• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Archon is now shipping

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Archon is now shipping

Well, the Archon controller from Digital Aquatics is now shipping. Here are a few screenshots from my unit:

This is the standard Home page. You can select which inputs and outputs you want displayed here.

This is the Inputs page. To adjust or calibrate an input, you just click on the little gear and the input fields that pertain to that probe appear on the right side.

This is the Outputs page. Just like the Inputs page, you click on the little gear to bring up the input fields for that channel. Here is where you program channels to be a Light, Pump, Switch, etc. You also input parameters such as times, triggers, etc. It is quite simple.

This is the Graphs page. You click on whichever parameter you want to graph to see it in the window. For those of you familiar with the graphing on the RKE (before it was dropped) or in myReef you would agree that this is a night and day difference. Every parameter is graphed. You click here to view the graph you want to see.

This is the System page. Here is where you can see software versions and will be notified of any updates. Also, the time of day, timer, alarm, night mode, etc. are all set here.

The Archon base unit by itself sells for $399. I believe it comes with a temp probe as well. There is no display on it. You access it using any device that is web enabled such as a computer (Windows or Mac), a phone (IOS or Android), tablet, etc. It is compatible with all of the current DA modules with the exception of the head units, both RKE and RKL, and the NET module. The NET module is unnecessary with the Archon. CAT5 and WiFi networking is built in. So even if you live in the dark ages and don't have a home network, you can still access your Archon using any device with WiFi. The RKE and RKL head units will eventually be re-purposed to use as display units with limited functionality much like the RD-1 is now. The NET will be re-purposed to act as a remote connection to another tank. DA also has plans to make a module that will connect to the Archon base wirelessly so that if you had two tanks on opposite sides of the house or positioned in a way where running wire between them would be too hard, you will still be able to have them connected.

The Archon is currently shipping and sells as just the Archon base as well as a full system that comes with the new PB4 power strips. The PB4 is an improvement on the PC4. They are basically the same, but the enclosure is all metal, it provides more power to the bus, does not have any issue with low current pumps, and several other inside improvements. If you are looking for a controller or you already have a Digital Aquatics system, the Archon is a massive move forward and is packed with features and is very powerful. Let me know if you have any questions on it.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Great write up Dave, thanks for the deets!

MustangBill is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

*SIGH* all this cool stuff AFTER I decide to call it quits
      125 gallon Cube
      RKE with 2 PC4's
      50 Gallon Sump
      25 Gallon Fuge
      Full Spectrum LED lighting

Classic Mustang Freak

I am:
      Tired

The latest update has added a page to display your webcam image. One of the beta testers has also added some code to his system that sends him a tweet for certain alarms. Since the programming on the Archon is partially open source, it is easy for people with programming experience to add features to their system. I say "partially" because the real meat and potatoes of the Archon system can not be messed with. This will prevent you from doing anything that would compromise the critical components of the system programming. It is coming along nicely.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

DiverDave is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Looks like I need to deploy again...BUT how awesome to be able to see/control the system while away! That's worth it just in, "Honey, you don't need to touch the tank." points!

DiverDave is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

So when you mention the head units of the RKL/RKE being 'repurposed', I would LOVE to see what the RKL currently doesn't have now... Have the ability to choose one parameter to display, OR have the option to scroll or rotate through some/all of the parameters. I hate that I can only see one at a time and have to manually select which parameter I'm looking at. A 2-3 second rotation through pH1/pH2/Temp/ etc. Then if I want to work with one of the parameters, let me pause it. I don't have a computer near my tank, and God knows how long it would be until I eventually place my iPhone in a vicarious position and it falls into the sump! One big vote for ROTATING PARAMETERS please.

I am:
      Tired

I think you misunderstood me. The RKL and RKE head units will actually have much less capabilities in this case. The idea being that they will only be a quick way to get into a standby or glance at a parameter. I'm not sure that they will do a whole lot with them other than that simply because if you wanted to look at different parameters it would be simple to do it with your phone. We'll see what they do.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Tapio is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Dave, good information I also looked at DA website for info.

I had a second water leak happening to the bottom of my stand today when a pump started to leak. Luckily I have built the stand with edges at the bottom so that a water leak of almost 1 cm deep is captured in the stand, as it it finished with marine grade paints and seem water proof.

This prompted me to start thinking about a system that can email or text me if there is a leak like this. I currently only have the RKL and it is doing all the rest I want, only temp control and light control.

I assume the Archon system could do this for me. I don't have wired internet connection by the tanks but it is wireles so....

Could you point to what kind of package I would need to purchase to monitor and control temp and lights. Also would like audible alarm and text or email alert if temp, power outage or leak is detected. I am looking to spend as little as possible

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information