• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Clowns hosting corals?

D_moran13 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Clowns hosting corals?

Hey guys. My dad and I have been debating about what we should get next in our 110 gallon reef tank. So far we have 4 corals: Branching GSP, a Yuma mushroom, some other mushroom and a 2 inch anenome Ive had in my nano tank but moved it to the big one. We were thinking about getting a pair of clowns but we don't know how to get them to host a coral since we want a Hammer coral or Bubble coral. Any help on how to make them host?

seanmcknew is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It kind of depends upon the type of clown I do believe as to what they would prefer to host. However with that being said that doesn't mean they won't host something else in your tank. I have 2 pair of clowns a true percula and a Picasso (color variation of a percula) my Picasso hosts my mag float while my perc. Host a rbta. My other pair (Darwin misbar and a Maine mocha) do not host my nem or even the frogspawn. I have heard of people semi forcing a host by putting the coral in a small container with the clown/s as sort of an introduction. My perc. Just hosted by itself.

Sancho is offline Premium Member
      My status is: yo mama

I am:
      Piratey

Give them time. Wild caught clowns tend to host nems easier than tank raised. My wild caught Tomato went straight to the GBTA the male was tank raised and hosted the output plumbing in the tank for almost a year. They eventually paired up and now they wont leave the nem unless its food time or I introduce something new to the tank that they feel the need to harass and bully. My ocellaris has hosted a big blue mushroom for months now. Just yesterday I noticed it is now hosting the gbta. Do some research some clowns prefer different nems. Best thing to do is Find a mated pair with nem and buy them all at the same time.

klyeorkyle is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm by no means an expert and this is how my clowns hosted. I moved my rocks and my anemone didn't like his new spot in the tank. He moved from one rock to another and climbed his way to the top of the tank. I mean the VERY TOP! He's been chillin at the surface of the water on the back wall for about 2 weeks. My clown sleeps at the surface so he got interested swimming by it and then loved hosting. The other clown saw this and 3 days later they both hosted! :-)
      Before they hosted I had the anemone for 6 month and the clowns had no interest in him.

sdnd is offline Registered User
      My status is: At Work

I am:
      Tired

get a pet carrier or basket and throw them in together...they will learn to host this way...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information