Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Here's some. Aquascape is progressing

seanmcknew is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Also so far so good on the leak test. It's not plumbed or anything im just checking my repair to the end panel.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So everything was good with the leak test. So i drained and moved it inside. I spent all day working on it. Sanded/Stained the canopy and doors. Placed rock work (epoxied in sections) put my dry sand in and filled it with Scripps 80% full though i had some more water but didn't. Pics coming.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm adding a little more live rock once I get plumbing done from 55 ill be breaking down. The back is going to have a removable panel (painted black) that way I can see behind my rockwork. It's gonna be hard to work on it for a couple weeks have to finish my other project (camping trailer) for my upcoming trip.....maybe I can do a bit of plumbing after work....
      Last edited by seanmcknew; 05-03-2015 at 08:46 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Oh yeah I also did electrical.... I ran four separate dedicated 15amp circuits to the tank as well as three to my 90. All gfci protected. Probably way overkill however no over loaded circuits and if one pops the whole tank doesn't shut down....
      Last edited by seanmcknew; 05-04-2015 at 05:46 AM.

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

Sweet. Is that all dry rock? And live sand. Might wanna get some powerheads in there. After you get all that other suff done.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It is all dry rock/dry sand. I have two power heads and 2 heaters in there right now. Gonna place a couple established live rock and some live sand in there tonight to start the cycle going. I am not even gonna think about adding live stock until June as I am too busy right now with other projects as well as work.

I am:
      Geeky

kinda a weird one for ya, but wait on the live rock/sand a week or so. Stupid difference between curing and cycling. aragonite is a ph buffer, so in saltwater it throws electrons around like crazy, as the outer pores of the grains/rock cure the electron exchange slows down. So putting anything Live into uncured aragonite is dropping it into a charged bath may kill it.
      I had a prob on my current tank in dec setting it up. Dry sand, old tank rinsed live sand, live sand full of good crap as seed, couple pieces of my old still live rock. week later rock had lightened, all parameters normal on tests inc PH.week after that put in more still live rock and a couple bacteria supplement. three weeks looked clean(too clean) in all parameters normal dropped in some snails n crabs. days later all dead snails some crabs survied. no bugs in rock and starting to fade.

Rookie mistake didnt cure sand. Most people dont notice this cuz they cure and cycle at the same time. took me weeks to figure out, got a clue from freshwater guys, aragonite sub-strait killing FW fish only on bottom dwellers thought.. What they did was cap it with another layer of sub-strait.(arag keeps buffering in fresh appearantly even after month I guess) I checked the science for days an im pretty sure that was the cause. Plus I did a deep sand bed so I had 40lbs of the dry sand in there.
      What I did was similar waited a week or 2 then put my last bit of sand seed down and capped it with live sand then put in more of my cycled rock.
      My 2 first big rocks had gone pretty sterile and I lost a a few little critters,my favorite hitchhikrs n little sponges etc. and unfortunately my 2 favorite conchs .

It sounds like your going a bit DSB and you have time to wait, I think ya should. The tank will begin its cycle anyway and in a couple of weeks adding your cycled rock and live sand will make the whole process go faster. and youll have a nice clean Layer of sand to add after you finish the rock.Like frosting on the cake.

BTW I also boosted my Bacteria with Fiji mud, smashed up bits of my old live rock and then capped it. Not real proof it works but my corraline is outta control from the start. and one of my sterilized rocks is now like a purple pineapple.

I am:
      Geeky

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by crabbysd View Post

Thanks crabbysd. Good read for sure. I'll probably give it a week or so.

I still need to build my overflow box and plumb everything up. Get a regulator for my calcium reactor, led lights.

seesquared is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Hey I think i recognize some of that rock! Tank and rock work is looking great! Keep it up!

oo0oscar0oo is offline Registered User
      My status is: addicted

I am:
      Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by seanmcknew View Post

I'm adding a little more live rock once I get plumbing done from 55 ill be breaking down. The back is going to have a removable panel (painted black) that way I can see behind my rockwork. It's gonna be hard to work on it for a couple weeks have to finish my other project (camping trailer) for my upcoming trip.....maybe I can do a bit of plumbing after work....
      looks beautiful man!

cHRoNzZe is offline Registered User
      My status is: NeVeR $$oBeR

I am:
      Sneaky

Looking good buddy can't wait till its full of life!!!

One thing...does the rock on the left side ont he very end,is it being held up by the tonga branch?? I would be careful,in a earthquake or a hard bump (from a drunken friend) it can really come down and smash your glass don't rely on glue,epoxy or anything else that MAY hold it....... Again the tank looks amazing if you need any help bud let me know.....

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by seesquared View Post
      Hey I think i recognize some of that rock! Tank and rock work is looking great! Keep it up!

Thanks for the rock again... Awesome pieces it was hard to choose which pieces to put where.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by cHRoNzZe View Post
      Looking good buddy can't wait till its full of life!!!

One thing...does the rock on the left side ont he very end,is it being held up by the tonga branch?? I would be careful,in a earthquake or a hard bump (from a drunken friend) it can really come down and smash your glass don't rely on glue,epoxy or anything else that MAY hold it....... Again the tank looks amazing if you need any help bud let me know.....

That piece is about 50 lbs epoxied together I held it by that piece for a long time as I was worried about that too. I will probably add another rock to trap it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information