• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Laser for aiptasia removal

STiky is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Laser for aiptasia removal

We have all probably heard recently that lasers are the new latest and greatest thing for ridding our tanks of unwanted aiptasia. I am a long time laser builder(nerd) and have multiple lasers capable of death dealing to the pests. Currently I am in trials with a 1600mw (average laser pointer is <5mw) 445nm(blue) laser. In my experiment I am trying to figure out how long it takes to completely remove the aiptasia and if it is even half-way practical to destroy them in this manner. Melev's reef has documented the results and can be found on his website but I want to uncover if there are any hidden issues that he isn't telling us about. Obviously the potential for laser eye damage due to refraction off the glass is high, so laser eye protection is a must(these are not toys and CAN blind you in less than a second) My real reason behind this post is if I do find this effective, I may offer my laser building skills to the local area. I am unaware of the legality in his issue so I will do some research on the topic at hand. They are also not cheap. 1000mw lasers can go for $150-$500. But I would be able to offer them for less.l and still make a little something to sustain the operation and for my time. Wait Time is also fairly long as the parts are sourced overseas. But if there is a high interest I may order in bulk to save shipping time. This is just a feeler. It takes only a couple hours to construct one but weeks to receive the parts. Just gauging interest. If anyone is aware of the legalities involve please let me know. I don't want the 5-0 knocking on my door because someone thought they were Luke Skywalker and blinded themselves. Haha. Let me know guys if you have any interest or information. I will update with my finding in the experiment soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Nice I need one for work and the tank. But builds probably get pricey

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

They can. It all depends. The diode I'm using right now was under 50$. But then you need a driver, housing, aixiz module, heat sink, and a collimating lens. Don't forget eye protection, batteries and a charger. I'll have to source good dealers as overseas guys can be shady. For me, it's effective, and fun and you can say you have a laser.but I already had the laser On the other hand joes juice has been effective for many years. That's what the experiment is for. To weigh the benefits and determine if the investment is worth it. Ya know? Steep investment with long term payout? We shall see.

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

I just bought 3.. 1/2inch + nudibranch from MAX

jkennedy1007 is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Reefer

I am:
      Hungry

Not latest or greatest thing
      You have some more research to do.
      Hence search the site, I offer this service only as a last result for pest removal.
      I've have already run into legal & safety issues regarding to selling / distributing / and using in clients homes.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

What do you mean search the site? If you already offer the service then I don't want to impose. Didn't know if it had been done locally yet. It's working for me. And what do you suggest I should be researching.

FreshSaltH2o is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

There's always room for more aptasia lasers

etran1970 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Bubdy I am interesting, where can buy

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Results thus far are promising. Over a 2 day period 2 aiptasia have been completely eliminated and have yet to show themselves again. One more was treated this afternoon and we'll see what happens or if it even survives the initial treatment. I have a montipora that is quickly approaching my green birds nest. I am working on the area closest to the birds nest. In the picture you can see where I've treated the montipora. It may be enough to discourage the monti from growing hat direction, or the monti may just continue to grow as they are bulletproof. here's the
      BUT

As far as the legality of anyone being able to purchase a laser from me...it's not possible. If anyone knowingly sells a laser above 5mw it's a crime. I could however sell the kit and you could find your own diodes. Still researching but the last thing I want is a lawsuit or the police at my door lol. Here's the pic. The white patch at the top of the monti is where it was treated.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Laser for aiptasia removal

Further results show that the treatment of montipora with laser "therapy" has completely stopped the progressive growth towards the birds nest without detrimental long term effects to the monti as a whole. This is another benefit to the laser as you could just treat a hard to frag coral that is encroaching upon another. The monti would have been impossible to frag as it was encrusting up the rock instead of growing out. The laser effectively killed the zooanth as if it was in contact with another warring coral and it decided not to grow that direction. As far as the use on other more delicate coral, I haven't attempted yet but my guess is that it could be catastrophic to more delicate species.

All aiptasia are dead. No spores were released, no multiplication whatsoever. Initial thoughts suggested that laser therapy would induce a reproduction in the aiptasia but none were observed.

I had fun with this. As far as the practicality of it... That is up to you to determine. Initial investment is high but it sure is fun. Aptasia x or Joes juice are equally effective if not more. That pretty much sums up this episode of fish dork science theater. Any questions let me know. Or pm me. I can still talk laser specifics but due to it being illegal for me to sell them I will not be offering any to the local populous. I will help anyone who wants to build them for themselves though so don't hesitate to ask. Happy reefing guys!!

Last edited by STiky; 04-25-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Kirbuno is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      I just bought 3.. 1/2inch + nudibranch from MAX
      Looking for Berghia

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information