• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My 400g build

KorL is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So you tried it out? But everything works fine when you're eye balling it. It's when you're out of the house when crap hits the fan.

Looks like there's a bit of room in front of the skimmer sump. Maybe add a bulkhead on the front panel and elbow into the larger sump?

sdnd is offline Registered User
      My status is: At Work

I am:
      Tired

Loving all the feedback!! Yea I think I should rethink this and have an emergency plan just in case the skimmer pump goes out.

Anyone here can help me drill some holes? Or what do I need? I've never drilled a tank before. Both are acrylic. TIA!

diegoluv is offline Registered User
      My status is: Relaxed

I am:
      Cool

Most people give good advice on here. Most people have had to learn the hard way so if you hear someone give you "Strong Advice," it's usually for good reason.
      Since you have acrylic, you wont have a hard time getting them drilled. Here is a quick tutorial with dos and donts that should get you going pretty quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uao-sinxbBs

Just drill both tanks at the same spot and put in at least a 1 inch bulkhead with 1 inch PVC coupling them together or a QD if you want it to be modular. It might even be smart, since you're drilling them anyways, to put two 1 inch holes in case one happens to get blocked by algae, filter sock, live rock or anything like that.

I am:
      Tired

Yea definitely going to get some bulk heads and get this plan done soon since already have water in the tank.

Since it's going to be raining soon think I might have to put off filling it till this coming weekend and get the sump figured out.

I guess I need to think of more what ifs and worst case scenarios.

KorL is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If you need help drilling, I can help you out. It's pretty easy to do.

I am:
      Tired

So Karl was nice enough to drop by this morning to help me drill my sump. Decided going 1.5" and connect them together. So I want to keep them connected as closely as possible due to space.

This was how I was planning to connect it. Bulk head through both sump. But added an additional rubber seal in between the sump on the outside of the second sump. I used two screw nuts. One nut to seal the first sump then another in the second sump.

What are your opinions. I had another idea that would work too with double bulk heads and a screw connect. I tried to use a union but it was just too big.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome. Will finish up the drain lines once I settle this sump issue and I'm ready to finish filling up!

unbereefable is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

The nut is not meant so keep water in. Even with a gasket. That's what the flange side of the bulkhead it for. The nut is to make sure the flange tightens up and compresses the gasket. It might not leak at first, but I would NOT trust it long term. I would get 2 bulkheads and mount them backwards, so the nut is on the inside of the tank. Glue a piece of pvc to both openings. The pvc can be as little as one inch long. I like to make sure all my glue joints have an overlap of 1/2 or more. Then mount bulk heads and tighten nuts on insides of both tanks. I have done it this way before, so I know it works.

I am:
      Cool

If space is an issue, you could make what you have work but like unbereefable said, it's not how the bulkheads are designed to work. If you use two bulkheads and join them with PVC, they would still be close to what you have now. The bulkheads, like all PVC unions, have a 1/2 inch lip that he PVC slides into. If you cut a 1 inch PVC length, the two bulkheads would touch each other and you wont even see the PVC coupler in between. It might even be closer then the image you have above if you mount the bulkheads with the threaded side pointing to each sump.

d-man is offline Registered User
      My status is: Just snorkeling in my tank

I am:
      Amused

DONT DO IT! If space is an issue then just use the one sump.
      Can u elevate the smaller one even a few inches? You could always have that drain into the other one a lil more vertically. Hard to explain like through words but it would work

They also make really skinny bulkheads to save space

I am:
      Cool

What the difference between coupling them and gravity feeding them? It's still going to go through a bulkhead.

I am:
      Tired

John suggested to add another nut to the outside of the second sump. Just to be safe. It will act as another flange of the bulk head. I think it should be good. All you need is a complete seal.

I'm hoping I'm right...I guess I'll find out when I test it.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

It would be so simple to use two bulkheads with the threads inside the sumps as Unbereefable suggested. You will lose no room between them and it will actually work. It is also a much tighter bond. Using one bulkhead is a very bad idea. It will leak, without a doubt. Why not just do it right the first time?
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

I am:
      Tired

Ok after some good convincing...I took everyone's advice! Lol

So does the rubber go on the outside or inside of the sumps? I have the nut on the inside obviously.

Please let me know so I can glue everything into place. Almost done filling it!

TIA

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Rubber gasket goes on wet side/inside

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by davocean View Post
      Rubber gasket goes on wet side/inside
      Thanks!

So while gluing the pieces together and pushing down on them to get a complete seal, i got glue on my shirt. Anyone know if this stuff comes out? lol

Almost done filling this baby up...got about another 150g yesterday from John, and waiting to get the rest from him and this thing should be up and running. Been cycling now with added bacteria for a week now. Will test parameters next week!

Might start setting up my qt soon for fish. So here's a question. Has anyone used their DT in hyposalinity after its been cycled as their QT system? That way the fish won't get stress being QT and being introduced to the DT. I was considering introducing the fish to the system and lowering the salinity and let them QT that way for 4-6weeks and then slowly bring up the salinity? I'll have a UV sterilizer going so hopefully that'll kill off any parasites in the water and then the fish will be already acclimated.

Any opinions or comments are suggested. Just trying to think outside the box. I already have a 55g long for the QT, just trying to see if there's an easier stress free way on getting fish into my tank safely without stressing them out thru QT and doing an additional transfer/acclimation to the DT.

TIA!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information