• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: new fish

PD Monkey is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

new fish

I've read a bunch of different ideas on how to handle new fish. With fresh water, I would just let the bag sit in the water for 15 minutes. I've read about drip acclamation, fresh water dip or quarantine.

I understand the drip acclamation method.

How does the fresh water dip work?

What about the quarantine? Does the fish just sit in his own tank for a while? What are you looking for?

The tank is new and has been cycling for 2+ weeks. All the parameters are looking good. We are going to let it run for another week and keep checking levels. So in the next couple of weeks, we might be ready for a shrimp or small fish to get the party started.

jasonp87 is offline SDR Moderator/Ninja
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

Quarantine usually lasts around 4-6 weeks. The fish is isolated in a separate tank so as not to add any parasites like ich to the display tank. Basically while in qt you watch to make sure the fish is eating and treat for any illness if one arises. It is much better to use medication in a qt tank since most will harm stuff in your display. It is also easier to observe and catch the fish in the qt instead of tearing the display apart going after 1 fish if it needs to be medicated. Also, if the fish does die, it will do it in the qt instead of behind the rocks in the display where it could rot creating an ammonia spike which would harm the whole tank.
      -Jason
      SDReefs Moderator

55 Gallon Corner Build
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...5-Corner-Build

(OLD) Mr. Aqua 25 Gallon Cube Reef
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...-cube&p=832284

(OLD) 10 Gallon Reef w/ 10 Gallon Sump/Fuge
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...lon-reef-build

purdy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm guilty of not using a QT system. I have had Ich and Velvet in my tank and all my fish showed signs. Luckily they were all healthy enough to fight the Ich off on there own. For the velvet I just did a half dose of copper and that did the trick. My point behind all that is you can live on the edge and not quarantine or you could, your choice. As for acclimating to whatever tank, display or QT, as you know you can drip or float. I usually drip but I did get another tang the other day and I was in a bit of a rush so I floated him for a few minutes and then set him free. He did great, looked as if he was raised in the tank. Also I think floating him provided an opportunity for the other fish to check him out and it seemed to help when he was free by the usual initial bullying not occurring. I don't know if it's because he was floated in the bag or my fish just don't care anymore. I drip because the way I see floating, in my mind would be the same as me kidnapping you, flying you to Alaska and dropping you off. Sure you might survive but wouldn't it be nice if I gave you adequate time and supplies to adjust to the new environment?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks! I see the benefit of the QT. That makes a lot of since. But I am so impatient. I want to see the fish right away, cycle to happen fast, things to grow overnight . Funny part (I'm learning) is patience is the KEY to saltwater.

Can someone explain the fresh water drip. I understand the theory. Do you have a small fresh water tank going and drop the fish in there? Do you put them in the sink and rinse them off (exaggerating)? How long can a fish/invertebrate stay in fresh water?

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by purdy View Post
      I have had Ich and Velvet in my tank and all my fish showed signs. Luckily they were all healthy enough to fight the Ich off on there own. For the velvet I just did a half dose of copper and that did the trick.
      Eric you added copper to your display tank?

jt_milstead is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: Tired of being let down by the
      Chargers

I am:
      Crying

By not QTing for 6 to 8 weeks you take the chance of losing every fish you have.

Here's a read on Marine Ich.
      http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php
      J.T. Milstead
      "Play Today, Build Tomorrow, And Pray For The Rest"

seanmcknew is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I learned a hard lesson about qting. I lost a couple fish (ich) and then qted the remaining fish for 8 weeks (long time to have an empty tank when your used to having them to look at). I qt every fish now for at least 6 weeks. I run Coppermine. Its less harsh on the fish and still effective.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I did add copper to my display tank. Majority of my fish had signs, seeing up a QT was no option.

The fresh water drip is believed to rid your fish of parasites. They say that the pressure in fresh water is too high a kills the parasites.

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by purdy View Post
      I did add copper to my display tank. Majority of my fish had signs, seeing up a QT was no option.

The fresh water drip is believed to rid your fish of parasites. They say that the pressure in fresh water is too high a kills the parasites.
      Just research copper affects prior to introducing corals/inverts.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

FOWLR. And I did such a low side that all my hermit crabs are still alive. The only thing that dies was the Velvet. Even a tiny frag of GSP I have stayed alive. I tried other treatments and after losing three fish I gave in and used copper. Plenty of water changes and carbon running in two reactors later and everything is great.

I am:
      Tired

Yea there are pads you can use to absorb the copper but I know its fowlr "for now" lol
      Send me tank shot sometime love to see that mini ocean packed with awesome fish

SmilinAvnger is offline Registered User
      My status is: Waiting for 5PM

I am:
      Friendly

Fresh water dip...

Never done it myself, but have read up on it.

Generally you want to match temperature and Ph. of your display tank water.

Put an airstone in the water.(not sure how necessary this step is as the fish is usually only in there for a few minutes)

Put the fish in the water and let in sit in there for a few minutes.

Watch the fish and put it back in the regular tank if you see it having trouble breathing.

The dip kills most parasites that may be on your fish.

You can do this with some corals too.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like QT is the way to go. Especially if you have a lot of money wrapped up in your tank. Right now everything will be new in our tank, so it's the QT.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information