• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank maintenence checklist

PD Monkey is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Tank maintenence checklist

I am starting a new 110 gallon reef tank with sump(I'll post more tank info in another thread). The tank is a joint effort with my 12 year old son. He is supposed to be in charge of maintenance, but anyone with kids knows how this is going to turn out. lol. I don't know anything about saltwater tanks. I'm reading and asking questions. I want to make a spread sheet with all the maintenance/parameters. Then he can fill out the sheet daily/weekly/monthly. We will have a nice log of tank parameters and I will also be able to see if he is doing all the maintenance. I only know of a few items and I'm hoping the experts here will chime in.

Example:

Water level - Weekly
      Water temp - Weekly (75-80)
      Last water change - date
      salinity - weekly (1.025)
      Nitrates - ???
      Ammonia -??? (0-.1)
      Nitrite - ??? (0-
      Ph - ?? (8-8.4)

What are other good items to add to the list??

Also, what are the acceptable ranges for each of these?

Thanks.

PD Monkey is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I used the "search" button and found a lot of good info, including a spreadsheet. Time to get to testing!

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

If he does anything in regards to touching certain corals while/during cleaning, reorganization (example palys/zoas) read up on safety of cleanliness after handing such corals research palytoxin and find out what is safe or a safe way to handle them. Congrats on the family tank and good luck. Ask away if ever any questions if you've been on this site before or new you will know or get to know everyone here wants to help in any way possible.

acbaldwin is offline Registered User
      My status is: butt stuff

I am:
      Enraged

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      If he does anything in regards to touching certain corals while/during cleaning, reorganization (example palys/zoas) read up on safety of cleanliness after handing such corals research palytoxin and find out what is safe or a safe way to handle them. Congrats on the family tank and good luck. Ask away if ever any questions if you've been on this site before or new you will know or get to know everyone here wants to help in any way possible.
      Great point. Plenty of stories of working with Palys/Zoas and then losing their vision, swelling, etc., and of course that very sad thread with the guy's dog.

I'd do parameter test weekly
      temp check twice a day for the first month or so (so you get an idea of the temp swings and what's needed to combat them in your tank)
      detritus cleaning once a month
      check the skimmer daily and empty as needed
      vinegar bath for pumps/powerheads every 3-6 months (depending on calcium levels)
      clean impellers and grates on return and skimmer pumps monthly (chaeto/etc. gets caught up in them)
      clean glass weekly (or up to three times a week, depending on algae growth - probably daily for the first couple months)
      light wipe down of tank/stand weekly to prevent salt buildup

Once you complete cycle Nitrate and Ammonia should be 0 and stay that way. Nitrates can vary significantly depending on tank type (SPS, dirty macro, etc.) but should be stable. Some people aim for 0ppm Nitrate, some people want 2ppm, some people (like me) keep it closer to 8-10ppm, it all depends on the style of tank and your goals (and of course your personal experience with how *your* tank reacts to it). Under 10 is a good place IMO, but some people are fine with 20+. Algae in your tank is a big concern and you'll find many of the parameter adjustments you make are solely to combat undesirable algae growth.

IIRC specific gravity should be 1.024-1.028, with stability being more important than the exact level.
      Same goes with pH.

purdy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I can't wait for my son to be old enough to want/care for his own tank.

I would check water level daily depending on your setup. In my second sump, the chamber where my return pump is only has a 2.5 gallon capacity. I have 1 gallon of evaporation a day so I check mine daily. If I used an auto top off I wouldn't check it ever I'm sure, and for that as well has me being extremely paranoid about a leak under the tank is why I don't have a auto top off. Also I would add a tank inspection to the sheet. Especially if you have a glass tank. Once a week I would inspect all the joining surfaces for abnormalities.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information