• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: 125g Peninsula Build - It Finally Begins!

TaxGuru44 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

125g Peninsula Build - It Finally Begins!

Leemar tank, stand and canopy currently being mostly installed by Chris @ Lotsafishies. Planning to run a mixed reef with as many tangs as this size system will allow.

Still debating on what type of LED lighting and flow to be installed, but leaning towards a gyre or wireless jebao. For lighting I am thinking two Photons by Reefbreeders..

Tank

Canopy

Chris hard @ work..

hoping for more pics later..

spidernano is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Get the gyre it would work perfect
      For peninsula tanks

Tapio is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

I used to have a 300 gal peninsula and there is always the problem with hiding the wires and pumps on the non sump end. I ran the wires from the suspended hood, but pumps will certainly be visible and I think necessary on both ends. Did not really bother me though. With time most people including yourself will just watch the life not the pumps.
      I have 4 tangs in my 6 ft tank and planning to add a fifth soon, see how that goes. Add them at the same time if possible, then you could possibly push for even more tangs (the smaller ones), but hard to quarantine that many simultaneously.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah I had the same concern here (wires) when I first contemplated a peninsula. Luckily, we were able to plumb a 2'' pvc down the overflow that will encompass all of the wires (1 wavemaker pump, 2 from lights) down the overflow and underneath the tank to a mounted DJ power outlet.

Great to hear you have 4 and soon to be 5 tangs...I was shooting for a pair of yellows, a blue...and a purple down the road.

Tapio is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by TaxGuru44 View Post
      Great to hear you have 4 and soon to be 5 tangs...I was shooting for a pair of yellows, a blue...and a purple down the road.
      Here's my 2 cents on lots of tangs in that space. I currently have yellow, clown, tomini and blue hippo (Paracanthurus hepatus). They are all fine together. At this point I would not add purple e.g. since they are both of genus Zebrasoma and likely fight one to death. I am planning to add a powder blue which is a very aggressive tang (the fish is in quarantine now) but is an Acanthurus sp. It is also smaller than the yellow so I am a bit worried about the intro.

I have kept these together in the past fine with a little tail wiggling of course. I think that because they are of different genus there is a better chance of them getting along. When I add the powder blue I am going to put him in an egg crate box so that all the fish will get used to each other. If there is a lot of aggression after say 2 weeks there is no point of adding the poor powder blue into it's death, if not it will be released.

Another example why I believe genus plays some role, is the aggressive powder brown and blue of genus Acanthurus that will barely get together in a 300 gal, I did that for a while. Try in a smaller tank, not good. If they are small fish introduced at the same time it is likely to work.
      Last edited by Tapio; 11-25-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

tank is starting to clear and so i started addressing more of the details today of power, cord management, etc..

still cloudy..but getting there.

little bit of make-shiftivity..but got the G2 purring nicely

I've seen a handful of these DJ power strips used in systems and have ALWAYS wanted to copy...finally..

latest clarity status.

Next on the list is to run some mini hangers under the tank to run the power cords coming out of the overflow..across the stand to the DJ power strip.

Has anyone used or been by a tank that had dynamat installed? Was it worthwhile? I have it in my truck for the stereo and it works nicely. However, unlike a fairly sealed car, stands and canopies have gaps in the doors/cabinetry, so I'm curious if it makes a noticeable difference. Any/all thoughts are welcome.

Still regret not doing a bit more ahead of time planning.. but overall I'm content. Hope you enjoyed! more to come..

cyclist is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Looking good!

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Looking good Alex! Thanks for letting me a part of the process!

unbereefable is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Looking good!

jason142 is offline SDR Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Love the asm skimmers. I highly recommend getting the gagate valve mod, I added one to my G-4 and one of the best decisions I have made. Here is the link
      http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/in...emart&Itemid=2

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information