• + Reply to Thread
    Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Scripps Water : Google Map, Quality, Transport

Vayder1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by pk-sd
      So Tom how many bags of salts did they sell you after that?
      None actually, I changed out 30 gallons with Scripps water. I could care less about spending a few dollars on salt or saving a few, what I want to know is this: is there any validity to his statements?

djmuzzi is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

A. yes there are more nutrients in colder waters. Corals in the tropics get nutrients from cold-water upwellings (I know I spell like I am blind)

B. Kelp cannot grow in tropical waters.

C. Nutrients are not bad by any means (except for zeovit or pure acro tanks that don't have strong enough filtration) your LPS, clams & softies will be very gratefull for "live" water.

D. Phosphates are the cause for concearn & minor dieoff from temperate plankton & zooplankton being brought up to tropical temperatures beyond the issues already stated.

djmuzzi is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quick Red Tide question:

Is is a myth that Red Tide occurs in months with a particular letter in the name? This is what we were told on the East coast......

SanDiegoIllini is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by djmuzzi
      A. yes there are more nutrients in colder waters. Corals in the tropics get nutrients from cold-water upwellings (I know I spell like I am blind)

B. Kelp cannot grow in tropical waters.

C. Nutrients are not bad by any means (except for zeovit or pure acro tanks that don't have strong enough filtration) your LPS, clams & softies will be very gratefull for "live" water.

D. Phosphates are the cause for concearn & minor dieoff from temperate plankton & zooplankton being brought up to tropical temperatures beyond the issues already stated.
      Having been to the natural history museum this weekend (not worth the admission, btw) and seen their movie about the coastal waters off of Baja Calif, I can confirm that the cold-water upwellings are nutrient rich, and the strong upwelling there is are why the phyto/mysis populations off of Baja are much more concentrated there than elsewhere.

There was an Imax-sized screen full of orange sun corals at one point, very cool.

lucubrator is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I've noticed that if I bring water from scripps home and put it straight into the tank, lps extend their stingers, which I think means that they're eating.

jacksandgo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ok, one little rant here, even though it may not apply to anyone on this board, but who knows:

Would everyone PLEASE make sure that, when you're finished filling up at Scripp's Pier, you put the hose back so all parts of it are out of the roadway where trucks pull up to fill their tanks? It would also be nice if you'd make sure the end is not stuck in the freakin' mud either, but let's address the big issue first.

I'm now at a record 3 for 3 visits the past 6 weeks where I pull up late at night and the garden hose is looped out over the berm and right on the roadway where the trucks pull up to fill. I mean...c'mon people...this is free and a great asset. Show some respect and put the hose back near the spicket so it doesn't get run over and ruined. Make Darwin proud...or not...in the rest of your life, but put the freakin hose back where it belongs!

Rant over. Peace.
      Last edited by jacksandgo; 11-25-2006 at 06:23 PM.

pk-sd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by jacksandgo
      Ok, one little rant here, even though it may not apply to anyone on this board, but who knows:

Would everyone PLEASE make sure that, when you're finished filling up at Scripp's Pier, you put the hose back so all parts of it are out of the roadway where trucks pull up to fill their tanks? It would also be nice if you'd make sure the end is not stuck in the freakin' mud either, but let's address the big issue first.

I'm now at a record 3 for 3 visits the past 6 weeks where I pull up late at night and the garden hose is looped out over the berm and right on the roadway where the trucks pull up to fill. I mean...c'mon people...this is free and a great asset. Show some respect and put the hose back near the spicket so it doesn't get run over and ruined. Make Darwin proud...or not...in the rest of your life, but put the freakin hose back where it belongs!

Rant over. Peace.
      Just want to point out that there are lot of non-sdreefs members that use scripps water too. I usually run into surfers washing themselves up when I am there. But what you are saying is correct, but the culprits might not be from here.

johnc is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

how long have you guys stored this water before using? like if i keep about 10 gallons of this in buckets under my stand i should be ok if they are sitting for 2-3 weeks or so?

SDFISHMAN is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I've stored it up to 2 months..

johnc is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

thanks fish man..

not gonna start hoarding or anything but its nice to know i can keep some for a rainy day.

ringo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Can anyone of those trucks that supply water to LFS supply water to hobbyist also?

joemommaca is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quality of Scripps Water?

Hi, New to the forum. Notice many of you use Scripps water. I'm getting ready to setup a new 125g and was thinking of using the Scripps water. I wasn't sure it was still available since its been years. So, is this water clean enough to use for a fish/reef tank? Does it require any treatment before use? Is it better than making your own? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks,

pk-sd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by joemommaca
      Hi, New to the forum. Notice many of you use Scripps water. I'm getting ready to setup a new 125g and was thinking of using the Scripps water. I wasn't sure it was still available since its been years. So, is this water clean enough to use for a fish/reef tank? Does it require any treatment before use? Is it better than making your own? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks,
      Welcome to the forum Joe!

First six page of this thread will answer your questions. But just type the word "Scripps" in search box and you will get plenty of material on the subject.

So to answer your questions. 1)Yes, 2) No, but its a good idea and 3) yes.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Scripps parameters 2/18/07

I picked up a 55g drum of Scripps water tonight at 6:30pm. I tested it and came up with the following results:

CA - 400 ppm
      ALK - 2.74 meq/L
      KH - 7.7 dKH
      Mg - 1290 ppm
      PH - 8.0
      PO4 - .03
      Salinity - 1.029

All tests were done with Salifert kits and double-checked. Salinity checked with a refractometer. (I hate those cheesy plastic salinity checkers. Refractometers are so much better). I just thought I'd share.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

swissfish is offline Premium Member
      My status is: WuFlu fighting!

I am:
      Piratey

next someone here will tell you tha scripps usually is low on calcium .........bla bla bla

thanks for sharing
      Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,
      No one but ourselves can free our minds.
      Bob Marley

My Tank: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10341

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information