• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reef A Palooza

Sancho is offline Premium Member
      My status is: yo mama

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by edluva View Post
      That's just silly. We are not nerds. Now where did I put my Nemo costume and orange facepaint?
      Beer just came out my nose after reading this post. LOL

jasonp87 is offline SDR Moderator/Ninja
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

Quote Originally Posted by spidernano View Post
      My girl thinks I'm a nerd for driving to a convention lol
      My wife normally sees I'm not as bad as some others
      -Jason
      SDReefs Moderator

55 Gallon Corner Build
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...5-Corner-Build

(OLD) Mr. Aqua 25 Gallon Cube Reef
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...-cube&p=832284

(OLD) 10 Gallon Reef w/ 10 Gallon Sump/Fuge
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...lon-reef-build

I am:
      Piratey

bbandu is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      My status is: .

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I got here today around 11 am. I will be working in the Euroquatics booth, stop by and say hi.
      SDMAS was supposed to have a booth but not enough staffers available to man the booth.
      Here is the booth I will be in.
      Its all about MTS
      Larry

150g, 60 gal sump, G3 Protein Skimmer, 2 Koralia Evo 1400's,2 Koralia Evo 750's, 20g ATO, 3 - 120w LarryM Led's configured 35 - 16000K, 28 - 14000K, 28 453nm blue and 28, 468nm blue.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75141

60g cube, 20g sump, Bubble Magus curve 5 skimmer with 2 mp10's and 120w led.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...00-60g-upgrade

spidernano is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Buying frags tomorrow what should I bring to hold them?

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Anyone going SUNDAY?

zerojustin88 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

ill be there sunday!

hydrahawk is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm in LB for the weekend so I will swing by tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by spidernano View Post
      Buying frags tomorrow what should I bring to hold them?
      a styrofoam box.

jada1 is offline SDMAS STAFF
      My status is: chill

I am:
      Crazy

I am in OC already Gonna go tomorrow need to go to horror nights first...I will be making a video of RAP tomorrow instead to broke to buy anything lol
      My build in progress
      125gallon Leemar rimless 48x30x20 starphire, 48 Ati Hybrid, Ghl /Apex dos, powered by an Apex, ecotech, tunze for flow,
      Custom sump made by me.
      http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...ew-Beginning.-.

edluva is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

My thoughts on attending my first RAP.

First of all, my congrats go to SCMAS for hosting an awesome event. An event this size takes a lot of coordination and from what it looked like on Day 1, everything seemed to go well. The place was full.

Admission was $15. No discount for SDMAS members and no copies/printouts of the $5 coupon. I could never track one down in any San Diego stores. Parking was $7 so find a carpool. If you are using navigation, just a reminder to turn off the toll road options if you don’t want to pay. My iphone kept wanting me to take the 73 toll road.

Get there early if you are looking for livestock. Selection was a bit sparse late into the afternoon. Bring a cooler for the frags and fish. There were plenty of folks lugging around the coolers on wheels or carrying the mini igloo coolers. A frag rack might help for carrying alot of frags. I think there was someone here on the boards selling racks. Sounded like a good deal.

If you are looking to buy equipment, stay late on Sunday. Was talking to some vendors and they indicated deals can be made for the larger purchases. They are tired by the end of the weekend and they don’t want to pack things up.

Definitely try to check out the speakers. Check out new equipment that’s coming to the market. Make sure to stop by Rod’s food for a free frozen sample on your way out. Chat with fellow reefers and have fun.

I’m just starting out in the hobby but from my perspective, I think we are lucky to be in the San Diego area. From what I could tell, the selection and prices were comparable to what we get here, either from our members on this forum or from our local fish stores. Still worth going out for the experience.

Now on to MAX 2015.

E

gus6464 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Anyone get a clam? For $90 I thought the price was pretty good IMO.

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by edluva View Post
      My thoughts on attending my first RAP.

First of all, my congrats go to SCMAS for hosting an awesome event. An event this size takes a lot of coordination and from what it looked like on Day 1, everything seemed to go well. The place was full.

Admission was $15. No discount for SDMAS members and no copies/printouts of the $5 coupon. I could never track one down in any San Diego stores. Parking was $7 so find a carpool. If you are using navigation, just a reminder to turn off the toll road options if you don’t want to pay. My iphone kept wanting me to take the 73 toll road.

Get there early if you are looking for livestock. Selection was a bit sparse late into the afternoon. Bring a cooler for the frags and fish. There were plenty of folks lugging around the coolers on wheels or carrying the mini igloo coolers. A frag rack might help for carrying alot of frags. I think there was someone here on the boards selling racks. Sounded like a good deal.

If you are looking to buy equipment, stay late on Sunday. Was talking to some vendors and they indicated deals can be made for the larger purchases. They are tired by the end of the weekend and they don’t want to pack things up.

Definitely try to check out the speakers. Check out new equipment that’s coming to the market. Make sure to stop by Rod’s food for a free frozen sample on your way out. Chat with fellow reefers and have fun.

I’m just starting out in the hobby but from my perspective, I think we are lucky to be in the San Diego area. From what I could tell, the selection and prices were comparable to what we get here, either from our members on this forum or from our local fish stores. Still worth going out for the experience.

Now on to MAX 2015.

E
      Agreed with everything you stated. If you want bargains wait till Sunday late. The last thing they want to do is take it back to their stores. Good show decent prices. I was hoping some more venders would have stuff for sale at discounted show prices. I was disappointed that SDReefs or SDMAS had no booth. Lack of staff to man the booth? I enjoyed it the speakers were great. I won nothing at the raffle. but it was a good day. Overpriced beer, good speakers, nice selection of corals from all over So Cal cant complain...SDreefs staff I would have volunteered my time to man a SDreefs of SDMAS booth as I am sure many others here would.
      Last edited by Sancho; 10-25-2014 at 08:46 PM.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
      ...SDreefs staff I would have volunteered my time to man a SDreefs of SDMAS booth as I am sure many others here would.
      Manning the SDMAS booth is more involved than it sounds, but hopefully in the future we will have something in place to set it up so that lots of people can do it. We also have to coordinate packing up all of the stuff like the booth pop up, banners, shirts, etc. We'll try to get that set up for next time.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Sdboltsfan21 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I went yesterday for almost 6 hours.....thinking of going back today....bought a new SC aquariums W/protein skimmer all in one for $130......Pretty cheap they had a truck right outside and just drove up and left....Bought a clam from clam mania, this place is off the hook, also bought another clam for $20 at another place....Good deals you just have to look for them, there are places that are giving good prices on equipment....I'm thinking of going back up today, my wallet took a beating but just so much to purchase it was like going to MAX on steroids.

d-man is offline Registered User
      My status is: Just snorkeling in my tank

I am:
      Amused

Few tips for next year that I've learned in the past
      Park at the free swap meet area and walk the 5mins. Extra spending cash.
      Sat is for the LE and top notch stuff, sun for bargains
      Always bargain with them most of time you will get a better deal just by asking for one. If not, I'm sure you'll find similar piece at another both.

I went today and got some nice acans and zoas for really cheap. Talk with the hobbyists and vendors and they will remember you next time. Always helps.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information