• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: New tank questions

PD Monkey is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

New tank questions

Hi guys, My son and I just started a 110 gallon tank (first saltwater tank) with 40 gallon sump (20 gallons water). We added around 100lbs of live sand and live 100lbs live rock. It's been up and running for 1.5 weeks. We have been checking the parameters and things are starting to get in shape. It is amazing all the little "things" that have hitchhiked into the tank. Well with the exception of some aiptasia popping up (and I think a piece of ......ahhh, I can't think of the name.....Mahjo??, no....well another nuisance anemone). I know the aiptasia is a well beaten over topic. I have read about multiple ways to "kill" it. But at this point, they are small and hard to find.

Should I be worried about trying to kill them all now, before they get out of control?

Do I wait for them to get bigger and easier to target?

Could I get a shrimp and him have a feast? Well, not enough for a feast, maybe a small buffet. I'm not sure if the tank has been cycling enough to the shrimp to live??

acbaldwin is offline Registered User
      My status is: butt stuff

I am:
      Enraged

Welcome! The other type of anemone you're thinking of is Mojano. My favorite method of killing aiptasia is peppermint shrimp, but your tank is too young. Throw a few in once your tank cycles, probably three or four weeks from now. The pests shouldn't get out of control between now and then.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information