• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Leds

kevint612 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Leds

Hey every body. I am trying to figure out this led stuf. I just upgraded my tank from a 29 gal to a 42 bow front. On my 29 i had the a 24" current usa led set up and it looked good but now on the 42 it dosent seam enough. I see alot of people using the cheep Chinese leds from ebay. Are they good, can i use one or do i need more for a 36" long tank. And is there a way to automate them like the leds i have now. i would love to get s ok me of the highend ones but my pocketbook wont alow it. I know t5s are a bit cheaper and provide lots of light but I dont think i can use t5 without having to get a chiller Any suggestions or advice would be good

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If the wallet is tight Chinese will grow corals just fine. One box should be ok for that tank, but it depends on how high it is mounted above the surface. Biggest piece of advice if you're going Chinese is get the ones that you can control the levels and not just on/off.

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Chinese ebay stuff is a gamble from the get go, some work ok but the bigger issue is when they fail, and most eventually do, good luck getting them repaired or replaced.
      There are some really nice LED's out there, some can be pricey, the Current or ecoxotic's are decent for the price and they have great customer service.
      Whatever you go w/ you should try to get something that is UL listed for marine use.

Redryder87 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I just bought 2 Mars Aqua fixtures from eBay for my new tank. 36 x 24 x 24. They are working great. Full spectrum dimmable. I am going to buy 4 timers (one for each white, one for each blue). Even if they crap out after a year they were only $80 each. They have great reviews and I run them about 50% power. Built in fans so it doesn't get hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I've only had them for about a week though.

kevint612 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Redryder87 View Post
      I just bought 2 Mars Aqua fixtures from eBay for my new tank. 36 x 24 x 24. They are working great. Full spectrum dimmable. I am going to buy 4 timers (one for each white, one for each blue). Even if they crap out after a year they were only $80 each. They have great reviews and I run them about 50% power. Built in fans so it doesn't get hot.

How dose one look on your tank. Is it fully lit or is 2 needed

Sancho is offline Registered User
      My status is: yo mama

I am:
      Piratey

The Chinese leds are just fine. Just like your Chinese iPhone. The Mars Aqua is just a rebranded Evergrow unit. Same with Reef Radiance, Reef Breeders and about half a dozen companies selling the same re branded light. There is nothing wrong with them and some of the us companies that sell them will actually warranty them. Reef Breeders will warranty and stand behind the light. You pay a bit more for the photon but if you have an issue with it they are US based and will actually help you.

As for your thinking that you would need a chiller with T5. Huh? who told you that? The only downside to the T5's is the bulbs lose spectrum and you need to change out bulbs once or twice a year. They dont run hot and are not as kind to the electric bill as LED. T5 will grow anything color is great. Downside not controllable, expensive bulb replacement and not as efficient as LED.

If your on a budget and need something that looks great and dimmable look into these. 2 par 38 would work on your tank till you can afford what you really want.
      http://coralcompulsion.com/coralcompulsion.com/led

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I needed 2. I think they make longer ones, but it was cheaper to just get two. One wasn't enough though.

STiky is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Reef breeders photon 24. Amazing!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information