• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jebao DC-6000 failure.

cyclist is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Jebao DC-6000 failure.

Last night I got up to get some water and did not hear the skimmer running. (Between two MP40QDs and return pump, the Cons-1 skimmer is the loudest)

I had to pull it out and replace it with my back up pump which is the DC-9000.

When testing, the DC-6000 spins for a quick second and then shuts down. It's only 6 months old.

Would I be nuts to get another?

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

How old is it?

cutterx23 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I think for the price point the are tough to beat. That's just the unfortunate part, they have a higher rate of failure than we'd like, but hopefully you just got a bad egg and next one will run like it's supposed to.

Funkateer_1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by cyclist View Post
      Last night I got up to get some water and did not hear the skimmer running. (Between two MP40QDs and return pump, the Cons-1 skimmer is the loudest)

I had to pull it out and replace it with my back up pump which is the DC-9000.

When testing, the DC-6000 spins for a quick second and then shuts down. It's only 6 months old.

Would I be nuts to get another?
      Sounds like a typical Jebao pump. I have a box full of broken Jebao pumps. Try Waveline instead.

dannyboy760 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

There I was about to talk about how great jebao was and while I'm making dinner tonight my dc9000 completely fails.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I got mine for Christmas. What a joke

Sent from my SM-G900V

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

Hopefully it starts working again for you.
      My inner tinker is curious about those. Did or can you hook up the 24v(or is it 12V) directly to the pump? (controller weak link). And my observation is they should come with larger power supply's. In all of the dc I work with the first goto solution is to go with a much larger amperage supply.
      Before you throw it out I would take it and maybe find a useful hack for us all.

another obvious test..plug it in in an outlet as far away from your tank as possible.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

All lights come on from the power supply to the controller. I still have to take the top off of the motor just to see if it something with the impeller. I hope I can get a refund.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Mclovings is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Jebao returns are just crap. Mine worked for maybe 6 months before water leaked over to the dry side and shorted it. Switched to waveline and havent looked back.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

How long has your waveline lasted?

Sent from my SM-G900V

cutterx23 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

When I was setting up my tanks yesterday I was almost in this boat with you guys. Plugged the dc12,000 up waited a minute like usual for it to start going, but nothing happened. I figured I was dealing with the jebao normal dealings and pump was dead. Switched it out to another dc12000 and same thing, no action. I took the fitting off the first one to access the impeller, gave it a little nudge and whooosh pump clicks on and works just fine. They had been sitting for at least 2 months so I guess locked up a little but now works perfectly again. Same thing happened with one of the rw15's, the slave wouldn't spin, so I did the same trick, gave the impeller a few spins and just like magic it pops on, works perfect again. But caution these spin much harder and faster than koralia's so be careful with the fingers.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy760 View Post
      All lights come on from the power supply to the controller. I still have to take the top off of the motor just to see if it something with the impeller. I hope I can get a refund.

Sent from my SM-G900V
      Bummer. Pisser is that dc pumps will run on any voltage you give it. The motor is probaly 36v max at however many amps Min. The same motor you have is in the 12v pump at about half the gph. Your power supply will deliver 24 volts but only the the min amps . A motor will only use the amps it needs, it is not fixed. So a supply withh fixed amps will choke the motor. If you have a 24v supply that is larger, more amps, it will probably work. The same can be said of ac power in that if you plug your pump into a cheap power strip the small wires in the strip it will choke the pump too. In my biz we call that needing more copper behind it.
      same volts same theoretcal amps but not enought available.
      My guess is the supply they give you sucks. Motors usually dont just fail. So we tossem out.
      Second weak link is the controller. My 12year old builds those for her arduino class.

Tapio is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

I am old school and trust only Iwaki pumps for returns. Weaker pumps often fail to restart after power failure. Iwaki pumps last for well over 10 years. Replacement front volutes are available and changing those parts every 10 years will keep the pump going.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by crabbysd View Post
      Bummer. Pisser is that dc pumps will run on any voltage you give it. The motor is probaly 36v max at however many amps Min. The same motor you have is in the 12v pump at about half the gph. Your power supply will deliver 24 volts but only the the min amps . A motor will only use the amps it needs, it is not fixed. So a supply withh fixed amps will choke the motor. If you have a 24v supply that is larger, more amps, it will probably work. The same can be said of ac power in that if you plug your pump into a cheap power strip the small wires in the strip it will choke the pump too. In my biz we call that needing more copper behind it.
      same volts same theoretcal amps but not enought available.
      My guess is the supply they give you sucks. Motors usually dont just fail. So we tossem out.
      Second weak link is the controller. My 12year old builds those for her arduino class.
      So do you have a larger power supply, can you make one or do you know where I can get it tested?

Sent from my SM-G900V

I am:
      Geeky

Sadly no I dont have one on hand. First get a bucket and test it another room on a clean outlet. Check the wanted for a 24v supply. If that doens't work PM me and Ill poke it for a Pint of dark beer. I'm by SDSU if you commute. Ill be at scripps sometime this week for water.
      BTW
      Ive been shopping for DC Pumps. and these were my observations about whats out there, so I would not mind poking one in person.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information