a cake

I am:
      Hungry

The point is to identify a zoa by what it was first known as so we don't rename old zoas. OG is just being used to describe originality, what that particular zoa was first called and looked like when it was "new"

cutterx23 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
      The point is to identify a zoa by what it was first known as so we don't rename old zoas. OG is just being used to describe originality, what that particular zoa was first called and looked like when it was "new"
      Problem with that is no one person or place names it. Here's what happens. Chunk of rock with new zoas is collected. Shipped off to wholesalers or transhippers, those people don't bother naming things, arrives at lfs or hobbyist or in most cases, and here is where the problem starts, multiple parties. Now when 3 different stores around the country all receive their chunk of these zoas and being that the invoice they received only says zoa colony and has no name, they then attach their own name. So now we have, in theory, 3 stores with 3 different names for the exact same zoa. Which one is OG? Which name is correct? What happens when the original collector ships of to multiple wholesalers, now multiply the number of names. What it would take is what john is saying, and each morph, variation of eac species would receive a scientific name as opposed to them all being referred to as zoanxethia or however it's spelt. This "OG" wording is a price hike inflator and we should be cautious of introducing this type of habit into the hobby. You want to go thru an "official" catalog to know zoa names, zoaid.com aka coralpedia.com already has logged this all in with pics and names. Identifying corals is not a perfect science due to the propensity for corals to morph, bleach, brown, or dull in our pseudo ocean environments. It's nice to have a name, but really what's in a name when what you name never stays the same.

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

@brett
      Very true and original that morphs is still original but many seek the zoa prior to morphing which is truly out of our hands. So my Intentions were to show pics of as early as known by our members to post the pics they know/knew of prior to morphing so when they seek or desire and older version they can go off of this.
      In all honesty the OG'S are probably morphs long before we ever started collecting any.

So for john and brett I agree there's no true OG/original out there but what we have labeled ourselves.
      I appreciate the input.

So i know it's difficult to title something original since in all reality no one has the first of each polyp to start from.

I buy any zoa I don't have morph or not even if it's a morph of something I have I collect every one I find (if I can afford it)
      Last edited by CMD2213; 06-02-2015 at 02:54 PM.

jessegarcia28 is offline Registered User
      My status is: @work

I am:
      Sneaky

Crazy colored Zoas deserve to have outrageous names.
      It's the new generation of this hobby.

It's called:

😂😂😂😂😂😃😃😃😃😂😂

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

dirt-nasty-510 is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Do you have a daylight pic?

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      Just comparing

Lumini Aqua System Gemis 120R1