• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Scripps Water : Google Map, Quality, Transport

scubasteve is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Chillin and helpful

I am:
      Cool

I have seen water trucks down there.... so I asked what they needed so much water for? answer- "we deliver it to the fish stores". LOL! ;p I like the money I save with scripps.... plus it's nice driving down through La Jolla and watching the waves while you fill up. also there is other "scenerary" around the college! lol

kmooresd85 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I got water last night anyway, even though it rained in the morning. reading through the forum, im getting like 50/50 on whether its bad after rain or not. im gonna test everything out tonight prior to putting anything in. the water was crystal clear and didnt have any ordor or anything, but it hasnt been tested yet so we'll see i guess. fortunately, this is a completely new system so im not gonna lose a huge investment due to bad water at the time which is in part why i drove over to get the water

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by BigAir View Post
      NEVER has there been solid and scientific proof that NSW from Scripps caused a tank crash. That is just "brainwashing" by some retailers who CLAIM to have said proof to up sell their RODI and salt.
      WORD! I agree whole-heartedly!

Quote Originally Posted by 50 cube View Post
      I think some of the retail sponsors should let us know what they use in their show & retail tanks!
      And get an honest answer ()?! ... I think everyone would be VERY surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
      I have seen water trucks down there.... so I asked what they needed so much water for? answer- "we deliver it to the fish stores". LOL! ;p I like the money I save with scripps.... plus it's nice driving down through La Jolla and watching the waves while you fill up. also there is other "scenerary" around the college! lol
      They don't allow the 2" line to fill "water trucks" anymore. I'm assuming you mean, trucks with larger water containers? And yes... "fish stores" don't mix... can you imagine the cost?!

Scenery is often a plus!!! I tend to try and bring my own... as she helps me turn the water spigot on/off while I hold the hose INSIDE my Excursion, filling all (3) 60gal containers.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Maybe this will help those who want to mix, and think they're doing BEST for their tank;
      http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

And, I know of one company the Los Angeles wholesalers use for thousand gallon water deliveries;
      http://www.catalinawater.com/index.html
      A huge semi tractor trailer (looks like a milk trailer) pulls up, and starts pumping away!

... they deliver to San Diego (fish stores) too.

I almost met them at the wholesalers, when SCRIPPS was closed... to pump 600gallons onto my trailer (into containers of coarse!).
      But I found away around my problem at the time, and got my own NSW ... not from SCRIPPS. It was the cleanest water... just amazing.

Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 12-14-2012 at 09:39 AM.

rtco is offline Registered User
      My status is: Shhhhhredding

I am:
      Sneaky

Got 70G last night(~10PM), strainers had been off for a bit. Tested everything this AM, but left my notes at home when I left. ALL were normal as I recall.
      Standard water quality today, surfed a mean Blacks at 6, and quality was MUCH better than expected. Pumping barrels today too.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by rtco View Post
      Got 70G last night(~10PM), strainers had been off for a bit. Tested everything this AM, but left my notes at home when I left. ALL were normal as I recall.
      Standard water quality today, surfed a mean Blacks at 6, and quality was MUCH better than expected. Pumping barrels today too.
      cool! gonna test after work today but makes me feel a little better about it

Auggie is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

What I recall reading was not that NSW was the factor for a tank crash, but more often, NSW collected close to shore after a heavy rainfall may lead to algae blooms and other unwanted breakouts. Not that I have any experience with NSW as I am just now using NSW that I collected before the rain storm to cure my girlfriend's Pukani in preparation of setting up her 34g Solana (approximately 22 net gallons with 3" sand bed, rock work, and internal overflow). We will be using NSW for her tank since she works relatively close to Scripps Pier so filling up her little 2.5g Aqua-Pak for water changes would be relatively easy for her.

It's time for the 100% bi-weekly water change (10 gallons) of the curing tank but I'm hesitant to introduce potential nuisance algae due to the run off from the heavy rain we just went through; there are no "tests" that I'm aware of that can detect for such algae. I think I can wait several more days...

1904mike is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hey guys, I've never used the Scripps water before cause I've always had small tanks so I didn't mind the "cost" of mixing my own water. 5gallons isn't worth the drive from Poway to Scripps.
      I'm about to set up a bigger tank and would like to start using the Scripps water. I saw the picture on the first page, but when I get there will there be a sign or something, or is it painfully obvious where the hose/pipe is?

as for the "dirty" water discussion, I'd probably wait a few days just to be safe. no point adding storm drain runoff to your tank.
      Unless you NEED the water in an emergency situation or something. Why not wait a couple days.

Vince is offline Site Moderator
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Rain has never effected scripps for me-!! Even red tide was not an issue--Scripps on!!!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

its fairly obvious but there's some pictures of exactly what it looks like somewhere on this thread if you go through it. its a faucet between two poles with a hose attached

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

the sand filters they use are massive! I doubt there would ever be an issue as I have never have one.
      I've seen them backflush them also and there wasn't much that came off.
      I've used scripps water to breed clownfish that needed mass amounts of fresh live water daily
      I wouldn't have been able to do this without scripps!
      Last edited by Bogg; 12-14-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by kmooresd85 View Post
      its fairly obvious but there's some pictures of exactly what it looks like somewhere on this thread if you go through it. its a faucet between two poles with a hose attached
      Cool, thank you.

Leewong82 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Has anybody gotten water yet or do we still need to wait a while in bad need of a water change

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Well take this with a grain of salt...
      I went down yesterday and picked up 10 gallons for my 20g FOWLR tank. There is only one fish and about 20lbs of rock so if it crashed I wouldn't be out that much. the water didn't smell bad or look visibly dirty.
      I don't have a way to test for pollution or "dirty" water. water has been in the tank for 24 hours and looks great so far.
      I'm not too sure I would have gotten water for the 72g reef I'm about to setup, but others on this site say they don't wait after the rain and have not had issues.

Keep in mind I'm also the guy that surfs/bodyboards without waiting the 72hours recommended.
      Oh and thanks for this thread, I can't believe I've never gotten water from scripps before. Also can't believe how fast that hose fills a 5g bucket.

wallydizzle is offline Site Sponsor
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

^^ that hose pressure is a BEAST, i was filling up my rubbermaid and the hose flew out and almost nail two pedestrians walking nearby with NSW. Thank god it barely missed.

Love Scripps water! Been reefing for 6 years and been basically living in La Jolla for almost a year now with my GF. Just finally started filling up and using it 3 weeks ago and am sold on it! I've been such an idiot having access to it (5 mins drive away) these past 1.5 years and not taking advantage of it. My little extra is buffering it with BRS 2 part solution.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information