• + Reply to Thread
    Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Scripps Water : Google Map, Quality, Transport

Photobug is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ChouDawg View Post
      When I did water changes I ran a PH and heater on the water to get it aerated and up to temperature before adding it to the tank
      I don't even do that so far. I have been adding 5 gallons to a 75 gallon total tank. I drain 5 gallons and I add the 5 gallons at 3 intervals over 20 minutes. I figure the percentage of the tank is less than 10 percent and the slow addition gives the tank time to aerate and heat up before anyone notices the change.

wallydizzle is offline Site Sponsor
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thinking about picking up some water this Saturday. I know it was pouring this past monday and hopefully no more for the rest of the week. Should I be concern or the water should be safe by saturday??

BigAir is offline Registered User
      My status is: In pain

I am:
      Piratey

It is fine.

baldbean is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

I picked up water the day after the initial rain. No odd smell or color. I even tested for phosphates with my Salifert test and it came out at 0.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
      I don't even do that so far. .........
      And I do EVEN LESS!

... 240gal tank (135gal sump or about 80gal of water, and 50gal of frag tank = total of about 370gal of water), gets a water transfusion every 3-4 months of 120gals.

Simple easy steps;
      1. I simply start a siphon on the main tank. Draining it out to the side of my house.
      2. I begin pumping cold SCRIPPS from my truck, into my sump.
        I never shut off any return pumps, or filtration.
        I watch the level in my sump, making sure it maintains constant correct level.
      3. I do this for (2) 60gal containers
      4. Once empty, I roll up the hose and put away my empty containers.
        Takes all of 40minutes.

For those storing NSW, it's always best to keep it away from the extremes of the environment. Going from cold to hot, and back to cold every day isn't good for any organisms living in the water. Same with leaving it so it's not aerating. Not good. IF YOU MUST store NSW, it's best in a garage or room where the temperature doesn't fluctuate and if you can... toss an air pump, or powerhead into the container.

And SCRIPPS is most often tested with 0 phosphates. It's an excellent source for NSW, even if it's raining. Rarely does it get stormy enough to stir up the water out where the SCRIPPS pipe inlet is located. Big waves, high winds... will stir up the water just as much as light rains.

I've never had a problem, and I've used SCRIPPS since the late '80s. Never worrying about anything but a heavy red tide (where diving visibility is near zero).

(IMO) It's always best, to pick up your water when you plan to do a water change... not storing it for more then a day.
      Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 12-05-2012 at 04:05 PM.

kmooresd85 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So after a day like today, where its been raining kinda hard all morning, the water is still safe to use? if so i wanna get down there cuz i really need water to fill a 40 gallon and my i would mix but my new ro unit wont arrive till monday

ninhsavestheday is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

hit or miss

some people got nsw on rainy days and claim that it crashed their tank.

I got it on a rainy day before and after, and never experienced any negative effects.

Its up to you, but do it with caution.

kmooresd85 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

well the tank is new and completely empty so i think ill just get some and test before i put anything in. all my rock for this setup will be here tomorrow so fingers crossed the water is good

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by kmooresd85 View Post
      So after a day like today, where its been raining kinda hard all morning, the water is still safe to use? if so i wanna get down there cuz i really need water to fill a 40 gallon and my i would mix but my new ro unit wont arrive till monday
      Last night and this morning was a hard rain... enough, where I'd wait at minimum three days.
      ... I'm sure it stirred up all kinds of good, and bad. I have no proof it did or didn't, it's just a hunch of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ninhsavestheday View Post
      some people got nsw on rainy days and claim that it crashed their tank.....
      Ya, and I believe those who "claim" that had other issues beforehand, and/or their water change methods aren't standard. I don't know... That's just my opinion.

I've used SCRIPPS for 20yrs and a rainy day never fell on the day I needed water. NOR, have I wanted to go get water on a wet or rainy day. So, really... unless you HAVE TO HAVE the water... just wait. What's the rush?! ... I did 150 gallon water "transfusion" on my 240 a few days ago. And my tanks temp dropped from 77 to 72 for the hour. Not a single issue... and as always... thriving corals and fish.

Navyaero is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      Last night and this morning was a hard rain... enough, where I'd wait at minimum three days.
      ... I'm sure it stirred up all kinds of good, and bad. I have no proof it did or didn't, it's just a hunch of mine.

Ya, and I believe those who "claim" that had other issues beforehand, and/or their water change methods aren't standard. I don't know... That's just my opinion.

I've used SCRIPPS for 20yrs and a rainy day never fell on the day I needed water. NOR, have I wanted to go get water on a wet or rainy day. So, really... unless you HAVE TO HAVE the water... just wait. What's the rush?! ... I did 150 gallon water "transfusion" on my 240 a few days ago. And my tanks temp dropped from 77 to 72 for the hour. Not a single issue... and as always... thriving corals and fish.
      I dunno people have hundreds some even thousands invested in their corals and livestock i just don't think it is worth the risk. Possibly have your tank crash just to save a few bucks.,..........

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

Hes used it 20 years
      I've used it 10 years

No problems

To each is own really, IMO all the bs about how bad it is
      Is all derived from lfs trying to sell you ro di units and fake ocean salt in a box

Funny I see them down there filling up mass amounts of it.

It just gets old really it's a sore subject like ford vs Chevy
      Last edited by Bogg; 12-13-2012 at 09:38 PM.

50 cube is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Navyaero View Post
      I dunno people have hundreds some even thousands invested in their corals and livestock i just don't think it is worth the risk. Possibly have your tank crash just to save a few bucks.,..........
      I've been using scripps since 1980 ( you do the math) & have never had a tank meltdown. Your statement that we spend hundreds if not thousands on our tanks is accurate. Do you really believe that we would risk the well being of our livestock just to "save a few bucks" That is absurd.

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Navyaero View Post
      ........ i just don't think it is worth the risk. ..........
      What "risk" are you talking about? ... a tank "crash"?

If so, I've never experienced it. And I've used thousands of gallons from SCRIPPS. Never... and mark my word, never have I used mix/RODI.

How can NSW be a risk?

Ever wonder how the large wholesalers do their water changes and what they use?
      ... they use NSW! Yup... they don't sit around mixing hundreds of pounds of sea salt and RODI... they use NSW, pulled from our same Pacfic Ocean. Wonder how many 'crashes' they've had. PfffffT.

Ehhh... it's such a he-said she-said topic that it really needs it's own thread.

AND.... ya know what, IT IS polluted. Total bacteria infestation. You name it... total sesspool. The more who think that, the less people at the pier's spigot.

BigAir is offline Registered User
      My status is: In pain

I am:
      Piratey

NEVER has there been solid and scientific proof that NSW from Scripps caused a tank crash. That is just "brainwashing" by some retailers who CLAIM to have said proof to up sell their RODI and salt.

50 cube is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

I think some of the retail sponsors should let us know what they use in their show & retail tanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information