• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Scripps Water : Google Map, Quality, Transport

SDFISHMAN is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hey Maus do you know if the water conditions are safe to pick water today ?? LMK thanks...

Paul is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Question

What's the number to call? Lucubrator posted 858 534 as the number but at only 6 digits, it must be incomplete. I've seen tankers there two of the five times I've been there to date.

Another question... Since I'm doing a cool water tank with local fishes only, do I still need to add in the Calcium and Carbonate to the Scripps water?

I was at Petco tonight looking for the chemicals. Carbonate in the form of RedSea Buff at 415 ML was 14.99 and Kent Marine Liquid Calcium at 236 ML was 7.99.

Yes or no?

-Paul

lucubrator is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The number is posted on the sign above the spigot. It's area code 858, and ucsd has prefix 534, I don't remember ther est of the number.

Given that you're using local animals, and that you're taking their water as a supply, I doubt if you'd need to add anything. The rest of us are using SD water to replicate south pacific waters. If you're not keeping anything that builds a skeleton (I'm not really familiar with local corals), then I doubt if you need to add anything.

Dakota is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
      What's the number to call? Lucubrator posted 858 534 as the number but at only 6 digits, it must be incomplete. I've seen tankers there two of the five times I've been there to date.

Another question... Since I'm doing a cool water tank with local fishes only, do I still need to add in the Calcium and Carbonate to the Scripps water?

I was at Petco tonight looking for the chemicals. Carbonate in the form of RedSea Buff at 415 ML was 14.99 and Kent Marine Liquid Calcium at 236 ML was 7.99.

Yes or no?

-Paul

Personally, I'd stay away from Petco and the like for salt water chemicals. They tend to be pricey, and of a lower caliber. The Kent stuff is good stuff, but not sure about the RedSea. The best addative Ca/Buff out there (or among the best) is probalby the B-ionic sytem. The system I've been using is a little bit of Kalkwasser dripped with the addition of Kent's Liquid Reactor. I've been very very pleased with the results thus far (once I got my Magnesium levels up).

But as lucubrator said, local animals are using local water, so I don't think you'll need to worry about calcium much since there are no calcium based animals aside from snails, which I'm sure can utilize the 350 ppm or so of Ca in the local water (or whatever the amount it, I forget).

maus42 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by SDFISHMAN
      Hey Maus do you know if the water conditions are safe to pick water today ?? LMK thanks...
      Water is not looking to hot right now.

And just for everyone's future information- the following website is helpful for checking the condition of our coastal waters.

pk-sd is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Anyone picked-up Scripps water since the rain this weekend? I need some water for a new setup.
      Current tanks
      1) 160g peninsula (48x30x26), Vertex illumina LED
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...tion-with-160g

2) 40g Nuvo Nano fusion.

My Feeedback:
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...-sd-s-Feedback

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Well tonight I am making two trips. Need about 100 gallons. I hope water is OK.
      Current tanks

2) 40g Nuvo Nano fusion.

My Feeedback:

crstjohn is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Access to Scripps water will be closed on Sunday morning 4/23 due to the La Jolla Half Marathon.

Slickgib is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i have a reef tank and want to use scripps water. what do i need to add to the water to make it safe for my tank. does it really need to sit?

BigAir is offline Registered User
      My status is: In pain

I am:
      Piratey

You don't need to add anything. You can let it sit, but people do use it right away, myself included. Just make sure you warm it up first.

Since scripps came up, one of my customers was out at on the water last weekend, and said the red tide was just off dana, and out at the cornados.

Slickgib is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

how cold is it. whenever i add water its usually room temp... i can let it sit in the sun forawhile, is scripps water better then actually mixxing salt. imsure its easyier but you know... for the tank

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Slickgib
      how cold is it. whenever i add water its usually room temp... i can let it sit in the sun forawhile, is scripps water better then actually mixxing salt. imsure its easyier but you know... for the tank
      Your Scripps water should be the same temperature as your tank water. Use a heater to warm the water. Water should not be exposed to sunlight for too long, it will encourage unwanted algae growth.

Is Scripps better than mixing salt? Its a debate that never ends. Personal preference. I like it because its easier and it the real thing (not synthetic). Majority of the people on this board use Scripps water (except for the ones that live in Temecula)
      Current tanks

2) 40g Nuvo Nano fusion.

My Feeedback:

BigAir is offline Registered User
      My status is: In pain

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Slickgib
      That water is around 60 or so when it is picked up. In a way it is better, as we can not recreate mother nature with synthetic salts and additives. On the other hand, it does have it's down side as well. You do run the chance of putting something undesireable in the tank, but that has not happened to me as of yet. I have been useing scripps exclusively for over a year with no probs other than what I have created.
      They way I see it is, If it is good enough to keep all those tanks at Birch alive and well, it is good enough for my tanks. They have a far more delicate and valuable creatures than any of us have, and they live in that water. So....
      The one thing to keep in mind, is that scripps salinity sits around 1.026/.027, so you will probably want to add some DI to thin it out.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Speaking of all those tanks at scripps...
      I was there yesterday, and they now have one of those scorpionfish that you can look through the eye. Their leafy dragons are looking good, and I think one of the male seahorses (not the dragons) is carrying babies.
      Some of their tanks aren't looking so hot though. For example, their mushroom tank has flatworms the size of dimes, and the tank next to it is full of majano anemonies.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Also, there's no real need to dilute the water. They don't dilute it in their tropical coral tank, and they have pocillopora growing on their pipes that doesn't look like it was glued there.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information