• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow anemone splitting--?

goof89 is offline Registered User
      My status is: HANGING LOOSE

I am:
      Piratey

Rainbow anemone splitting--?

Hey you guys so I just got this beautiful anemone from a fellow reefer(framos) great guy, yesterday evening. Today I left home early in the morning came back and saw my anemone fully open.. way bigger than what I expected but perfect for my tank. I did notice that it had some sort of cut or slit on the edge of it. Hopefully someone recognizes this cut and can tell me more about it. Thanks in advance and for looking.

FDdragon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

My nem split today but it was behind a rock and i didnt see what it looked like right before it started to split.

I did notice that in the past few days it was opening really big, bigger than normal...which looked nice and i figured it was happy. Then it split.

This is the first nem split for me so not sure if what i said helps. But my ricordia has split twice and it totally looks like its being stretched and tearing....so if nems are anything like that then just watch it to see if it stretches.

On a bad note, my first nem had a tear (not sure where it cut itself) but the tear was getting bgger and the nem did not look good at all. Was looking half soggy and weak. So if yours looks healthy then just keep an eye on it.

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks for the info, mine is looking really big,healthy and eating very well. It does look like its stretching and hopefully its because its trying to split. I will be updating in a few days with pics.

Reef137 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

My rbta has a cut just like your. It stretch and healthy until today it decided to move to behind the rock, completely out of sight. This rbta in my tank since Jan 30.

cyn is offline Registered User
      My status is: accidental hobbyist.

I am:
      Geeky

i've no idea. but beautiful nem!
      keep us posted!

Jhuneke is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

If you begin to notice kind of a white line from the nic to the mouth, or if it begins to look pinched at that spot.. then I'd say you're "expecting"lol. Although one I have goes into split mode , only to heal completely and start over... done this 3 times now ;/

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Usually you will end up seeing two mouths right before it splits. Also, it isn't uncommon for the edge to be uneven like that.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

knightnsd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Probably not splitting, they will usually do some moving around, swell and deflate and normally they anchor in a way that allows them to slowly pull apart. You may see it crawl away from its normal spot and almost stretch like a bridge across the rock and it slowly pulls apart, I think from the mouth out rather than outside in if I recall when mine were splitting more often. The mouth will begin to look very large in proportion to the anem size as it nears splitting. After splitting it re-closes around the mouth, basically the anem splits into a straight line across the mouth, then recloses by circling around the mouth giving each a mouth. They often have edges like you mention above but I really do not think it has much to normally do with the splitting. The mouth and the behavior of the anem moving, swelling and deflating and pulling apart is a little more positive sign of them splitting. You can manually split it if you want with a clean razor cut across the mouth, short iodide dip and then return it to the tank if you are in a hurry for another anem.

And as Dave said, some times you will see two mouths in the anem, I posted a pic of that here long ago if I recall as I thought that was unusual in my tank as my anems have generally just pulled apart
      Last edited by knightnsd; 03-09-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Livinlocal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have had the same anemone split 3 times and everytime it splits, it inflates, deflates, and moves all around to the point where I think it looks like it's dying, then a few days later I will see two little nems.

Reef137 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Goof89, thanks for starting this topic. I am tagging along and learn great information. Thank everyone for sharing.

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by cyn View Post
      i've no idea. but beautiful nem!
      keep us posted!
      Thanks bro.

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks for all the info guys, learning great new stuff here. From what I am reading it looks like it might be trying to split. I do see the "cut" opening more and it began to show that white line form the edge to the mouth, and keeps folding like its trying to mark its path where it will split. My anemone is still looking great, about to feed it soon but looks like it my be splitting, if so ill try to catch the moment on cam and post it. Thanks again for your

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Cool! I've gotten a few pics .. But never start to finish . You may want to hold off on any feedings for now . It will cause Nem a lot of stress if it is splitting. Also, it's best not to feed them for s couple weeks until the two nems have completely healed and the mouth becomes somewhat centered again.. IMHO

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

knightnsd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Here is one of mine prior to split that I mentioned that formed 2 mouths, otherwise they seem to pull apart across their mouth, pic attached but the 2 mouths seems more rare in my tank so far

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Wow! That is cool never seen that before .. Had one start to split , then the baby never detached completely. Called it my Dueces BTA lol
      So.. Any update yet ?

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information