• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camel cowfish looking horrible.....

Livinlocal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If you're near alpine, I have some you can use.

sneeze is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hand feeding is tough work. I use iv tubing and syringes. The hard part is weaning them off the tube if he makes a comeback. Tangs are notorious for needing this type treatment, as they have such a high metabolism. I've never tried or seen a box fish tube fed , but it would be worth a shot.

fkelchner is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

We tried talking to aquatic warehouse and they seem to be no help except to keep selling us more supplements. We asked if they would help us by hospitalizing him there to get him better and they "claimed" they had no hospital tanks....I doubt that but it is what it is....we bought 3 heni fish I believe is what they were called and the camel cow. Everything had died except for the cowfish. Everything else has been established for 2+ years before these recent additions. There were no problems in the tank prior to the additions and this is about 450 gal water volume....

Tigerpinoy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have bought any fish there in a while cus they keep dying. And there lying they have a qt tank.

sneeze is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

My general rule of thumb is to qt everything. Regardless of lfs reputation.

apax is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You know the tornback boxfish releases poison when they are stress or died.... but call vets pets and see if they can recommend something... they have alot of boxfishes....

STiky is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Cowfish/camel/box fish can be hit or miss. That's no ick. That's an injury. How much flow do you have in your tank?. Being poor swimmers they are susceptible to injury. They look armored but they are very delicate. His eyes are still looking good so that's a plus. You need to get him eating. Usually I don't treat any fish. It only weakens them more. I have had camel cows and box fish for years and years. His flesh is disintegrating. Most likely from being stuck to something like a powerhead or actually...an overflow. Probably got stuck/hurt in the night and you never noticed it. They CAN release toxins but that is 1 Ina a million. It's a horror story that CAN happen but most likely won't. They would have to be much bigger than that to do damage if they released the toxin. There is no quick fix to this. Most likely he's damaged beyond repair. But I have had a boxfish who got stuck to a powerhead recover. Getting him eating is the best bet and achieving that will be difficult. Try live adult brine. At least to get some strength up for now as they are not very nutritious. Sorry if I was a little repetitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquatic Warehouse is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Highest quality fish at the
      LOWEST prices!

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by fkelchner View Post
      We tried talking to aquatic warehouse and they seem to be no help except to keep selling us more supplements. We asked if they would help us by hospitalizing him there to get him better and they "claimed" they had no hospital tanks....I doubt that but it is what it is....we bought 3 heni fish I believe is what they were called and the camel cow. Everything had died except for the cowfish. Everything else has been established for 2+ years before these recent additions. There were no problems in the tank prior to the additions and this is about 450 gal water volume....
      The skin looks like ammonia burn with a secondary bacterial infections. It is hard to treat that, especially in such a small QT tank. Cowfish are sensitive animals and water quality can affect them poorly. Please reach out to Marc, he does all our animal husbandry. Please bring in a water sample from the main tank and the QT.

We should mention that we employ strict husbandry standards and have several hospital tanks for our livestock. Unfortunately due to the toxic nature of cowfish/boxfish we cannot accommodate it here.

Please call 858-467-9297 and ask for either Marc or Derek.

fkelchner is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatic Warehouse View Post
      The skin looks like ammonia burn with a secondary bacterial infections. It is hard to treat that, especially in such a small QT tank. Cowfish are sensitive animals and water quality can affect them poorly. Please reach out to Marc, he does all our animal husbandry. Please bring in a water sample from the main tank and the QT.

We should mention that we employ strict husbandry standards and have several hospital tanks for our livestock. Unfortunately due to the toxic nature of cowfish/boxfish we cannot accommodate it here.

Please call 858-467-9297 and ask for either Marc or Derek.
      I will bring by the samples but the qt sample probably won't look good since we came to the shop this morning to see the camel cow no longer alive....

Aquatic Warehouse is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Highest quality fish at the
      LOWEST prices!

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by fkelchner View Post
      I will bring by the samples but the qt sample probably won't look good since we came to the shop this morning to see the camel cow no longer alive....
      Sorry about the loss. You did keep in constant communication about the status on the cowfish. Please bring in a water sample from the DT and we will give you credit back on the cow. Ask for Marc or Derek.

- AW

sdnd is offline Registered User
      My status is: At Work

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatic Warehouse View Post
      Sorry about the loss. You did keep in constant communication about the status on the cowfish. Please bring in a water sample from the DT and we will give you credit back on the cow. Ask for Marc or Derek.

- AW
      Wow great customer service right there!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information